Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
02 Sun Voyager

Default Slide out locks??

We are getting ready for our first trip in our recently aquired Sun Voyager with three slides. Our other Bigfoot m-h has no slides so I have a few questions about the two slide locks that came with our Gulfstream. 1st there are two adjustable slide locks so I'm assuming one lock is used for each of the two bigger slide outs. There is also a smaller slide in the bedroom for the wardrobe with only about 1ft travel. Is there normally only one lock used per slide?? If so where is the best location, top, bottom or middle??

We purchased this from the widow of the orig. owner & she really didn't know many details except that they hardly ever used it. What kind of mpg's are others getting when not pulling a tow vehicle?? We normally pull our Jeep Wrangler behind our 27ft Bigfood & get about 8 mpg. We are not going to pull the Jeep on our 1st trip.

Thanks!!! Perry
Falcon 2 tow bar & Brake Buddy
02 Sun Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Slide out locks??

My coach never come out with any locks, so I never use any. I have two slides, the one in the living room and kitchen is hydraulic and the one in the bedroom is rack and pinion gear type.

Not sure if you have a gasoline or diesel Sun Voyager, but I used to have a gasoline 36' coach in 2002 Coachmen Aurora that I bought brand new and it had the Ford V-10. It used to get average between 8-9 mpg.

The diesel that I bought new in 2003 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser 38' also gets around 8 mpg and I have towed three different vehicles since then. Ford ranger, Honda Pilot and now Honda CRV.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
02 Sun Voyager

Ray thanks for getting back. Our Bigfoot is a Ford V-10, not pulling anything it gets just over 9mpg. Like I said pulling the 4700 lb Jeep 2dr Wrangler it gets 8mpg. Our Sun Cruiser is a Chevy Workhorse gas. How does your CRV tow?? We also have an 09 CRV & I'm sure it's lighter then the Jeep to tow. Do you put it in "N" with the key left on?? The nice thing about Jeeps after 08 is you can leave the ign. key locked & the steering wheel is not locked and the batt. doesn't discharge. The CRV steering is locked with the ign. off. so you would need a batt. disconnect or run it every so often.
Falcon 2 tow bar & Brake Buddy
02 Sun Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
RayChez1

I like towing the new CRV-EX very much. The previous Honda Pilot 2005 that I towed was a wonderful vehicle but I already had 75K miles on it and I was afraid that it might start needing repairs like the rubber boots on the axles and stuff like that, so we got the smaller CRV-EX this time which is two wheel drive, not four wheel drive like the Pilot. It weighs about a thousand pounds less then the Pilot. I really do not even feel anything in the back of the coach. But then again I never really had any problems with the pilot either. The Caterpillar engine pulls both pretty easy. The fuel mileage is about the same around 8 mpg.

The CRV-EX is basicly the same as the Pilot getting ready for towing. I run it through the gears for three seconds and put it on neutral. I leave the ignition switch on the one spot just so that the steering is unlocked. I turn off all things like the radio, fan for the heater or air conditioner and it is ready to roll. It says on the manual that if you are going to tow for more then eight hours to pull out a fuse, but I have not gone on any real long trips lately. My trips have been around three hundred miles so the battery has held up pretty good. About the only thing that is using the battery is the Brake Buddy when you apply the brakes kind of hard. It will activate the brakes and use the battery, but not enough to discharge it to where it will go dead. The diodes that were installed prevent the battery from discharging.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
LogansPapa

I have a 2003 Sun Voyager. It came with two slide out locks for each slide, you need one at the top on both sides unless you want to pick your slide up off the road when it falls out. If you don't have the proper slide locks I'm sure you can buy more. Better safe then sorry...
LogansPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
johno02

2005 Ultra Supreme Class A gas. Two slides, came with 4 slide locks. There are currently stashed under the bed, where they stay, until next owner wants them. 50K + miles, have not had to stop and pick up slides yet.