Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
rescue7

Default 2007 TourMaster large slide help

Does anyone know what holds the large slide up on the inside floor, (the one with the table and couch).
There is a large plasic guide mounted to the floor. On the left inside corner my plastic guide is broken. You can see where maybe a roller has worn it down? Now the bottom black material outside is getting ripped when the slide goes out.
So I guess what holds the inside of the slide up as it goes out. Does it have a rolle or is it the edge riding on the plastic.
Does anyone know how it is built.

Thanks

Don
Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Chuck v

Don,

There is no roller on the bottom edges of the living room slide that can work against the white plastic sill plate on the chassis opening framing. I agree that it is a very poor design to expect that the fabric covering of the underside of the slide room itself would take that type of friction in such a sliding service for any reasonable length of time. The white part is made of a UHMW plastic (ultra high molecular weight) and mine was also broken at each end when I bought the coach used. It is the first few inches under the side walls of the slide that takes the brunt of the force, as that is where all the weight is bearing.

Since my coach was not in warranty, this is what I had my independent RV shop do: When they replaced the white part, they cut it short of the corner in the floor framing of the main coach at each end by almost an inch -- this keeps the UHMW part much more flat and precludes the stresses from bending the last bit of the span due to the opening's corner radius and other irregularities. Then the shop also put a thin (about 1/4 inch X 6 inch) strip of UHMW black material under both the side walls of the slide (glued and countersunk screwed over the 'fabric') so that is the surface that contacts the white part on the sill now. It works, but these living room slides are really big and heavy, so the design itself is marginal in my estimation.

At the same time I had the above work done, I also had all the room gaskets replaced as they were torn from the room having dropped down on the broken sill piece. I was having the carpet and entry steps upgraded at the same time by another shop in Junction City, Oregon where the RV service is located, so I was without my coach for several weeks last summer...

Good luck on however you choose to address this issue, and keep us all informed on your approach... Thanks!

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
rescue7

Chuck

Thanks for information. That helps a lot. Did they remove the slide to put the UHMW material on or work from inside. I tried epoxy on the plastic but that did not hold.
Will keep you informed what I do for repair.

Don
Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Chuck v

Don,

My understanding was that they 'hyper-extended" the slide but did not take it completely off. This shop is about 100 miles from my home so I did not see the work being done... (but I CAN imagine how much work it must be to take a slide room of this size completely off the coach!!)

Chuck

Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
rescue7

Chuck

Are the two pieces they put under the walls on the outside bottom or do they span both the inside to the outside on top of the plastic bottom strip.
Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

Don
Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Chuck v

Don,

The slider material that was added to the underside of the slideroom under the side walls goes as far toward the inside edge of the room as they could place it when they installed it. I cannot see the end of it now that the room and its gaskets are in their normal positions when the room is out.

I can try to get you some pictures in a few days.

Chuck

Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
rescue7

I talked to Millie at Gulf Stream parts Friday and she looked up the plastic floor piece. It is not a Gulf Stream part it is from Power Gear who made the slide. The part number if anyone needs it is DN12504. Gulf Stream no longer has an account with Power Gear so you cant get it thru them. You must find a dealer or repair place that can talk to Power Gear, as we all know they wont talk to an owner.

Don
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Kate P

Chuck - can you give me the name of the place in Oregon who fixed your slide problem and also, how much it cost. We are having the same problem and we have tile flooring in the coach and the edge of the slide closest to the driver's seat has rubbed the glaze off of the tile. First we have to get the slide fixed and then we need to replace four tiles!
Thanks,
Kate
Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Chuck v

Kate,

The mechanical work was done by Guaranty RV in Junction City, Oregon. 1-800-379-5332. Our service adviser was Mark Kelson. We had several things done like replacing the seals also, but the UHMW strip work cost $584 and the added pieces under the room itself were another material and labor cost of about $200 if I recall...

We have installed new carpet throughout, which includes where the slide first travels up to the tile in the 'hall way' and did notice that the prior carpet was very worn at the slide room edges/walls where all the weight is carried. We have always used a semi-rigid plastic protector since the new carpet went in. Some of these are sold as RV slide room specific -- but we just use a clear office chair mat cut lenghtwise and placed at the floor in the two places where the slide side walls move over the carpet. This protects from any scuffing and would be easily replaced if necessary. They can be taken up when the slide room is extended, so they do not impact the 'decor' of the coach.

Hope this helps...

Chuck

Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Kate P

Thanks for all the info. I think it will be quite helpful. Do you do any maintenance on the slides? And also, any maintenance on the jacks?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:54 AM   #11
HenryNorman

Default Re: 2007 TourMaster large slide help

I would like to thank you for such an informative guide. And, of course, I will consider it. In addition to the said above, I wanted to remind you that we have opened a blog , here is our first article: http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/how-s...-pros-and-cons
HenryNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
Byronclink

I had a similar issue and just fixed it myself for a few bucks. I put 2 strips of heavy gauge galvanized sheet metal about 16” wide under the slide where the plasticized fabric was wearing. Measured carefully and screwed in from the bottom into the plywood floor. One of the pieces of 2x12 plastic finally came loose and I got it out. The only way to put it back was to remove the slide. So....I replaced it with a piece 4” wide so I had room to countersink 5 screws in front of the slide. Sticks out slightly, but disappears under the carpet runner. Ran the idea by the local RV shop service manager and he said that’s what he would do. Took a few minutes and a few bucks. Much better than a week’s stay in the shop and a huge bill.
Byronclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #13
riverofcode

I too have a 2008 TM 40c that had the UHMW slide guide strip wear nearly out. I fixed it my self using 3/8" UHMW material. I ran the slide out as far as it would go and I cut the outer ends of the strip off with a drywall "punch" saw. I put a bottle jack and a board under the slide outside and lifted it up just a tad bit to make a bit more room under it. I got the material from McMaster-Carr. Since I knew that it would just rub thru again I put a 2'x4' by 1/32" thick sheet of polyethylene on the outer part of the slide bottom. I used 3M 90 spray adhesive to keep it in place and anchored the ends with strips of aluminum. It moves in so much smoother now. BTW, the screws are self tapping and have a very thin head that countersinks nicely.

I attached a picture of the inside of the slide and a shot of the bottom with the PE on it.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slide_guides.jpg (104.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg slide_bottom.jpg (114.2 KB, 19 views)

2008 Tour Master T40c
2014 Honda CRV toad
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote