Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
SGTJAC

Default SHORE POWER and CONTROL PANEL

I'm attaching a photo of the control panel led's lit up on generator power.
My question is simple because I do not want to make a mistake as I haven't any manuals.

When I connect to shore power (As to the current setting lit up in the photo) will I need to change anything? ie: for 120 volt refrigerator etc.

panel.jpg
SGTJAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
Dennis4809

Only thing you may want to change is the incoming power if on something less than 50 amp. When using my small Honda generator, I drop it down to 10 amps so not to trip the breaker on the generator.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
UAHaerospace

I believe the option to use the 'limits' of incoming Shore Power is to keep the Battery Charger from using too many amps when on 'less than' the full 'normal' 50amp 240v power supply. The Battery Charger is designed to use the full amount of amps it needs in order to charge the House Batteries... this is usually just fine on 'full power', but it you are using a generator or are plugged into 30amp or 20amp or 15amp shore power, the Battery Charger will continue to pull these same amps, potentially tripping the gen or shore breaker, because it doesn't 'know' you are on less than 50amp power unless you tell it...which is really what these 'limits' are used for.

When you choose 30amp, for example, the Battery Charger is then 'limited' to much less amps in order to leave more amps for your other usage, though it will take longer to charge the House batteries if you choose this limit, of course.

When you choose 20amp or 15amp, this is the same, and usually because that is the exact size breaker for the shore power you are plugged into, generally more like a normal 'household' outlet.

The 5amp limit is simply there to give you even another option - to almost turn the Battery Charger into only a 'trickle charger', usually if you really want much more of the amps for your own usage. Sometimes using the higher number will still trip the shore breaker, so the 5amp limit gives you even more control.

Of course, you probably even have the option of turning off the Battery Charger, all together, if needed.

...also, some coaches come with an EMS, or Electrical Management System, which is a automated 'shed' of higher draw devices when you are on 'less than' the full 50amp 240v RV Shore Power, or even on your onboard generator, which is also typically less. I don't believe that this is what your panel is used for, though, as your panel is an Inverter panel, which typically means you are changes settings for that device only, called 'Power Share'.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
SGTJAC

Thanks for both responses. I believe I'm beginning to understand how things work. I do have a breaker marked EMS however. This will be our first time out finally this weekend and hoping I have inherited some knowledge. Electric for me will be a long learning curve but I must. Thanks again..
Old 11-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

All is good on shoreline, switches automatically, and BATTERIES ARE BEING CHARGED (e.g. the "14.0v); WHEN/ if you are not using SHORELINE ("boondocking"), 120vac power is made by XANTREX INVERTER, using BATTERY power, so you would need to monitor batteries and (best practice) charge when it drops to middle. Hope this helps. P.s. (TIP) Most MANUALS can be downloaded, (Google search by Brand/ Model#) saved to a one folder w/ sub-folders by brand name and copied to a flashdrive to carry w/ RV Luck to you.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #6
SGTJAC

Default Many Thanks!

Let me say to the members, Thanks for your detailed answers. Without them I could have done some real damage. I'm now able to use power from the house to keep things in working order this winter. I did shed all the major amp breakers while on a 20 amp from the house. (ie: Microwave, A/C etc.) Your input was just what I needed for me to see the picture clearly. Thanks!