Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #141
tinapetel

Default Re: Gulf Stream Visa

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3729#p17333

Above is a link to photos of my visa lift kit. I just called Gulfstream and placed the order. It was about $150.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #142
jeg1944

OK. So you have to call instead of ordering online. Thanks for the help..
jeg1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #143
jeg1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg1944
OK. So you have to call instead of ordering online. Thanks for the help..
In line with this post, I found out that Gulfstream will not sell to an individual. They told me I had to use a RV dealer to order the part. However, they did begrudgingly gave up the part number for the kit. FYI, it is 021AR7. It cost $88.64 though a local RV dealer. Southern RV in Tyler TX has been very helpful, more so than Gulfstream has been and because of that I will probably have them install it..
Old 09-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #144
jward52

I don't know what the quality of those older Visa 19s is but the newer ones leave a lot to be desired. Here's text of a letter I will snail-mail to GS tomorrow:

GULF STREAM
503 South Oakland Ave
Nappanee, Indiana 46550

RE: Visa Travel Trailer, Model Number - D19RBS, VIN – 1NL1DTH20D1029363

My wife and I purchased the above referenced trailer from Annie Rae RV in DeWitt, Mi, at an RV show in February 2013. Since then, we’ve had to return the trailer to the dealer several times for warranty repair work, including one item that couldn’t be resolved due to the poor quality of the components. That was ill-fitting window screens that had gaps of up to ¼ inch at the corners. Since the replacement parts didn’t fix the problem, I used black vinyl tape to stop bugs from flying in when the windows were open.

Last fall, while the RV was parked at my property for use during hunting season, a mouse found out how to get in and left a huge mess…the rodent’s entry point was an unplugged three-inch hole in the floor where the ¾-inch hot and cold water drain tubes exited. I wonder how the factory and the dealer missed that. I fixed the problem with a plastic coffee container lid, screws, and flat caulking strips.

Also, just last week, I noticed a leak in the roof over the bathroom sink. The dealer’s service person had to remove the molding at the top corner, dry out the inside of the walls, reseal it, and reinstall the molding. Since the RV is now out of warranty, we had to pay for an hour of labor and materials totaling nearly $90.

We never had those kinds of problems with our two previous RVs, a Fleetwood and a Jayco. We are very disappointed in the lack of quality in materials and workmanship in this trailer. We realize this is an RV intended for the budget-minded consumer, but we still expect quality workmanship. We shouldn’t have to worry about bugs and mice getting in the RV and the roof leaking, especially with an RV that is less than two years old with less than 1,000 miles on it.

Sincerely,
Robert J. Ward
jward52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #145
cankicker

Hi Robert,
Not sure if you have seen any of my posts, but I have a 2 month old 2015 17RWD for just the Mrs and I.

Ultralight construction seems to mean flimsy and cheap since after buying it I have had a chance to really look it over, and notice things that I had overlooked in my "buyers blindness".
Things such as hastily sealed parts on the exterior where the clear sealant looks under or over smeared, little to no sealing where pipes/tubes enter or exit the frame underneath, unfinished plywood edges on access panels under bed and seats where we have gotten splinters, carpet remnants used as cushioning material for water pump, some water puddled on the floor under the dining room table (I still don't know where it came from), etc...
Unfortunately, very hastily thrown together and shows a typical "old school" Amish way of building with whatever is at hand. I don't blame the Amish as much as the Mfg for not providing them the appropriate materials for the job. I also have the same gaps around the window screens as you but haven't had a chance to bother with it. I have no GS dealers near me, so I will have to fix as needed on my own.
i just bought some stainless wool and some great stuff to seal as much as possible before winterizing. I am very grateful though that they were considerate enough to have included a winterizing kit on the pump, and a bypass on the WH. Will make my job much easier.

For the price, I am mostly satisfied with my TT although in a few years will look closely at the Casita and Oliver for a bit more money.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00756(1).jpg (232.6 KB, 3546 views)
cankicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #146
Guylene

Hello to all!
I am new to this board, I am also an almost new owner of a VISA 19erd.
I really enjoy reading everyones comments, this is a great way to get informations
We purchased our TT almost a year ago and traveled from campsite to campsite for 3 months non stop and never had any problem with it except for it being to low. We live in BC. Canada and I was wondering if anyone knows where we can buy the lift kit that everyone is talking about.
Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the manual awning on the VISA 19erd, I'm wanting to purchase the Carefree extra room.
By the way we really enjoy our TT, it is perfect for the 2 of us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10520098_10152136319111447_7257742685550078662_n.jpg (110.9 KB, 3312 views)
Old 10-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #147
cankicker

Welcome!
We almost bought a Vista 19RBS, but being my first TT I was scared of buying too large for just the two of us, and didn't want anything too heavy that my 6 cyl couldn't handle. So we ended up with the 17RWD.
No regrets other than it would be nice to have a queen bed.

