Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Arthur Hayes

Default Basement A/C/Heat Pump

My unit is having problems, and making moaning sounds. Has anyone had their units serviced and if so where? Has anyone removed their unit for service?
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Arthur Hayes

Default Re: Basement A/C/Heat Pump

I have read everything I could find on these units and now I am not sure if I had a problem. The unit was in heat mode and the outside temps may have gotten too low at that time. It should have automatically switched to the gas furnace but it didn't.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 02-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
RayChez1

Mine switches to propane furnace from Heat pumps only when the temperature drops below freezing 32 degrees. But on my coach they are on top with the air conditioner/heat pump combination, not basement. Never knew the TourMaster had the air conditioner on the basement. I thought they had three air conditioners on top.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Mine switches to propane furnace from Heat pumps only when the temperature drops below freezing 32 degrees. But on my coach they are on top with the air conditioner/heat pump combination, not basement. Never knew the TourMaster had the air conditioner on the basement. I thought they had three air conditioners on top.
There's a guy in minnesota near Fargo with a 2006 Tour Master 40A, with basement A/C and heat pump. Also, has a residential refrigerator. He syas the title says 2006. It must be a late '06. He sent me pictures and its plain to see there are no roof A/C units. My 2006 Tour Master has 2 roof units.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
RayChez1

That is news to me that Gulf Stream had TourMasters with air conditioner/heat pump on a compartment type unit. I thought that was a Winnie design to put the ac in a rear compartment. On the Gulf Stream club I used to belong there was some TourMasters but they originally had two top ac with heat pumps on the roof. Then they had some problems with them not cooling enough so Gulf Stream added a third unit.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
That is news to me that Gulf Stream had TourMasters with air conditioner/heat pump on a compartment type unit. I thought that was a Winnie design to put the ac in a rear compartment. On the Gulf Stream club I used to belong there was some TourMasters but they originally had two top ac with heat pumps on the roof. Then they had some problems with them not cooling enough so Gulf Stream added a third unit.
I don't know exactly where the basement A/C unit is and neither does he. He hasn't had it very long and its his first motorhome. I've seen pictures of his unit with the compartments open and I didn't see any difference between his and mine as far as what's in the compartments. So, the A/C unit must be mounted on the frame somewhere. I have seen a basement unit serviced on a fifthwheel and they had to get at it from underneath. They basically had to remove it to work on it. I have two 15,000 BTU units on the roof and they do a fine job of keeping the coach cool. They are noisy though. Also, have a friend that had a Winnebago with a basement unit and that did have a problem keeping up when it got much above 90deg. Some larger coaches that have basement units have two of them.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Arthur Hayes

Yes ToruMaster did have the basement a/c/heat pumps and if you were at the RV shows in Jan 06 and later you would have seen them. They are 25000 BTU 2 compressor units mounted next to the engine on the passenger side. The grill for the a/c may look like a side radiator unit. These are the same units that Winnebago's use. When engines started requiring DEF tanks for the EPA that space became unavailable for the A/C. When I ordered my unit from the factory in May 2006 I had added a 12000 BTU rooftop unit which I have rarely used. We like the quietness of the basement unit.

It does take two men to slide it out for service, not that easy of a job.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
Chuck v

Art,

Several years ago I commissioned a commercial 45 foot coach from Vantare' in Florida based on a Prevost I-45. It had three "cruise-aire" basement units and those were indeed quiet and powerful air conditioner/heat pumps. Because this coach was our company demonstration lab/conference room/training center and had two full racks of electronics, several servers, fiber and VDSL distribution units as well as multiple Sun mini-computers -- we also had a roof air conditioner over the equipment racks just to cool the space behind the equipment.

You can see this coach in my last post in this thread... note that in addition to all the above described characteristics, it was also a rolling advertisement billboard for the company! Since one of the site updates, the photo got a bit shaved on the right side but you still can get the idea. Yes -- that's a fully automated ENG style 1.5 meter dish on top with full GPS/Flux Gate positioning and uplink/downlink capability. It could seek to any satellite from horizon to horizon for ANY of the primary network feeds, not the re-packagers like Dish and DirecTV.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2083&start=15

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #9
happ55959

i Have a 2005 Tourmaster and need work done on my AC basement unit it use to cool now does not never got the heat to work really never tried but the fan seems to time out any suggestions what to do or who to call repari or replace?
happ55959 is offline   Reply With Quote