Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
ptanner

Default 2000 GS Tourmaster 43' w/Cummins M11

Good Afternoon, I am currently looking at a 2000 GS as mentioned in the subject line above. I have been looking at this unit for over a year as it sits on a lot here in the Orlando Area. It has very low miles (1700) and seems to be in good shape at least cosmetically This would be my first Class A, we have had tents, popups, TT and Class Cs in the past, so I am looking for some informed (non salesman) guidence. Especially it the area of performance, costs, dependability and things to look for in a unit like this. Paging
through the site it seems the GS owners have had multiple quality issues with the factory, to say the least. While this unit is reasonably priced, it is not cheap, and I don't want to make a costly mistake on what I want to be the last moterhome I purchase. .
Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
mfa

Here is a good checklist when buying a used motorhome.

I would be concerned about the low miles. Some things can go bad from too little usage as well as too much usage. Generators are one item that can suffer from too little usage.

If the tires are original, then they need immediate replacement regardless of how they look. A rule-of-thumb on RV tires is to replace them at 7 years of age.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
coolchas11

Is the TM on a dealer's lot or is it a private sale? Personally speaking I would hesitate spending a considerable amount of money on a complex vehicle without the leverage or service provided by a dealer. We have purchased each of our motorhomes from Long View in CT and they have a large place near Tampa. Maybe they have a comparable unit. We have a 2007 TM and are very satisfied. When there were initial problems GS and the dealer assisted us completely. We don't have a lot of miles on ours (18,000) and I agree the 1,700 seems very low. What's behind it? Then, again, if the price is right and everything tests ok it may be a good deal. I think GS gets a bad rap...their service has dramatically improved according to recent posts. Charlie
Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
RayChez1

WOW! Why only 1700 miles on it. That would be my main concern, and you mentioned it is a 2000 model? Something does not add up here. 1700 miles is like a brand new coach and just setting around for nine years?
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
WOW! Why only 1700 miles on it. That would be my main concern, and you mentioned it is a 2000 model? Something does not add up here. 1700 miles is like a brand new coach and just setting around for nine years?
That's true. The delivery from Indianna to Orlando would account for about 1,200 miles of that. [Or delivery somewhere else plus the trip to Orlando.] Perhaps the odometer is broken...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

That 1700 sounds like someone is looking at the trip odometer?????

If it is like mine, you must toggle the switch on the dash to see the odometer to view the actual mileage on the coach or the trip odometer.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
rdlamb

Checklist by MFA looks good.
Also, making sure that the milage you are looking at represent actual miles instead of a trip-odometer is mandatory.

Assuming the miles are correct, and the person who took possession of the coach traded it, or is selling it, I would demand to see the service records of the coach. I do not know if GS will disclosed what warranty repairs were done, but if you call them with the "last 6" numbers of the coaches VIN, someone should be able to look up the coaches history.

Sometimes things do not work out, and I have seen very nice coaches with very low miles on them. You would do well to call your Bank, or financial institution, and get a high and low blue book on the coach. That gives you a starting point for negotiations.

Finally, if the coach has sat for the length of time you describe, and you choose to buy the coach, make a complete service of the coach part of the deal. Change all fluids and filters.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
ptanner

my mistake...17K miles not 1700....still been sitting for a long time....it is at a dealer and has been on their lot for over a year...started above $200k down almost 50% of the original price. tires are dated 209 wihich I believe is 20th week of 1999 whick would make sense. Of course it is being offered "AS IS" my concern is the condition of the seals and other mechanical "joints". Workmanship of unit seems to be good, which has been a concern considering some of the posts on this site.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
RayChez1

Yea 17000 miles sounds better, but even that is no miles. It is not even broken in. If it has slides you should be able to tell if the seals are good or not, just check to see if there are any wet marks on the carpet. It rains alot in Florida, so you should be able to tell if it has any leaks by the stain marks that are usually left. Take it out for a test drive and see how it handles. The TourMaster at that time was the top coach for Gulfstream. Give it a good twenty mile run and see how it runs. Check the oil and the dip stick to see if it shows any rust. If it shows rust, it could be that water has been getting into the oil from a blown head gasket. It it is just oil then it is good. Check under the coach for oil leaks, transmission and between the tranny and the engine . If you have oil between the engine and transmission it means you have a leak on the rear main seal of the engine. Things like that happen sometimes when an engines seats for long periods at a time. But then again maybe you might have found a nice clean coach for a very reasonable price.
Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote