Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
Rhodesia

Default Heating for 37 foot Gulf Stream Sun Voyager

What the best electric heater to use in your motor home that does not create your electrical outlet to get hot. I don't use the one I have that much but I'm looking at trying not to use the LP tank for the furnace. Has anyone used those's radiator type looking heaters that you see at wal mart? Thanks
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Sudsy

Default Oil Filled

We have an oil filled radiator type heater that we run in the kitchen/living room area.I also run the propane if ity's below zero for more than just a night. That is the only way to heat the tanks and water lines for shower and kitchen.

Sudsy
Old 12-31-2018, 06:07 AM   #3
Restorium

We run one of those electric radiators too. You just have to make sure you don't plug it into a circuit that you have another heating appliance plugged into. If you run the toaster on the same circuit as the heater you could blow a breaker.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
CoachStreamr

We are doing the same as @Sudsy and @Restorium

It's a DeLonghi Safeheat 1200 watt model (common for Coach use) on the floor at the Living Rm/Kitchen border and on Low unless temps get below 35F.

Also have a Honeywell HT-800 fan on the floor about 5 feet away from the heater and angled up slightly running on low. The fan is in the front of the Coach pushing air towards the back.

Our Coach's floor plan has a clear path in the center from front to back, no L-Shape kitchen cabinet.

If temps go near or a few under freezing, I'll put the DeLonghi on High or Medium and bump up the thermostat on that heater. We have a ceramic heater with thermostat in the main bay and a 60 watt bulb with temp controlled outlet (to engage at 35F) in the Wet bay for backup. Two separate 20 amp circuits from the house, one for the Coach's main connection and one going to the basement/wet bay heat.

If temps go under the mid-upper 20F, I turn on the Coach's furnace.

We also keep both roof vents cracked open, all window blinds up a few inches and the front privacy curtains open.

I have a temperature and humidity monitoring system that is connected via WiFi. I can monitor the temps on my phone (4 locations - living, bedroom, basement, wet bay) and I get alerts.

Our Coach is parked in our yard and we have not been winterizing it.

We are in Western Washing, South Puget Sound.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Morrigan 508

Default Me too

As the rest of the folks above, I use an electric oil filled radiator as my "winterization set up" along with a dehumidifier (I live in western Washington, high humidity and the resultant mold, rot, etc is a thing). I generally leave the radiator set at low, and the dehumidifier set for 30%, then let both run all winter except when we're actually using the rig (yes we take it out all year round)
Morrigan 508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
CoachStreamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan 508 View Post
and the dehumidifier set for 30%
Morrigan, which Dehumidifier model do you use?

Do you keep your roof vent(s) open?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
Morrigan 508

No, I keep the roof vents closed, and we use an LG brand, placed on the counter of our GS Conquest 34 footer, with a hose ran to the sink. I don't fill up the gray water tank with this, so it saves me having to go up and dump the tank every three days.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
CoachStreamr

yes, that is why I was curious on what specific model you had.

I want to add one that will sit on the counter. The Frigidaire's are rated high, great reviews but I still think even the 30 Pint model is too hall for counter use (and it has casters that may no be able to be removed.

I can keep the level just under 50-60% with the setup, sometimes the bedroom will go over 60% so adding one that sits on the kitchen counter near the sink would be good.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
Morrigan 508

I don't feel like running up to the back forty right now, but it's the LG rated for 1500 Cubic feet or so, stands about 3.5 foot high, has casters (as a result you have to take it down and stow it, when driving) With all the doors open and the kitchen being in the middle of the coach, it keeps the whole place dry enough to keep mold from forming.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
RayChez1

We have been using our two heat pumps that come with our coach. They are AC/heat pump. Instead of buying a oil burner and taking a chance of getting killed, invest on an AC/heatpump unit. They are great!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #11
Morrigan 508

sigh, read the description better. The devices we are discussing are electrically powered, oil filled radiators. They cost about $75 and don't use propane, which puts them head and shoulders over the gas hog Furnaces that were installed on most Gulf streams.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #12
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan 508 View Post
sigh, read the description better. The devices we are discussing are electrically powered, oil filled radiators. They cost about $75 and don't use propane, which puts them head and shoulders over the gas hog Furnaces that were installed on most Gulf streams.
My Scenic Cruiser has two AC/heat pumps front and rear which we use all the time. But if it gets down into zero degree weather that is where the furnace will cut in automatically and shuts down the heat pumps. So you hardly ever use the furnace and when it does cut in because of extreme weather conditions it really does not use that much propane.

