Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
rasputin

Default tow package

I have a 2004 Gulfstream Sun Voyager and a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee.I would like some suggestions on a tow package;tow bar,brake system,ect.and if Camping World would be a good place to buy and have iy installed?
rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: tow package

I gave up the tow-bar several years ago for a trailer, so I can't comment on the best system. However, I can tell you that Camping World will have them, but at a premium price. Check with your local towing, trailer, hitch, or plow dealers and research on-line for features and prices. When I had mine, I ordered it on line and the hitch dealer in my neighborhood installed it.

If you're even a little bit handy, you can do it yourself. Most braking systems are a unit that sits on the floor of the toad between the brake pedal and the driver's seat.

With a Jeep, and most 4wd vehicles, the transmission/drive shaft can be shifted into "TRUE" neutral. Just check your owner's manual or with the Jeep dealer for info on flat towing. Most 2wd and AWD vehicles require either modificaton to the drive train or a transmission pump to protect the tranny.

The hardest part is attaching the brackets onto the front of the car to receive the tow bar. There may be some minor wiring required as well.

This is just my opinion and I'm sure you'll get more responses that will help you decide on the best plan for you.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
rdlamb

Hi Rasputin:
I towed a 2004 Jeep Rubicon x many thousands of miles. Here is what I know for sure, and what I recommend.
If your Jeep has a transfer case, and you can shift it into neutral, you can flat tow it. My Rubicon was flat towed. I recommend flat towing as the easiest way to just connect and go. Any type of trailer, either front wheels up or all 4 on a flat bed, is a lot more work.
Wiring is either easy or complex. What type of outlet is on the GS? I.E. 4, 5, 6 or 7 wire? That will greatly help with any recommendation on how to tow the Jeep.
Your Grand Cherokee is heavy. My Rubicon was almost 5,000 lbs. You need an auxiliary brake system. Do not try towing without one, as you'll be in violation of all 50 states laws, and Canada. I'd wager your insurance company would try to get out of any claim as well. I installed a permanent system, which worked incredibly well, but the portable systems are good as well.
Check out etrailer.com for ideas.
My system was from Blue Ox. Worked well. Roadmaster was my other consideration.
Oh, and make sure you have a break-away switch, as that is required in all states as well.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
RayChez1

I have the Aventa II by Blue Ox which is a 10K lb tow bar. I have towed three different vehicles with it for 50K miles. Base plate on my latest tow vehicle which is a 2013 Honda CRV-EX is also from Blue Ox. The wire harness for the towing kit was also from Blue Ox. I towed a Honda Pilot EXL before which weighed 42,000 lbs with no problem.

The portable brake system which I install on the toad is a Brake Buddy with a break away system. Both of these companies are top notch and they stand behind their products.

But there are other brake systems that are real good like the M&G which is an adapter that is applied behind the master cylinder of the toad and is air operated with an air line that runs to the coaches air line and back to the master cylinder on the toad. When you apply the brake on the coach, it will apply the brakes on the toad. If I did not have the Brake Buddy, I probably would have the M&G brake system.

Hope that gives you some idea as to what you want.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
rdlamb

Ray; I'm about to start RV'ing again and have a Chev Colorado that I want to flat tow. Where do I find info on the M&G brake system?
I had a Unified brake system in my Rubicon. Sadly, I forgot to remove the cylinder when I sold the vehicle.
So, either a new cylinder and vacuum pump for my Chev, or a new system. The Unified is a 2008, and it seems I can still get
parts for it.
If you get a chance, I'd like to know about the M&G.
Thanks

Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Koop

Please check your GCVW. If your Sun Voyager is like mine, the towing capacity is 4,000lbs.
https://www.flyingthekoop.com
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlamb
Ray; I'm about to start RV'ing again and have a Chev Colorado that I want to flat tow. Where do I find info on the M&G brake system?
I had a Unified brake system in my Rubicon. Sadly, I forgot to remove the cylinder when I sold the vehicle.
So, either a new cylinder and vacuum pump for my Chev, or a new system. The Unified is a 2008, and it seems I can still get
parts for it.
If you get a chance, I'd like to know about the M&G.
Thanks
Here is the website link:
http://m-gengineering.com/

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
RayChez1

Yep! Thanks Ron for posting the website for Lamb. Sorry I was late to respond to your question on the M&S
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
rdlamb

Many thanks to Ron and Ray. I will digest the information and decide what system will work best for me.
For those who may be contemplating towing without any auxiliary brake system, please do not. In my few years as a full timer,
I've had way to many occasions to panic stop my coach + toad combination. I know for sure that my auxiliary brake system prevented
bad outcomes.
Travel safe,
Rick

Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Camperman

Rick, I am quite late in replying to your post but perhaps my reply might assist others. I have a Gulf Stream Sun Voyageur and tow a Nissan Versa, manual shift, 4 down. The car is quite light and easily towed. My tow bars and other equipment is Blue Ox as is the Patriot auxiliary brake for inside the car. In past 12 months I have towed the Nissan over 15,000 miles without incident, with the exception that I towed several days for longer periods and because the Patriot ran off the Cig lighter in the car the battery was flat when I disengaged. I should have run the car probably after gassing up somewhere along the road. I plan to rectify that by running a wire from my coach battery to the car so the car battery will not be effected in future. The Patriot does a great job of stopping the car especially in high traffic or mountainous terrain. It survived the Rockies.
I would strongly suggest that anyone buying any towing system or braking system study the manual first. I bought my total system from Camping Connections in Kissimmee, FL on Ebay and installed the tow base plate on my car with assistance of a mechanic. It took us 8 hours but was worth the effort to get it done right.
My better half can unhook the car in less than 5 minutes and we hook it up again in less than 10 minutes including engaging the arms on the bar, setting up the Patriot and testing lights. This works well for those few times and tight places when you need to get fuel and have to take the car off to do so.
I highly recommend the Nissan, Manual shift, because all you have to do is slip it into neutral, turn the key, make sure the emergency brake is off and nothing running such as fans or radios.
Happy trails.
Mark
Camperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
max peter

I used to tow a 1987 Suzuki Samurai with my my Chevy Silverado with just the standard tow bar and wiring. Just bought a 2004 Ultra Supreme. Will I still be able to (legally and liability-wise) hook and book, or will I have to add additional equipment?
max peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
RayChez1

Max, it really does not matter what tow bar you use, but you will need some kind of brake system on the toad. I use a Brake Buddy, but there are many other brands.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #13
max peter

But legally, in California, do I need supplementally brakes to tow the Suzuki, or can I just tow it with a standard set-up?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Chuck v

Max,

There are many sites where you can see the laws regarding towing on a per state basis -- here is one:

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

Note that for any trailer or vehicle weighing over 1500 lbs in California you need brakes. Here in Oregon we also have the same 1500 lb threshold, but also must be able to stop the combination within a specified maximum distance...

I use the BrakeMaster proportional air brakes and Sterling All-Terrain tow bar from RoadMaster because my coach has air brakes and RoadMaster is a fairly local company. Any quality equivalent would work as well...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
RayChez1

Max, You do need brakes on your toad in California and many other states. If you were to get into an accident, that is the first thing they would check. You could probably get away with it not having supplemental brakes on your toad, as long as no accident happens. But why take a chance.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
max peter

Thank you, guys.