Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
crrroger

Default Some advice on a 2008 Supernove 6372 please.

I am considering purchasing a 2008 Supernova with 9500 miles on it. I stumbled on it while looking at other Class C's and must say that after looking at it, everything else I saw pales in comparison.

It seems fairly priced at 98,500.....at least compared to some others I have located on the internet.

I am asking for any suggestions or experiences anyone may have relative to these beautiful motorhomes.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Roger
crrroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
LabCab

Default Re: Some advice on a 2008 Supernove 6372 please.

Roger: We have a Super Nova '08 6362 same rig as the one your looking at, different floor plan. We really like the rig.
The International is a very good Truck. I know of these 4200 Series going 200 to 300k mi's. They do need maintenance. They have had a number of "PITA" problems. Most are easy fix.
I just had the ABS Controler replaced. (read about it here so I knew it was coming) There was a manufacturers advisory on getting the Injectors taken care of as well as service on other International Advisory's that were sent out. See if the original owner took care of them.
If you go through this forum you'll see a number of "problems" that have come up. None so tramatic as to make you want to stay away from purchasing one. I've read many complaints about Gulf Stream.
They aren't that awfull. Like in all RV S--T happens when they are made. Just like buying a car ya may luck out you may not but for the most part everything is fine. Some folks do alright some just like to bitch and are never happy.
I've never had a complaint about the drive. They are cabin noisy. Insulate it.
I've either been really lucky (NOT) or I'm just such a likeable guy (Really NOT) or I just ask the right person the right questions and get what I need. Parts. Manuels etc. If you'd like to chat send me a # back channel.
The price and the mileage look good. I'd recommend a Warranty. Check out Go RV. They cover a lot if you get the correct policy. Watch some of the others out there.
Would I buy another one? YES I WOULD. Good Luck Fred
Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
RJ6040

Hey Roger - We have a 2008 6372 and absolutely love it. Like any other RV, it is not w/o problems but mine have been routine - nothing really any different than I had on my previous rigs. Your doing the right thing by researching the rig and seeing all the customization different owners have done. You may or may not change a thing. I would definitely purchase another Supernova. Good Luck and let us know if you choose the 6372. RJ
RJ6040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
LabCab

Just thought you might be interested in this. We had our rig in to have some programing recomeded by International.
In speaking with the Navstar International Rep about the virtues and glitches of the 4200 Series with the VT365 he made a simple statement about this setup "Drive it like ya stole it. It can take more than you can dish out but you have to run it and run it hard".
Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Georunner

I hav ethe 6331 version and we love it. As with any diesel these days, but especially with vt365, use an additive for injector lubrication. I did put shocks on mine, and a MP8 chip for the engine. Good luck.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
crrroger

Thanks to all for your kind and thoughtful responses.

I am still wrestling with myself over this motorhome....you know...all the usual reservations that crop up when considering a purchase of this size. Especially considering the fact that I currently have a very nice, 31' Triple E Class C.

I am a bit disappointed that the 2008 Supernova has no warranty of any kind. Any warranties it had have apparently timed out at 3 years. Somewhat surprising to me. I had hoped the diesel engine had a 100K warranty like its brother the Ford Powerstroke.

Anyway....I'm still strongly considering this beauty....I can't get it out of my mind.

Thanks again,

Roger
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Texas TC

Hi folks!

When I bought my 2008 SuperNova in 2007, it came with a five year warranty on the engine and transmission. I had one of the first manufactured and it still should be under warranty until May, 2012 and that warranty should be available to the folks who bought my coach a few weeks after I traded it in. I would certainly think that most all 2008 coaches still have at least a year left on the International and Allison warranties.

Good luck on your decision and hello to all my SuperNova buddies.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Georunner

Hey Texas TC, glad to see you are keeping an eye on us. That 2008 should still have warranty left on it. Also, I bought an after market warranty for mine. I honestly thought the price was very reasonable and would strongly recommend one to anyone driving a house down the road.

A couple of things about the Super Nova that I did not mention before. One is it drives like a large pickup. It might be a bit rough, but wind, passing trucks etc have no affect on it. Also, it is about as good for dry camping as an RV can get. Lots of liquid storage, gets into campsites no Class A and few Class C rigs would dream of trying.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
crrroger

I drove a 600 mile round trip yesterday to take a much closer look at the Supernova in question.....and decided against it.

It wasn't really as "nice" as it should have been considering the low mileage. Mechanically all seemed ok but there were lots of cosmetic issues inside and out that led me to believe that it had not been well taken care of. Anyway...I just didn't feel like I was doing the smart thing.......giving up my near perfect 2005 Triple E for a less than perfect Supernova....and paying 50K to do it.

Also..it didn't have any warranty left. This information came direct from Gulfstream who said it was put into service in September 2007 and timed out at three years. The rep at Gulfstream said the 5 year 150K mile warranty that International touts did not apply to this model. Don't burn me guys...I'm just repeating what GS told me.

Another issue for me was the overall size of this model. I don't need it that big as I am not a fulltimer. I would prefer a shorter, less spacious model on the same International chassis. Would also be willing to give up most of the outside storage to achieve a lower, easier to climb into, coach.

Thanks for your help, guys. I could still be persuaded to trade if I can find what I would like.

Any ideas appreciated,

Roger
Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Gemini John

My 5 year warranty timed out at 24 months?????? Dealer I bought it from went belly up. so I'm out in the cold. Really love this beast, and I've done the Ace air ride as per Texas TC. We also added a leaf to the rear , and shocks (what's up on that ). Heavier front shocks, and a real truck shop alignment, drives like a dream. The biggest problem I still have is my fuel gauge don't know the tank size. Says 1/3 tank at 80 gal of 140. Dealer reflased the dash and renewed BOTH fuel senders under warranty, still goofy. TS performance controller for better power(runs great) and I'm 66 ft long with my trailer. I guess it's a labor of love, and a great piece. Let's keep coming up with all our repair fixes and keep this forum strong. Just couldn't drive another motorhome not designed to pull a trailer, so school bus chassis I am. HJ
Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Georunner

My dealer went away about 2 years ago. Makes it hard to find Gulfstream support for sure. We absolutely love ours as well. I have had the TS MP8 in for about a year and it does make a huge difference. Since ours is the 6331, we get by with rear shocks just fine. I also agree, guys, keep posting fixes and issues.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
porchracer1

Gemni John, I also pull a 28' trailer and total lenght is 66'. The S.N. will spoil you when pulling a trailer, the only thing I've discovered is it likes to run. Trying to keep it at 58-62 mph is more of a job than one would think. It really likes 70+ then the milage goes away. But what a pleasure to drive. I see your in P.A. I actualy bought the motor home in Roaring Springs. I share the same concerns with everyone as to where to get service. I have found a reputable shop in Goshen that takes care of monitoring the sealing of the front and rear cap and the roof seals so thats taken care of but as far as mechanical maint not real confident with the choices around here. Great to see guys posting and sharing knowledge. Rob.
porchracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Gemini John

Mine's been sleeping since November. But I can't wait for race (tow) season. With the upgrades I've done and some good maintaince I'm ready to attack the cab quietness issue this year. Got some street rod spray in insulation we've used in my shop that kicks ass, and it's going in (another post) I'll update once in gets out. Everyone laments the Supernova, but I travel with towing/ racers all summer and you can spend 2x than the nova and still have worser (noun) milage and big troubles. Rolling mansions are NOT for the timid. Just my view. And I boght mine from the same place. Nice guys, LAME dealer. Oh well. Happy march all HJ Heading for a racetrack somewhere
Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Georunner

You guys got it right. This is a fine rig, when you acknowledge the limitations it has, as do all rolling houses. Please do post pictures and info on your sound reducing project.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
Gemini John

I hope all have read about the improvements and troubles breaking in our "Carrot" but here's the bottom line. 2 weeks ago I put 2100 miles down in 4 days. Only time I opened the hood was to stand on the tires to clean the windsheild. Loves 70 ,hits governer @ 75????? Flies down the interstate @ 9 mpg. Picked up a new pup in Havana Fl. 9k and happy. If you care for this beast, it's your friend. At least mine is. More to follow HJ