Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
MotorCityBear

Default New Flooring

I recently bought a 1999/2000 GS Yellowstone Class C. It is in great shape and has 23,000 miles on it. This is my first RV.

The carpet under the dinette and jackknife side is worn out. I want to replace it with laminate wood flooring.

My question is, can I just unscrew the dinette bench seat "boxes" and the sofa to remove the old carpet?

Any other advice on replacing the flooring would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this post!
Class C
MotorCityBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
JIMNINA

Default Re: New Flooring

Sorry I dont have any real working advice but thought I would throw out what we have been told.
We've been looking at replacing the carpet in our 04 Yellowstone and have decided to go with vinyl planking instead of the wood products. Most of the flooring folks we spoke to told us that since we don't full time the humidity and heat would create havoc with the wood flooring. We live in Florida so we tend to believe what they have told us. We were also concerned with the thickness of the laminate and wondered if it would hinder the slide as it went in and out.
JIMNINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
03heritagerider

I plan on replacing my carpeting this summer. We own rental property and I have been using a product that is fairly indestructable under tenant use (many are careless or abusive to carpeting).

I've been using Alure flooring from Home Depot (I have no vested interest in Alure or Home Depot)

The product is available in several styles and wood grain colors. It is made of vinyl and is similar in feel and weight to auto mud flaps. The color goes all the way through so scratches are almost unnoticable. Since it is vinyl, it is impervious to moisture or rot and it is flexible to hide many imperfections under it. it is also a floating floor and easily installed. I can do an 12x14 room in a couple of hours. It's also very easy to clean with a damp mop or broom.

There are two different versions. I prefer the "Classic" Alure rather than their "Ultra" version. It comes in 36"x6" planks (24 sq. ft. per box) and is about $50.00 box. Each plank has a contact cement strip that adheres to the next strip. Once you get the first row down, it's just a matter of sticking the next row down to the previous one. Cutting around corners is the most time consuming, but it can all be done with a utility knife. the only tools I need to install are a knife, straight edge, tape measure and pencil.

The reason I prefer the original to the Ultra version is that the classic uses about a half inch glue strip to connect the planks. The Ultra uses a tongue and groove glue strip that (for me) was difficult to maneuver.

After installing in many of our rentals in bathrooms, kitchens and even living rooms and bed rooms, I think it would be a great upgrade in our coach. It is also just slightly thinner than most carpeting/padding combinations, so I doubt there would be any issue there. In fact, in many of our installations, I've had to lower the quarter round trim to meet the flooring.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
JIMNINA

Hey 03heritagerider
We ended up going with Lumber Liquidator's vinyl planking because we liked the 'Stone' look instead of the Allure.
So far so good, we were able to finish the demolition and about 1/2 of the bedroom in 1 day.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
03heritagerider

Jimnina,

Sounds good. We were looking at the Alure version of either the stone or slate styles for the dining/living area since we have ceramic tile around the sink. What was the cost of the Lumber Liquidators stuff compared to the Alure? And is the application/installation the same? Attach photos...before and after if you have them.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
JIMNINA

Yo
03heritagerider
Sorry for not responding Must have overlooked your reply. The cost of the flooring was about $600.00 for the flooring and about $65.00 for the molding we put in.
I have some before and after pictures I am trying to move from my phone to the computer. I'm not sure if there is any way to upload the before and after pictures here, but I would be glad to send them to you.The actual demolition of the old carpet and the installation of the floor was only about 2 full days. We then spent a few hours here and there finishing up loose ends. It looks really, really good compared to the carpet. One thing I did see on other threads were questions about the slide transition. We did not remove the carpet from under the slide transition bar and that seems to resolve any problem with the new flooring getting ripped up by the slide movement.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #7
Frnzkchar

Send a message via AIM to Frnzkchar Send a message via Skype™ to Frnzkchar

We purchased a 1 owner, 01 Gulf ultra class a last end of summer. The previous owners replaced carpet w 12x12 tiles. There ok, yep but looking at the weight and a cold floor..... Next summer we are replacing with a home spun twist.... brown bag hodge pode floor w throw rugs 4 warmth.... cost less than 75.00, weight -100 lbs, fuel milage increase with weight aprox. 1/2 gallon per mile per simple physics.... The weight of paper floor approx. 23 lbs vs 100+.
Frnzkchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:42 AM   #8
Daniel-J

You can do it boldly, I don't see any problem.
Daniel-J is offline   Reply With Quote