Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
treecounter

Send a message via AIM to treecounter
Default Met a Peterbuilt on the way home.

We were parked at a truck stop in Colorado having lunch. When we came out a Peterbuilt tractor was planted in the front of our "Friendship". Seems that the driver had failed to set his park brake after unhooking his trailer. We were able to get home by putting the bra on to keep water out of the front end. Took the lower half of the front cap off. Leaving one head light working. Coach masters looked at it today and will have an estimate shortly. No one was in either rig, so no blood. Thats a good thing. But our pride and joy is a mess.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

That is not a good way to meet, that's for sure!!

Sorry to hear about that and I am sure that made you sick, I know it would have me.

Hopefully it can be repaired in short order back to the way it was and you can be enjoying it once again.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
RJ82much

So sorry to hear... At least you have bragging rights to the claim that you messed with a Peterbuilt, & didn't loose too bad.

Hope the repairs go fast & proper.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
treecounter

Thanks, guys. WE plan on using it the end of this month. Fixed or not.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
treecounter

The shop that is working on our coach is having trouble getting parts. They ordered the cap over a month ago and Gulfstream hasn't sent it yet. Gulfstream wont even return their calls. Looks like we are in for a long wait. Thanks to Gulfstream's unwillingness to take care of their customers.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
earljan34

Some things never change!!!!

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
lockdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecounter
The shop that is working on our coach is having trouble getting parts. They ordered the cap over a month ago and Gulfstream hasn't sent it yet. Gulfstream wont even return their calls. Looks like we are in for a long wait. Thanks to Gulfstream's unwillingness to take care of their customers.
I was supposed to install some locks today for a good customer.....and I forgot to order the product in time to get it here today.....guess what I told the customer? The manufacturer/distributor hasn't sent it yet!! Sometimes the thing we hear may not be the thing it is. I would suggest a follow up call to Gulfstream yourself to verify the repair centers story and give GS a chance.
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
GStream40
Site Team

locdoc is correct about his statement. When the dealer had our MH in the shop for almost 4 weeks to replace the left front fender that had cracked, they blamed it on Gulf Stream not senting the fender. I contacted Gulf Stream and the dealer had just ordered it the day before, not three weeks earlier as they told me.

Gulf Stream sent it FedEx overnight and it was at the dealers the next day when I contacted them. I would also contact Gulf Stream parts dept. to see if it was ordered and when.

Ron
Old 06-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
treecounter

Will check Monday morning. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

treecounter,

Please check your Personal Messages here on the forum. I have sent you two messages in regards to your parts and the contact person at Gulf Stream with the information about them.

Ron
Old 06-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
trickto322

We damaged our coach while fueling up in Feb. and it still is not repaired. They sent the basement doors and they were the wrong ones. Start all over again. What a mess
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #12
RJ82much

Trickto322,

The trick to the basement doors is to have the factory send you the drawing for your basement doors. Then measure the width of each that needs replacing against the dimensions on the drawing. Some of mine were off by an inch or more.

I originally sent the dimension of my 1st failed door thru the dealer. The new door came in more than an inch wrong. The factory took the dimensions again & supplied a correct door.

When another compartment door failed on the other side of the coach, & the factory agreed that all should be replaced, the drawing of all was supplied for me to confirm or markup. If there is any problem making that happen, contact me by the email or by PM so that I can help.

I suspect some of the problem that is occuring is your doors (like mine) were made by a supplier no longer being used by GS. Their new supplier uses an entirely different design (far superior to the old), but they need to make conversions to make a door that fits in your space.

Because of this, GS might be very open to providing the drawing for you to confirm what you need.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #13
treecounter

Thanks, I wish we were looking for a compartment door. We need the front cap. Found out that GS like most manufactures wont sell parts to individuals or repair shops. They have to deal with a GS dealer another layer of personnel to go through. Noticed that the fuse block diagram in our 03 has a 04 part number. WE have our rig back so we can use it until the cap gets here.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #14
RJ82much

Tree Counter,

Your front cap is made by Global Composites in Elkhart, Indiana.

http://www.globalmoldingtech.com/buildings.html

The website is a little mixed up, but their contact page is at
http://www.globalmoldingtech.com/contacts.html including email, phone number (574-522-9956), & owners:
Stephen Beck ( [email protected] ) &
Gary Beck ( [email protected] ).

Depending on who owns the molds & drawings, you may or may not be able to purchase direct. It sure is worth a try though. I sent you a PM with possible part numbers.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 06-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
coolchas11

Trickto322 (Johnnie and Adrian), are you still down south awaiting repairs? You are supposed to be at Hammonasett (?) next month! Charlie
Old 07-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #16
treecounter

Here we are the end of July. Still waiting for parts from Gulfstream. The parts were ordered in May. How long does it take to make a front cap? There is no excuse for it taking this long. Gulfstream is really lacking in customer service. We are very disappointed with them. Make a nice coach then forget the customer. :x
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #17
treecounter

We finely got our coach back. It was finished on the 14th of Aug. We are still waiting for the new left head light that was ordered on May 9th. The shop reinstalled the broken light it lights but the housing is busted and it can't be aimed. We did finely get results by refusing to be sent to "voice mail". Even got Emails from "parts". With copies of internal emails where the stated they sat on the order a month before working on it. So much for "improved customer service"
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 PM   #18
trickto322

[color=blue]Just checked this thread and noticed you got your coach fixed. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! we had 4 doors crushed and the rest of the side scratched up, on the drivers side. The damage took place in feb finally got it fixed In mid-June. How did we do it????? We moved the coach to "BILL PLEMMONS" in North Carolina from Giant RV in Florida. they did a great job. I agree that the dealer has a lot to do with how long a repair takes. BILL PLEMMONS in Winston-Salem ,N.C. is a great place to deal with.[color=blue][/color.

Adrian and Johnnie
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote