Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
bhplumber

Default SN boiling house batteries

Does anyone know the location of what ever charges the house batteries when it's plugged into shore power. I filled my batteries full of water on Sat (the 2 took about 1.5 gallons of distilled water) and by Sunday afternoon they were boiling out the top. One of the batteries is buldged on one side now. Any ideas? Should I just replace the batteries and hope for the best?
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
SlimTim

I don't know for sure but I think I read a post that the converters on the 6331's were located under the cook top. if it's not located there locate the fuse box and look inside whatever cabinet or compartment the fuse box is mounted in. You can also look for a grate mounted to the side of one of your cabinets. The converters generate heat and Gulfstream usually placed a grate on the cabinet so the heat can dissipate out of the space.

If the batteries are not taking a charge because of salfation the converter/charger may never switch to "float" mode. so you could have bad batteries causing this, or the batteries could be good and your charger may be over charging the batteries.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
bhplumber

Finally had time to get the batteries checked out. Turns out one had a bad cell and would not take a charge. I opted to upgrade to 2 - 6 volt interstate golf cart batteries for few extra $$$$'s. I've had them installed for about a week now with the RV plugged into shore power while monitoring them closely for "boiling" and no issues so far. I wont get to test out how they perform until sometime in August, There is just to much going on this month.
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

I read that (some) converter chargers charge on HIGH for 13-hours, then switch to LOWer voltage for trickle charge. If the 120-volt is interrupted, then the 13-hour timers restarts, but those pesky BAD batteries are a perplexing, unexpected, confusing nuisance
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote