Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul
Default New deisel maintanence

Our coach was built Nov of 04. It is a 2005 model that we bought as a leftover on 14 Jan 06. It is a Cat C 7 300HP with the allisone 6spd.

I am taking it in for some warrenty items to be fixed and to have the Generator serviced because it has 62 hours on it. The coach has 4500miles on the engine.

I am thinking about getting the engine oil changed. I am not sure if I should or not. The initial oil change is to me done at 15,000 miles or six months. Now I understand it says six months but no way am I going to do it more than once a year unless I hit 15,000miles a year which is unlikely. I am concidering doing the oil change in spring before I start the new camping season up.

What are your thoughts? Would you do the oil change now or wait? Do you thing once a year is enough or should I go with the manuel and do it every 6 months? What happens to the oil in the crankcase if it sits for a few years with out being changed if there are not enough miles put on the engine to warrent a change?

Part of me says that changing it every 6 months is just the manufacture trying to drum up business. I don't understand how or why it would be necessary.

I appreciate all your responses. Thank you.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

On the CAT C7 the first oil/filter change should be done at 5 to 6,000 miles and then every 11,000 miles or 1 year according to CAT and Freightliner.

Here is a link to the Freightliner "Know Your Chassis" that you can download. It is an Adobe reader file. It has a lot of maintenance information about the Freightliner XC Chassis maintenance recommendations.

http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/mhMa ... ge=chassis

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote