Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
SJR

Default Convert Dometic AC to wall thermostat

I would like to convert my Dometic roof Ac unit to a wall thermostat. Is that hard to do and what would I need? I have a Track and Trail 17.
SJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
jamesham

Default More info needed to answer

Do you have a wall thermostat now for the furnace? If so, pull it and find out if the cable connecting it has 5 wires or just 2. The biggest hassle would be getting a multiconductor wire from the roof air down to the wall thermostat location. Roof unit usually has an internal thermostat with capillary tube stuck in between the evaporator fins to monitor the temp and prevent freezing or ice forming. Rewiring the rotary temp switch for remote operation would be difficult but not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJR View Post
I would like to convert my Dometic roof Ac unit to a wall thermostat. Is that hard to do and what would I need? I have a Track and Trail 17.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
SJR

I have not had a chance to look at the unit yet. I know I have a wall thermostat for the furnace. I will check the wiring this weekend. I do have a 12 volt light mounted just in front of the roof air that I could get 12 volts from. I could run wire mold to a wall mounted thermostat. I know Dometic makes a conversion kit. Will this make the unit run like the home AC and only run the fan and unit when needed?
SJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
jamesham

Default Lots of options available

Usually on most RVs, you can peel back the interior paneling enough to snake some wires behind. However, wire mold will also work. The plastic is a lot easier to work with than the metal type.

The question about conversion and how it will work is very dependent on what model you have, and how the unit is set up to switch the compressor on and off. If it is a rotary pressure switch with a capillary tube, it will be difficult.

Our wall thermostat turns the furnace on/off and the air conditioner. So yes it is exactly like a regular house. We can leave for the day and the AC will cycle on and off as needed. Rarely we run the AC during the day, and have to change the slide switch over to heat for overnight.

[QUOTE=SJR;29281]I have not had a chance to look at the unit yet. I know I have a wall thermostat for the furnace. I will check the wiring this weekend. I do have a 12 volt light mounted just in front of the roof air that I could get 12 volts from. I could run wire mold to a wall mounted thermostat.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote