Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
ngreen

Default Wiring Diagram for 1998 Gulfstream 5th Wheel

I have been searching for a wiring diagram for our 1998 Gulf stream Sea hawk 5th wheel. None of the owners manuals I find online have a complete wiring schematic.
TIA
ngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen View Post
I have been searching for a wiring diagram for our 1998 Gulf stream Sea hawk 5th wheel. None of the owners manuals I find online have a complete wiring schematic.
TIA
What is your specific problem that you need the wiring diagram for? Maybe we can better help from that direction.?
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
Ranger

Default Also looking for wiring schematics/diagram

We own a 94 GS Sea Hawk with some issues within the wiring from the previous owner. We are also looking for a service manual(s) for wiring and the like. We are also doing a complete remodel in the trailer given we paid almost nothing for it, its in relatively good shape, and with the cost factored in for a new 5th wheel of the same size with slides...it makes sense to upgrade rather than buy new at this point. If it is known by someone, where we can obtain said manuals, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Sudsy

Default Older Gulf Streams

I have been told by Gulf Stream that if your unit is older than a 2003 they no longer have any documentation. I called about my 2005. They only have limited info on my unit. So your only hope is to find someone that happens to have something. I think they had a fire.

Now I will also go as far as say that there never was much as far as wiring diagrams. I got the entire huge folder that came from GS with my 2005. The original owner was good about that at least. There is a lot of info there but a wiring diagram is nowhere to be found in the documentation. I have a hard time tracing wires since my unit is just loaded with spray foam that keeps the ride quiet.

I will also go as far s to say that no manufacturer provided wiring diagrams that I know of. I have had three different campers and have never had a wiring diagram. For the most part the info you get with a new camper is a little brochure that covers all that years models and floor plans. The rest of the info are the individual books for the appliances, heat and AC systems, refrigerator and water heater. Armed with that and the ability to see where the wires are routed should make it possible to troubleshoot and repair any camper. Even mine after I dig a bunch of foam out. I replace it with expanding foam insulation called Great Stuff. Don't put too much in enclosed areas since it expands a lot. (there is a different type of Great Stuff that doesn't expand so much.)

Well sorry for the bad news. What exactly are you chasing?

Sudsy
Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Ranger

Thank you for the information...as this is our first RV, we're not real familiar with the systems. I have a fairly broad knowledge of electrical and the like after owning a street rod / race car shop for many years, and being in construction trades for the wood working end has proven valuable...but the fact is, trailers are a little different. We purchased the trailer with a non functioning heat/air system...the heater and air conditioner were there, but the thermostat was missing. When I bought a thermostat, installation went well until there was two red wires, instead of the single that the diagram showed. Issue two was the presence of two large gauge white wires that were in the same area, but didnt seem to go to anything...little things like this are what are going on. The electrical system seems to be (at this point) good as the outlets work, all the twelve volt system seems to function other than the door handle light leads....just small annoyances. This is why I thought a wiring schematic would be nice.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Sudsy

Default Thermostat Wiring

I just changed out my original thermostats (I have 2) for some cheap basic non-programmable Digital Thermostats. Here's a couple pictures of the original wiring before I did the swap.

Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-10-11 17.16.31.jpg (202.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-10-11 17.16.44.jpg (195.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
THenne1713

TIP: When searching for WIRING for your rig, do NOT search for GS Seahawk, but you WILL find results if you search under the brand/ Model ## for the air conditioner, and/ or furnace and/or Thermostat. This also applies to engine/ chassis, look to Ford, Chevy, MB, etc by Model/ Serial. LUCK TO YA... TIP#2: When gathering Brand/Model/ Serial, use your phone and ALSO TAKE PICTURES, they can save you many return trips to the rig to answer the 1000 other questions
Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
THenne1713

TIP: Just recall that "programmable/ digital" is another phantom load/ (12v drain), and battery loss can require reprogramming
Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
THenne1713

TIP #3: Setup electronic Folder on your computer for Rig (e.g. Gulfstream99-6266) with subfolders by Brand/ MFR (e.g. Suburban, Carefree, Dicor, Dometic)… then, periodically, you can with 1-click COPY it all to a Flash drive that you can take on the road w/ you and/ or share/ backup.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #10
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
TIP: Just recall that "programmable/ digital" is another phantom load/ (12v drain), and battery loss can require reprogramming
My programable digital thermostat (house style) runs off a regular battery and is independent of the rig power.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
Ranger

Thanks for the info...im changing from the sweep style mercury to digital, and there were a couple extra wires that threw me...(two reds versus one) and a couple that were not present. Ill figure it out. Thank you for the pics and advice.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #12
Sudsy

Default Thermostat Change

Here's a procedure I used. With this and a volt meter I was able to figure it out. I used different thermostats that I got on Amazon for $19 each (I have two)

http://www.modmyrv.com/2012/01/03/mo...tal-thermostat

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remember to leave the switch set for oil/gas heater. Not Heat Pump. 7.4 volt is not used. I am installing small voltage regulators to replace the batteries. These are available from model airplane sources. They are known as 3.3v UBEC.

Sudsy

Tags
5th wheel, electrical, wiring