BTW, I have read that most have contacted GS directly to buy the lift kit. I thought of it also, but have heard the TT will wander more on the road being higher up (and more wind underneath). You will also need to get a step stool of sorts since the steps will also be too high.

Cheers!
John
cankicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #148
jeg1944

Hey Guylene,
I had the lift kit installed and have no problems with towing. Step is still a reasonable distance but if needed one could use a step stool. I believe your photo shows that you already use a step. If you scan my other posts on this blog you will see the part number for the kit. Gulfstream will not sell to an indivdual so I had a local RV dealer ( Southern RV Tyler,TX ) order and install it. Enjoy.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #149
samaraknell

thanks for welcoming and what about gulf stream visa ?
and what do you think of sms gps tracker
samaraknell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #150
jayrock

Good morning, just bought a used 2011 Visa 19RSD in January. And had a couple quick questions if anyone could help me out that would be great.

1) is there an external propane hook-up for a BBQ
2) is there any mod I could do to hang curtains at the upper and lower bunk. My 8 and 6 year old want curtains.
3) can the back bumper support the weigh of a bike rack , or is it best just to put the bikes inside.
4) is the water heater gas only or is it electric as well.
5) which is the best add-a-room option

I am sure I will have more, but this is it for now.

Looking forward to the snow to be gone so I can pick it up and get out there. Will be nice not to have to set up the old tent trailer any more.
jayrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #151
Guylene

-I have the 19 erd and the gas hook up is under near the front.
-We did install a trailer hitch for our bikes, welded to the frame at a cost of $400.
-Get extension curtain rods for the bunks or shower rod.
-yes the water heater is gas only
-carefree is the best add on room for me.

Hope this helps
Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #152
jayrock

perfect. Thank you very much.

Keep the answers and suggestions coming. THanks
jayrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #153
tinapetel

There is an external propane hook-up on my 19' Visa, curbside,about halfway between the door and the front end of the trailer,under the frame.

2) is there any mod I could do to hang curtains at the upper and lower bunk. My 8 and 6 year old want curtains.
3) can the back bumper support the weigh of a bike rack , or is it best just to put the bikes inside.

These Visa's, when loaded, are very close to their weight limits of 3800#. The tires and axle seem to be the limiting factor. Adding extra weight to the very rear of the trailer would only add to this problem. You may find guidance from others whom have done this. In any case weigh you trailer at a truck stop when it is loaded ready to go traveling. Make sure you are under 3800#

Mine was gas only. I added a "Hot Rod" electric heater to mine. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... llon/47672

5) which is the best add-a-room option

Never seen one on a Visa, but I would be interested also in this.

Pete Collins
Old 03-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #154
RinconVTR

Yes, look for the quick connect under the body, likely many feet to the right of the entry door.

Yes, many privacy curtains are available, which hang from a simple lightweight track from the ceiling. They are not easy to find, but they do exist. We have them in our 23BHD, and I see them in many other TT's with double bunks.
https://www.campingworld.com/order/wiza ... d_group=11

Yes, BUT its not a typical install. See my post.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3753&p=19785#p19785

All water heaters in the Visa/Vista line are GAS.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #155
mefrige

Hello all...Thank you for all your posts.

We are picking up our "New" 2013 Visa RSD this month and are very grateful for all your comments. We will be doing a thorough inspection especially as this has been sitting around on the dealer's lot for some time, but I couldn't turn down the price.. I am considering the Paktron Micro rollers - does anyone know if the they can be welded or bolted to the rear bumper?

Also I called Gulfstream to find out if there had been any warranty claims on this unit and they couldn't tell me...any suggestions on how to find out, other than outright asking the dealer?

Much appreciated.
mefrige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #156
MikeK

What size is your RSD?

We have a 2013 Vista 23 RSD and love it.
https://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbmjsyrcu.jpg
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #157
mefrige

It is the 23RSD sorry....Have you had any issues with sealant cracking or tire rot, our units are about the same age - this RSD has been on the dealer's lot in the elements for three years I have some concerns. Also any issues with the rear bottoming out? Do you use a Seay/WD hitch?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 AM   #158
MikeK

Just inspect the silicone sealant and recaulk as needed. No tire rot but again inspect tires regularly. No problem bottoming out. I put on a 2" reciever on the back (100 lbs max) for a bike rack. Yes I do use a WDH w/ sway bar. It's much safer with more control . Getting ready to take out of storage and GO. Hope the info helps HAPPY CAMPING
Old 04-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #159
mefrige

Thanks Mike. I should be picking it up in a couple of weeks from the dealer. I will be pulling with a '06Tundra - did you need a step down hitch ball? Happy camping.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:35 AM   #160
MikeK

If you are using a WDH, it's adjustable