Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
jhan

Default Sirius Radio Antenna

I like to find out from everyone who has Sirius radio. Which antenna did you use, how did you get it inside the cab, how is its performance?

I'm told that the roof is fiberglass so I should be able to just have the antenna inside the cab. But I'm also told that the typical antenna needs a 'ground plane' so I need to put it on a metal plate.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Jim

Default sat raido

I just set a puck type ant on the dash and it works ok
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
rdlamb

jhan:
Do you have 2 antennas on the roof? My TM came with a second antenna that was not connected. The cable and connection was coiled behind the panel in front of the driver's left foot. My dealer tells me it is for satellite radio.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
jhan

Hi rdlamb,
Mine does come with 2 antenna on top. One is for the AM/FM radio, the other is for the CB. The CB antenna has a PL-259. I believe the Sirius uses a SMB connector.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
rdlamb

Humm,,, that would have been to simple.

Sorry,

Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Arthur Hayes

I tried placing the Sirus antenna in every conceivable place along the dash and windows without success. It seemed to work best when I was headed in a northerly direction but we cannot do that for ever. Nothing is worse then loosing reception in the middle of a game.
I ended up drilling a hole through the roof near where the CB antenna is located and chased the wire down into the cabinet above the Drivers left side and continued down through the raceway that the CB antenna follows to the area left of the drivers feet. From there it is easy to snake it to the Sirus receiver. I did remove the panel that the radio is in so that I could plug the lead from the Sirus receiver into the back of the radio.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
jhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hayes
I ended up drilling a hole through the roof near where the CB antenna is located and chased the wire down into the cabinet above the Drivers left side and continued down through the raceway that the CB antenna follows to the area left of the drivers feet.
Hi Arthur,
I'm assuming you used the antenna that came with your radio? Also, what did you use to seal the roof?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
rdlamb

Art:
Nice to hear from you.
Do you now have 3 antennas on the roof?

Jhan, use DACOR, or Clearseal, both found at Camping World or RV stores. You can also use a very high quality silicone (GE Silicone III), then DACOR arount the top edges of the antenna.

Since I have not hooked up the Sirrus, what does the connector look like. My Dealer has been known to be less than correct, before.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
fatboylust

After trying the dash locations and losing reception depending on direction of travel I managed to get the anntena wire between the two diverside window panes. I attached the anntena puck to the top of the rearview mirror with double back tape. No problens since and no holes to drill.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Arthur Hayes

Actually there are 5 antennas on my roof. Cb, FM, King Dome, Bat wing, and the Sirius. I used the same material that the factories use to seal. Self leveling Dacor. Place a small amount on a clean roof and nestle the Sirius antenna in it. Lay a few strips across the lead going to hole you made in the roof. If you look around up there you will see a lot of holes in the roof. I don't understand why some people are afraid to make another one. Do it right and you will not have any problems.

Putting it out through a window has the potential to sever the lead as you close the window, and it does not look very professional.

I hope you do realize that you have to purchase a Sirius receiver to plug the lead into and the receiver plugs into the back of the radio.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
11B

I installed the puck type on the driverside corner of my roof. I took out the screws that hold the trim along the windshield and removed it then driled my hole from top down then fished it in with a hanger (2 man job) and it works great.

I would suggest you make sure you have a reciver to go along with your sattalite raido installed at factory, I didn't and had to purchase one and install it myself (no big deal).

11B
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
jhan

Thanks to all for the suggestion.
My T-36 came with VR180. Not Sirius ready, but it does come with 2 RCA jacks for AUX input. I plan on using the vehicle dock with my Sportster 5 while driving the RV, and then move it to the Sienna with SCVDOC1 when I drive the Sienna; that's if I can ever find someone that will set it up to be towed.
Any suggestion on how to avoid the metal frames on the roof, if there are any?
Can someone tell me how thick the roof is and if it's solid or hollow? I would like to install a VHF/UHF antenna for my ham radio while I'm at it. Thanks again.
By the way, here is a picture of the connector for the Sirius antenna (SMB Female). It's small, about 1/4" in diameter, maybe less.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
RayChez1

I don't have the Siruis radio, but I do have the XM and what I done I glued the base plate on the top of the roof, right next to the radio antenna. I then removed the radio antenna on the drivers side and weaved the XM antenna wire down the side of the windshield on the inside panel to conceal the wiring. I then brought it up right on the dash where I wanted the radio to be mounted which was close to one of the cigarite lighter sockets. It works great and I can recieve satelite signal anywhere that I have being in this country. It was very easy to install, but I had to put the antenna on the outside because when I tried putting it on the dash I lost reception several times. Being outside it is exposed directly to the satelite with no interverance.
I also have two antennas on my coach. I know one is for the radio, but I really was not sure what the other was for.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
rdlamb

Hi Jhan:
The auxilliary antenna that I have on my roof, (2 of them total) does NOT have the connector you showed. So, it seems my dealer is (per usual) off his rocker. By the way, he also shut up shop and went belly up in Dec, good thing I'm not under his warranty anymore.
So, my second antenna must be for a CB.

This is a great learning experience for me as well as others. Thank you.