Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
rsims

Default lCI ELECTRONIC LEVELING SYSTEM LEAKS

having problem with LCI leveling system leaking on '09 Supernova does anyone have any suggestions on resealing the pump
Old 04-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Marty

Default Re: lCI ELECTRONIC LEVELING SYSTEM LEAKS

I had the same problem on my 2009 Supernova, model 6331 (34' version). I contacted the manufacturer and they said the motor, pump and reservoir was a sealed one piece unit and it could not be rebuilt. They stated the entire unit would have to be replaced. My warranty had just expired but they were still kind enough to send me a new one at no charge. The unit was very easy to remove. If I recall correctly, there were four or five hydraulic lines to disconnect, one or two electrical connections and two or four bolts holding the entire unit (motor, pump, reservoir) to a mounting plate. In my opinion, the problem was caused by installing the unit without providing support for the reservoir. The weight of the fluid inside the reservoir was too much without being supported. When I received the new unit (which came already attached to a mounting plate), I removed the mounting plate from the old malfunctioning unit and used it to support the reservoir section on the new unit. I installed the mounting plate to the existing rails by drilling holes and bolting. The reservoir is much more stable now.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
rsims

Thanks Marty. I had talked to the Gulfstream warranty department less than 30 days after the warranty ran out - basically said "too bad". It has leaked since the day we have gotten it and tried supporting the reservoir like you did and helped some. I think I need to pull the unit and reseal it. I'm quit familiar with hydraulics and have already rebuilt the electric motor for the pump once. I did not know if there are any parts available for the unit. Open for suggestions.

Also did you see our post on the cracked skirt on the fender well, you have the same model 6331?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Marty

I should have been more clear in my reply. I actually contacted the manufacturer of the hydraulic jack unit, not Gulfstream. At that time, they were very understanding and honored their expired warranty. I could probably locate the contact information in my files if it will help you. They were adamant about not being able to provide rebuild parts and just sent me a new unit. I guess I got lucky!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Marty

I forgot to answer your question about the cracked fender skirt. Yes, I have the same issue on the passenger (curb) side. The crack is about 1/2 inch long. Have you checked out the "Ghost" Super C by NexusRV.com yet? It is very similar to ours but on a newer chassis with the bigger motor.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
rsims

Thanks. I would like the contact information. I didn't get any manuals or parts book on the leveling system when I bought our 6331 in March '09, the dealer went out of business just after we bought the unit. If it is alright I would like to know what state your located in. We are head to Dover, Delaware for the NASCAR race in June. My fender skirts are cracked in the corners on each end and the right side one in the middle about 5". I was going to post if any one had replaced there fan clutch with an electronic controlled or activated unit I saw one on a VT365 at the dealer but could never get any information on it. Have you done any modifications to your motor or chassis. I have done a EGR delete kit and changed the exhaust and a bigger trans pan.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Marty

My leveling jacks were manufactured by Lippert Components, Inc. The number is 866-524-7821 and the website is WWW.lci1.com. Ask them for the Operation / Service Manual when you call. It's very informative. I live in New York and we will be at the Dover race again this year too. If your 6331 is from Martinsburg RV in Pennsylvania and it has the luxury blue stripe, I am familiar with your Supernova. I test drove a 6331there during the spring of 2009. I have not done any modifications to mine but I did have to replace the clutch fan because it was not fully disengaging sometimes and I do have a very minor oil leak somewhere above the back side of the oil pan. It appears to leak only for a few trips after I remove it from storage and then it cures itself. I'm curious about the advantages of your modifications.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
rsims

Our 6331 was bought here in Colorado but I did shop at other dealers and the one in PA. made us a great deal also. The EGR delete reduces risk of blown head gaskets lower exhaust temp, lowers coolant temp, eliminates turbo lag & surge makes more boost with lots cooler intake air temp & faster turbo spool up. Your oil will stay much cleaner with out all that soot being sucked back in to the intake an so will your turbo. I took mine off when I had less than 5K miles. The VT365 is the same basic motor as the ford 6.0L it was used in lots of ford pickups medium duty trucks and lots of school buses from 2003 to 2008. I think GS bought the last of them as part of there deal with International. The trans pan holds 1 more gallon of fluid is made of aluminum and has large cooling fins to help with cooling. I also got rid of the trashcan muffler & went with one of the performance ones, 4" in & out with no back pressure for better turbo performance & less heat. My next project is to get rid of the viscus fan clutch and go with an electromagnetic one from Horton. I have seen it on other units but have not came up with all the parts yet. I'm still working on fixing the leaking leveling system pump.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
porchracer1

Rsims, Can you share where you purchased your egr delete kit or hardware? also the trans pan, I'm still wondering how many different features Gulf stream used on the super novas. While you guys are posting about your leveler system and the leaking problems I just shake my head my 2008 6331 has no reseivor. My leveler system is all electric with motors and gear drive on top of each leg. The only problem I've had is over extending and shearing the pin. Now that I've seen it repaired I can get the pins made and do the repair myself. Rsims back to the egr delete, Did this eliminate the turbo fart when shifting??? Very interested in all info on this, Thanks in advance for any info your willing to share.
porchracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Marty

Thanks for the information regarding your modifications.