Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Elwood

Question Onboard Generator will not start. Period

I tried starting my generator for its monthly run and this is what happened. I primed as usual. switch light came on, held prime for a long count of 30, attempted to start generator, usually does not start first time. Next held prime down for about 10 seconds, light still on, tried to start, did not start. Next just tried to start without prime first. This time it almost caught but did not start. Now I have nothing, no light nothing. almost like a blown fuse but I can not locate a fuse with the limited info that came with the rv. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
bbaluski

Which generator do you have. I found the service manual for my generator on line. We have the Guardian 40 g https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/medi...4.0-Manual.pdf

Onan Generator Manual https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...QG5500_Man.pdf
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Elwood

I have the OG 4000 model.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
bbaluski

Here is a basic manual https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...r-Handbook.pdf

This one is for the micro quiet QR 4000
http://www.joshwakefield.com/xplorer...quiet-4000.pdf
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Sudsy

How much gas is in the tank?

Sudsy
Old 09-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Elwood

Full tank, and I checked the oil and it is over the full mark on the dipstick,
the start switch in the coach and the one on the front of the generator neither seem to have power, I get no light when trying to prime and I hear no noise from the fuel pump.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
Sudsy

I have a large circuit breaker o my coach just for the generator. What kind of camper do you have. On my '05 it's located in the forward passenger side compartment. There are several in my coach but i accidentally tripped mine with the gen running and the genset shut down righ away.

Sudsy
Old 09-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Elwood

I have a 2018 B touring cruiser, class b, I have been unable to locate a breaker for the control panel but will look in the cab shortly, I guess they can hide these things anywhere with no rime or reason.
Thanks
I will let everyone know what I find.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
Elwood

Thank you, both of these manuals are more thorough than what came with the unit.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #10
Elwood

Well, no luck finding a fuse or breaker so I called the dealership, the service manager said this unit does not have an inline fuse or breaker. He thinks it sounds like the control board has done something so I will be taking it in for a check. If it is with the coach they can fix it but if it is the generator itself I will have to find a generator repair facility.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
Gulf Santa

I just went through a similar problem. I would hit the generator switch and I hear it prime and click but not start. I found that it would start while connected to shore power with the breaker off. I unplugged the shore power and flipped the breaker and I was up and running. My panel showed my batteries where fully charged. After getting out my battery load tester I found my 2 year old batteries were bad. With shore power or generator power is on my panel showed full charge. With shore power and generator off the batteries showed a very low charge. Turns out while on shore or generator power my intel system is sending 13+ volts originally leading me to believe all was well. I replaced the coach batteries and now my generator starts right up. I have a BT Cruiser with a Generac Generator.
Gulf Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
Elwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
I tried starting my generator for its monthly run and this is what happened. I primed as usual. switch light came on, held prime for a long count of 30, attempted to start generator, usually does not start first time. Next held prime down for about 10 seconds, light still on, tried to start, did not start. Next just tried to start without prime first. This time it almost caught but did not start. Now I have nothing, no light nothing. almost like a blown fuse but I can not locate a fuse with the limited info that came with the rv. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Update, I just dropped the RV off at a repair facility. Could not find solution to problem, have power to unit. I believe the mother board on the inside cabinet has fried. They are checking an will let me know.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
Tim 6316

You also noted that the Oil was over the fill level. That may also be a problem, especially if you have an Onan. Often they like the oil just below the fill level.
Tim 6316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #14
Elwood

Well, I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and comments. Here is how I finally got the generator to start. After talking with the service manager at my rv dealer, who told me that there was not a breaker for my generator I took it to a onan generator repair facility. It took them about 30 minutes to figure out the problem. I indeed do have a breaker for the gen, it is under the frame of the rv behind a door mounted to the frame. They removed the door and reset the breaker and the generator works fine. They also tuned it up and adjusted the choke so it starts first time. Thanks
Old 11-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #15
Daniel-J

Conclusion: Before buying always look for information on your generator to avoid similar problems
Daniel-J is offline   Reply With Quote