Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
Trnelson

Default Generator not supplying juice, Conquest 6320

Hello all:

New to this, but having lots of fun.

Recently purchased a Conquest 6320 and have taken it out to a few spots in Wisconsin, all with shore power.

The other day, started up the genny (Cummins), but despite the genny running, the coach had no power. Used a voltmeter to check AC outlets - nothing.

When shore power is connected, coach is powered and everything works as expected.

I'm a little frustrated with the lack of documentation provided by Gulfstream, but this forum has been quite helpful.

However, it also seems that everyone's coach is a little different.

My questions for everyone out there:

1. Where is the on-board breaker on the Cummins generator (I assume there is one, right?)?
2. Where is the automatic transfer switch? (there is a panel under the fridge, but it looks like a fuse/breaker panel and not the ATS). I was able to trace a line from the area where shore power is connected, which is behind a dresser drawer, but the line then goes through a wall. There is no ATS-looking box under the bed, under sink area in bathroom, or under sink in kitchen. Also, there is no hardware mounted within any of the storage bays.

Very frustrating, especially considering this thing is brand new.

Do any Conquest owners out there have any advice?

Thanks,
Todd
Trnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
Trnelson

Default More info

Just opened up the fuse box thing below the fridge.

As I suspected, its a combination panel of breakers (AC) and fuses (DC). From taking it off, I learned that below the panel, there is an inverter. One of the breakers feeds into the inverter and the output goes to the DC fuses.

However, still no sign of the elusive automatic transfer switch. I am suspicious that it is located behind the panel I took off, as there appears to be a rats nest of wires within another compartment just behind the breakers/fuse/inverter box I exposed.

I hoped that the ATS would be located in a more obvious and accessible area, but as I stated before I've look high and low without success.

I will look a little closer tomorrow and report back findings. In the meantime, if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

T.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
Leisure Time Larry

Hi Todd,

It is fun when everything is working like it is supposed to, but frustrating when it's not. Even though your rig is new, the components haven't changed all that much over the years. They don't supply anything of use on these coaches! Just safety stuff really. I'm sure it's go get us to go to the service centers. Welcome to getting intimate with your rig. Unless somebody else comes along that knows for sure the location(s) you need, you'll have to hunt down everything.

First, have you ever successfully powered the coach with the genny?

It sounds like you are on the right track. I would start in the compartment with the generator and try to find a circuit breaker switch. If you're unable to locate one, try to at least find the model and S/N on the generator. I had to look up the manual for my generator (Generac Guardian, not Cummins) using this information. I keep a .pdf copy of the operator's manual and the parts manual for it on my laptop and in the cloud now.

My transfer switch ('05 5211) is in an area behind where the circuit breaker/fuse box panel is, along with the converter. For me it is under a wardrobe closet. It most likely is there as you suspect. I would hope it's not that. It's probably a pain to get to. Good luck.
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
McKannick

Default Hidden controls?

I've only dealt with towables, so onboard generators are unfamiliar territory. I personally can't see the 'logic' in putting a system transfer switch behind or under other control panels, like the fuse panel or anywhere else not easily accessible. Did find a pdf manual (generic for your brand) for Cummins gens. https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf

I'll suggest you check in various places they may have 'hidden' it, perhaps inside a cabinet? Any out of place or odd knobs or switches on the dashboard? The water heater switch in our last TT was 'hidden' underneath the overhead cabinets over the kitchen sink. One would never see it unless sitting down at the dinner table and looking toward the light fixture over the sink. Logic (why would they use logic, they may save a buck doing something stupid) would have one looking at or near the other feature controls, such at the tank monitor panel.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
Chuck v

Todd,

I am not at all familiar with the Conquest (but certainly have encountered the lack of usable information in the packets being supplied with a coach -- even my large Diesel Pusher...) I suspect that when you mentioned "inverter" above you may have been actually describing the converter -- the device that powers the RV's DC loads off shore power when it is available... My coach has both an Inverter and a converter, as the inverter powers the residential refrigerator that only runs on 115v AC. Because of this, there are actually two transfer switches in my coach.

The main transfer switch is under the bed where the converter is also located. The basement bay just below this is where the power reel for the 50 amp shore power is located, so it is a more logical location than you might at first think. This transfer switch select between the shore power and the diesel generator (in my case 220 volt @ 35 amp) so both air conditioners can be operated in either case. Downstream of that transfer switch is the Generator/inverter complex. When the generator is not operating, there is a transfer switch in the inverter that allows it to power selected AC loads like the refrigerator, basement freezer, etc. if the generator is not running at the moment. This second transfer switch is I believe internal to the massive Inverter which is in a basement bay just below the driver's seat -- note that the inverter contains a battery charger that services the 4 golf cart batteries which supply the DC into the inverter to make into 115 VAC when needed. On my coach this bank of batteries is also what cranks/starts the diesel generator.

There are of course other battery banks on my coach -- two diesel start batteries for the main engine, and two more for the 'house' loads like the lights, etc. These two banks do have disconnect switches located at the stairwell so you can shut them off as you exit for a prolonged time away from the coach if you need to. Obviously these two switches actually control high current actuators in a rear basement bay on the curb side adjacent to the battery banks for engine and house.

Since I live in my coach more than 50% of the time, I have added a battery maintainer to my diesel start batteries to keep them up...normally they would only be charged when the engine is running.

Sorry for the long post -- hope some of it might be helpful.

Chuck

...oh, and the water heater switch on my coach to allow AC power to heat the water instead of propane IS in the same panel as all the other controls and level indicators...score one for logic for the really expensive, large diesel pusher class of coaches.

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
Trnelson

Default Solved

Hi again:

Thanks for your posts and suggestions.

Larry - yes, absolutely agree that getting intimate will be important. Certainly, this will take time. Thanks for your advice.

Chuck - yes, your nomenclature is more accurate. It is a converter and not inverter. Thanks for the correction.

McKannick - thanks for the manual re the genny.

The manual allowed me to confirm my suspicions. The breaker (which I had a hard time finding, but was very clearly labeled in the manual) was thrown.

Everything now works as expected. I'm just happy that it was something silly.

Thanks again,
Todd
Old 11-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Chuck v

Glad you got it sorted out!! Information is power, and for some reason GS wants to reserve as much power as it can to itself -- try getting wiring diagrams from them.

But this forum has information to share also, and we hope you find it welcoming here.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

I bought a 99 Conquest Class-C this year, and have studied every page of every manual, but stumbled across Jayco website and downloaded (one of) their 137-page manuals; interesting theirs 137 where GS is 37; interesting read, so many furnishings same/ similar amongst MFRs.
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

For emergency generator diesels maintenance, practice is run weekly 30-minutes and monthly Under Full (normal) Load; suspect that is recommended for most RV gas or diesel chassis or generator engines also? With battery inspections and maintenance at same.
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6320, automatic transfer switch, conquest, generator, power