I had bought one of those oil filled radiator heaters, fact I still have it in the garage. It took too much room on my first motor home that did not have heat pumps. I never did like it because it took a while before the oil would warm up and start putting out heat.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #13
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
We have been using our two heat pumps that come with our coach. They are AC/heat pump. Instead of buying a oil burner and taking a chance of getting killed, invest on an AC/heatpump unit. They are great!
You are a gas Ray. I've had these oil radiator type heaters since the 70's and they are actually safer than your heat pumps. But hey, to each their own. No need to try to scare people though. Enjoy your heaters.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #14
Sudsy

Quote:

The oil filled radiators refered to in this thread are NOT Oil Burners. Justice in case there was any confusion. To change out two rooftop units is just cost prohibitive.

Sudsy
Old 01-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #15
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
The oil filled radiators refered to in this thread are NOT Oil Burners. Justice in case there was any confusion. To change out two rooftop units is just cost prohibitive.

Sudsy
Right. And you wouldn't have a place to sit your coffee cup and keep it warm.
Turn it on when you get up and in the time it takes to make a pot of coffee the heater is just right to sit your mug on it to keep it warm. Priceless.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #16
Lesyo64

Along with an electric blanket, I have used digital ceramic heaters. Set them and let them keep everything in my 40' tour master warm during the night. Not only are they quieter, because I don't pay for electricity, they are economical for me. I would caution anyone paying "park" electricity rates. It could be very expensive.

One thing I have noticed, some heaters (and blankets) don't work on the inverter. In fact, some heaters are damaged when run on the inverter.
So, unless you have a true sine wave inverter, test it out while under warranty. I feel it is the heater manufacterer's fault if their product is damaged by "rv power".
Hope this helps.
Lesyo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #17
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
You are a gas Ray. I've had these oil radiator type heaters since the 70's and they are actually safer than your heat pumps. But hey, to each their own. No need to try to scare people though. Enjoy your heaters.

I was not referring to the radiator type heater. What I meant was to not use a open flame type kerosene heat because they cut the oxygen off if not properly ventilated with a stove pipe.

The radiator type and I have one that I bought and I thought it was too big for my previous gasoline motor home. It ended up in my garage just taking up room. Those are pretty safe, but I was not impressed at all with it. Takes too long for the oil to heat up and start radiating heat. But if you like it, that is just fine with me. Every mind is a world of its own.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 01-10-2019, 05:37 AM   #18
Restorium

Quote:
I was not referring to the radiator type heater. What I meant was to not use a open flame type kerosene heat because they cut the oxygen off if not properly ventilated with a stove pipe.

The radiator type and I have one that I bought and I thought it was too big for my previous gasoline motor home. It ended up in my garage just taking up room. Those are pretty safe, but I was not impressed at all with it. Takes too long for the oil to heat up and start radiating heat. But if you like it, that is just fine with me. Every mind is a world of its own.
Since the thread is about electric heaters and you posted after we were talking about oil filled electric heaters, no one said anything about kerosene, I find your excuse falling flat.

The radiators heat up about as fast as it takes to make a pot of coffee.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:00 AM   #19
Restorium

Quote:

So these heat pumps blow heat from the ceiling like an air conditioner?

Seems like that wouldn't work that great because heat rises.

How much did your heat pump conversion cost?

Did you do it yourself or did you have to pay someone to do it?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #20
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Since the thread is about electric heaters and you posted after we were talking about oil filled electric heaters, no one said anything about kerosene, I find your excuse falling flat.

The radiators heat up about as fast as it takes to make a pot of coffee.

I bought the Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser brand new in April of 2003 and the AC/heat pumps were already as standard equipment on Gulf Streams flagship coach at the time. I guess you could say the whole thing cost me $225,000.00. Believe me they work great. I use the one in the bedroom to throw the air through ducts and the one in the front, I choose that unit to throw heat straight down. But you can install one or two of these units on your coach for around $1400.00 each. We hardly ever have to use the furnace unless it gets below 20 degrees.

Like I posted before, I bought one of those oil electric radiator heaters for our gasoline motor home we had before, and we did not like it at all. It took too much space and was not a good heater for the RV. But to each his own, if that is what you like? That is just fine with me. I am just showing that there are other options that will improve your coach with good air conditioning and heating units that would last you for years ahead.
Aventa II Blue Ox