Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
StevePrater

Default 2008 BTCruiser Inverter question.

I have a question that has been puzzling me for over a year now.

Due to poor plumbing work on my part, I sprung a leak in my Class C 2008 Gulfstream BTouring Cruiser. The leak reached and killed my converter.

Not knowing where the converter was located caused me do do a long hard search throughout the coach. In the course of the search, I found an inverter mounted under the closet in the bedroom, near where the Onan 4000 onboard generator is mounted. One call to Gulfstream later they told me the converter was mounted on the floor under the kitchen cabinets, which had to be disassembled to gain access.

Long story short, the converter was replaced and all is good in that respect.

My question is, why does my coach have a INVERTER? I know what a inverter is, and what it does, I just can't figure out why I have one. NOTHING 120 works unless plugged in to shore power, or the generator is running. Hot water heater is 12v/gas, Dometic fridge is Propane/120 autoswitching, Lights are all 12v, 2 televisions, and none work without being plugged in to shore power or generator running, same for the microwave/convection oven.

So why does my unit have a inverter? Maybe it's defective and I should have 120 "somewhere" from my batteries?
StevePrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
UAHaerospace

is it ON??

is it wired into the main panel, or sub panel, or is something plugged into it?

it's there for a reason - the factory would not add one if it wasn't intentionally needed, as most RVs with converters don't have a 'whole house' inverter, but one that is dedicated to one appliance, such as a RESIDENTIAL FRIDGE.
Are you sure the RV fridge you have was the original? or maybe the factory provided for the RV fridge to have 120v power while traveling or boondocking from the batteries, instead of Propane.

Could also be for the TV outlet(s), or for a cPap machine, usually from the bedroom outlet(s).
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote