Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
livinlogs

Default thinking of buying a new 2010 Tourmaster T40u, need advice

I have a Ultra 6341 Super C bunk model, we have two small kids and they love the bunks. Our GS dealer has been steering us away from the TM and had us drive a Winnie Destination. I really want the larger engine and 32000 gvw of the tm. Almost all other brands bunk models have a 27900 gvw and the less torquey 340 hp ISB. I read a lot of posts here about the TM and still really like the product. I have not had the bad experience with GS as others have. I have a really good dealer here. I read somewhere here that they aren't making TM's right now, is that true? I see on the website that they are putting the 425hp/1200lb/ft cummins in them, is that true? I'm sure some of you have been to the plant and might know. Our dealer just pushes GS in the C class and Winnie in the A. Input would be appreciated. Oh, by the way, we love the 6341 when in camp, but it is just to noisy and rough on the road.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
coolchas11

I can't speak for the 2010 TM, but we love our 2007 T40C. Ours has the Mercedes engine and its oerformance has been excellent. Charlie
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
galena

Several weeks ago I posted an item on this forum about the TM and was surprised with the answers. It appears GS is only making the new TM for pre-sell. I e-mailed GS and wanted to know which dealer had a T40U, bunk model, and finally received the answer that someone in Canada had one. As far as dealers, the only dealer that I could find that had 2-2009 units were MHRVS in Texas. I can't figure out GS. The TM appears to be a great unit, a very competitive price, but their relation ship with the dealers seems to have gone to hell. I also have a GS Class C and have been pleased with GS and quality. Does anyone else have different info?
galena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
David Bott

Hi livinlogs:

Welcome to the site first of all.

We love our 2008 TM T-40B now that we have the bugs out of it and we have more or less made it our own. Am I looking for another coach? Some day, but GS messed up the 45' tag they have with the poor floor plan.

As far as not making the TM...they will, to order, so I was told. They are currently not running the line for class A's as the market so dried up. I can not blame them for not rolling out an entire new production run right now. As a cash flow company, this is one of the things that saved them during these past, and present, hard times.

My wife and I are working on what we call the Tour Master Special Edition and are going to propose it to GS. The TM is a fine coach when you consider the cost of the unit compared to others that are in the same class, but not really. (Higher price but you get much less.)

Where GS is messing up IMHO is that they are not looking to grab the market RIGHT NOW! They could with the TM line and interacting more with the community. Like this would have been a perfect thread for them to come in and offer a direct answer. People have NO CLUE who even makes the TM. We are ALWAYS asked about out coach. People always look at it and the #1 question...Who makes that? (along with, I have never really seen one.) Once we bring them inside, we more or would have sold them on the coach.

I like GS, I like the people, I do not like that no once know who they are. (Yes, we had ISSUES! Yes, we are happy. But I, not my wife, wants bigger. LOL)

BTW...Remember that usually a dealer would rather sell you what they have on the lot vs ordering new for you.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
coolchas11

This morning I spoke with Bonnie Cooper at GS. No photo contest this year, but we did chat about the company. In regards to locating a Tour Master she recommended calling the GS sales person, Dave Middleton (800)289-8787 x3294. GS is holding its own thanks primarily to the towable division. Motor homes not in demand at this time. It's an advantage that everything (buildings, land, etc.) is owned by the Sheas so costs are more containable. The company is working with a California operation to manufacture shuttle busses. One other business venture is a gas/electric truck for Ford. But, as Bonnie noted, rvs are still the heart of GS and they want that to continue into the future. Charlie
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
univmd

I read about Gulfstream making electic pickup trucks too. My question is what I will see if I visit the Gulfstream factory today. Will I at least get to see towables coming down the line? Or are they just a service center for now?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
RJ82much

Actually UNIVMD, GS is not a service center. I visited the he factory in mid June, took the tour, and shook hands with Scott Pullin. The company is surviving, but very slow. They don't have the staff to perform much service, and they only build coaches to order. I'm not sure if the same is true for towables. I think they are building Class A & C off the same line.

I didn't see much movement in their Fairmont lots either.

The people are still great. Let me assure you that the company has every intention of surviving & are taking many steps to do so.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
galena

I keep hearing about GS's support and where there is smoke there is usually some flame. But, I have a question about how much the dealer is suppose to do as far as warranty work. When I purchased my SuperNova, my dealer went to great length to document ALL warranty items to bill GS. In my opinion most items represented a trivial amount of work. Does GS think the dealers should be doing more from their profit. For the money I really like the Tour Master if I would trade, but hate to get in a contest with GS for some major item if GS is non supportive.
galena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
11B

I bought my G8 2007 from my local dealer and have had nothing but good service from them be it warranty or other. It seems to me that people rely way to much on so called factory warranty. Almost all component parts are warranted by the manufacture and can be replaced or repaired by any authorized dealer accross the country.

I have never understood why MH owners feel they have the right to deal direct (be it parts or service) with the factory on "most" items. I have two Jeeps and I never call Chrysler to have any work done I go straight to the dealer. I would contend that the most important part in a MH purchase is the dealers not the manufacturer.

At one point I had to have a repair done by a non-GS dealer and GS had no problem in paying that dealer on pre-approval for the repair work due to the fact they had no authorized dealer in the area. Now I call that service.

I have had my G-8 for almost three years now and could not be any happier with the product, service and the price I paid for it.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
livinlogs

Default more news

I did hear back from GS thru the dealr, I can get the larger engine on the shorter wheelbase of the 40U for aboutg 12k, seems lke a lot for just and engine upgrade. I was hoping they would modify the 40F model with bunks. They could deilvider in 90 days according to the dealer. Still trying to find out if a few options are sitll available, Ill let you all now hwo this turns out.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
livinlogs

so even better news, I will get the t40u floor plan on the extended wheelbase of the t40f. Sweet, and very accomodating.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
David Bott

That is good news. I wonder at what cost.

Also, I was not aware that that had more than one wheel base on the Tour Master. 42' coach for each model that I had seen using the same Freightliner frame. Was the T40U shorter?

But in any case....Great!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
livinlogs

Yes the t40U has the 360hp engine on a shorter wheelbase, about 18" or so. The other plans are on the same chassis. The t40u has the full wall slide like the t40f> so the 12k upgrade is for the engine and longer coach. They are going to switch the wardrobe for the bunks and a few other changes to the floor plan.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #14
davidahn

Default Tourmaster

I've been impressed with Tourmasters, at least in photos. They do seem to offer a lot of great features and esthetics for the money, and have a great upscale image outside and in.

But as I started looking at tag axle 45 footers, I accidentally stumbled onto the Constellation. I was floored! I've heard people complain about its esthetics and floorplan, but to me it's at the top of my list for both. I LOVE the rear bath plus half bath, the Murphy bed converting the master bedroom into a home theater for additional living space. I love it so much that when I was steered away from the Constellation toward Newmar, I wanted Newmar to install a murphy bed.

But I don't want to pay a LOT more for an older Essex, then have to pay to modify it. And now that I'm hearing from happy Tourmaster owners, I'm back to considering my top choice: the Constellation! (Diff'rent strokes, eh?)

David

Rig: Don't own anything yet, but seriously considering 09 Tourmaster Constellation vs. 07 Newmar Essex, Tiffin Zephyr, or Travel Supreme Select... leaning toward TM Constellation.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
11B

David, I let you a Private Message over at RV.Net. may help you in your choice Of TM or TM Constallation.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
davidahn

Default Thanks, 11B

Thanks, 11B. It was indeed helpful. I responded to your PM on RV.net.

David

Rig: Don't own anything yet, but seriously considering 09 Tourmaster Constellation vs. 07 Newmar Essex, Tiffin Zephyr, or Travel Supreme Select... leaning toward TM Constellation.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote