Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Cap1c40

Default trailer brake controller

I have a 2004 Sun Voyager 8379 (Gas). I need to connect a brake controller so I can haul a trailer. I have been looking under the dash but can not find a connector like I find on all of my pick up trucks. If anyone has an idea where the connector is or what they did to connect a controller it would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Cap1c40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Frutza

Mine was under the panel on the left wall under the drivers window, but mine is a freightliner , and it was not easy to find
Old 09-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
Sudsy

Default No Plug Maybe

On my 2005 Sun Voyager 8379 Gas Workhorse coach I had the four pin connector at the hitch. I found a pair of wires under the instrument panel behind the side cover. Blue and Blue with white stripe(?) and I see a pair of wires stowed under the coach on the frame rail. I haven't finished the install my self yet as I haven't installed the brakes on the dolly yet. But I don't think you will find like a standard Chevy or Ford plug.

Sudsy
Old 09-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Cap1c40

Thank you for getting back to me all. I will run new wires for 12VDC +and ground, and trailer brakes. I will add a switch and fuse for the 12VDC line.

1C40
2004 Sun Voyager W22 w/8.1 Vortec.
Cap1c40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Sudsy

The two wires I found stowed behind the drivers kick panel were about 5 ft long. One conductor has 12Vdc on it with the ignition switch. The other is a open/no connection. It is my intent to install a standard 7 pin round connector like on my trailer tow van. Look under the back end on the left side frame rail where the four pin connector runs and you should find the other end of the blue wire pair. The two wire pair are kind of like extension cord wire and are joined together like zip cord wire. Like big speaker wire. It could save you some time.

Sudsy
Old 09-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
gwirth

Your coach may not be pre wired for a controller. I would suggest you use a Prodigy wireless controller and quit worrying about the wiring.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwirth View Post
Your coach may not be pre wired for a controller. I would suggest you use a Prodigy wireless controller and quit worrying about the wiring.

Well you had me all excited!

The Prodigy wireless controller still requires the 7 pin connector of the tow vehicle so I would still have to wire the 7 pin

Sudsy
Old 09-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
gwirth

Yes, but you do not need do all the wiring. The remote on your dash sends a signal to the remote that hooks to the seven pin.
gwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
BT5210

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwirth View Post
Yes, but you do not need do all the wiring. The remote on your dash sends a signal to the remote that hooks to the seven pin.
I have that set up.... works great, now no matter what I tow with ...I just plug it in to a 12v outlet and hit the road...
BT5210 is offline   Reply With Quote