Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Andersen

Default 1997 Sun Sport-Water Damage to The Floor

Hello,

I have a 1997 Sun Sport, most recently was unable to open the Bathroom door due to the laminate flooring buckling. I removed the laminated flooring to find soaking wet 1/2" and 3/4" OSB sub-floors. Under the furnace is really bad because it is rotten wood and from the front of the sink area to the refrigerator area is also black with wet and rotten wood.

The problem is I can't find the leak or leaks.
I ran the shower, flushed the toilet several times, turn on the kitchen sink and verified the vent for the refrigerator was working properly.

I think the leak maybe coming from behind the stove area (which is directly above the furnace).

Please.....anybody hear of anything like this or has experienced this problem in their Sun Sport or other class A RV. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You!
Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
hyall

also check the ice-maker line from solenoid to ice maker at times the piping leaks when unit wants to make ice (plastic tubing)
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Andersen

Default Water Damaged Sun Sport

Hello,

Thank you for your insight. Unfortunately, This model doesn't have the ice maker option.

I'm thinking the water lines that run along the drivers side of the RV, between the bedroom and the kitchen sink, is where the leak/s is/are.
Without removing the kitchen cabinet, stove and refrigerator........what would be the way to go about verifying this leak/s.

I leave for a trip on the 14th of this month.........and its not looking good!

Thank you,

Stressed RV owner
Old 08-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
hyall

You can put a pressure test apply a guage to the valve (stop) to the faucet supply see if you lose pressure (Hot and Cold)
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Andersen

Hello hyall,

Great idea but I don't think that is the problem though. The pressure stays at 45lbs of pressure at all times and it never turns on by itself. Only when water is being used. It is right underneath our bed, so if the pump would turn on, we would definitely hear it.

So now I am thinking the water is coming from a drain somewhere or leaking from somewhere else.

When I removed the OSB sub-flooring, there was screw holes, holes the size of a nickel and a cut in the metal sheathing(which is only 20-22ga. thick).
I know this was a big part of the problem where water, ice and salt were constantly being absorbed into the OSB sub-flooring.

Where I have a problem diagnosing this water problem is that the RV was parked for 2-3 months. When I removed the Self Floating Laminated Flooring(in front of the stove and furnace) there was actual water sitting on top of the blue foam padding(moisture barrier). Also, when I removed the OSB sub-floor(both layers) actual water was sitting on top of the metal sheathing.

This is where the problem is. Where can the water becoming from to where water can still be captured after 2-3 months of the RV being parked?

Any diagnosing of this problem now??

Thank You hyall!!

Andy
Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Bluegrass Quilter

Questions?
Did it rain while sitting up during the 2-3 months?
Did you use any water from the tanks during this time ?
It may have come in from the roof down the side wall during a rainstorm,
anything is possible..
This may be the time that you will need to take it in to a shop with a good technician.
Good luck, hang in there,, you will discover the source..

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager, F53 , 'Master Tow' dolly
Bluegrass Quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Andersen

Hello Bluegrass Quilter,

Yes, it did rain alot actually! We've had alot of rain so far this year, which is very unusual this time of year.

No, I didn't use any water from the tanks during this time.

What ever it is, it has been doing this for years because the OSB sub-floor is really bad-wet and rotten.

Any ideas other than water coming from the roof and leaking down the side wall. I'll run a water hose on the roof and see what happens.

Thank You,

Andy
Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Bluegrass Quilter

if it is coming from the side walls you should see some damage on the walls also.. softness of the luan..We had a slight crack in one of our seams and water was coming in from the roof, running down the sidewall above the door and window by the table (mostly the front passenger side) so we have some interior work to do and it is next to impossible to find the same wallboard to match the original..
last but not least,, a new roof is in the near future.. not cheap
good luck

Old 08-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Andersen

Hello Bluegrass Quilter,

I will check out the roof thoroughly with my water hose and find out if that is the problem or not.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Andy
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
chappsdiy

Default floor water damage

hi there,
we have a 1996 sunsport and have recently taken up the flooring to replace it and found that there was some water damage under the fridge. We have traced it to the water line connection under the fridge - it was not tightened up or had worked loose so I would check this.
hope this might help

Cheers lynne
Yorkshire
England
chappsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Andersen

Default Floor water damage

Hello chappsdiy,

Thank you for your advice.

I don't think that there is a water line connected to my fridge because I don't have a Ice-maker. I'm surprised mine doesn't have an ice-maker because it is a 1997 and your 1996 has one?? I'm still searching.....

Would there be any other lines that would cause this problem behind the stove or fridge area??

Thank you,

Andy
Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Bluegrass Quilter

how far is your shower or toilet from the stove or frig area?
It could be a 'leaking' vent from the roof, over the frig or the stove???
have you been able to research it with a tech since you discovered the water leak?
Since you will be leaving on the 14th did you get new flooring down yet? I would suggest waiting for a new floor until after you find your problem.
good luck

Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
Chuck v

Andy,

Have you owned this coach since it was new? If not, is it possible that the refrigerator was replaced at some time and the original one did have an ice maker like the earlier year model Sunsport? If that is the case...maybe the waterline is still behind the fridge and has started to leak. If the ice maker was an option on 'upgraded' refrigerators on these coaches, it could even be that all of the coaches were pre-plumbed -- so don't dismiss the possibility of there being a waterline that was terminated at/near the fridge. Such a line could easily be the source of your troubles.

Hope you find it whatever it is.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
chappsdiy

Default water damage

Hi,
Sorry I probably didn't explain properly - my fridge does not have an icemaker either.

The leak was in the cupboard under the fridge where the water pump is housed. The line from the water pump was leaking due to not being srewed tight enough.

Hope this clarifies things

Cheers
chappsdiy
Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
chappsdiy

Default water damage

Hi,
Sorry I probably didn't explain properly - my fridge does not have an icemaker either.

The leak was in the cupboard under the fridge where the water pump is housed. The line from the water pump was leaking due to not being srewed tight enough.

Hope this clarifies things

Cheers
chappsdiy