Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-31-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
gsadmin

Default Outside hatches missing struts

On my 2004 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme, some of the exterior hatches have struts, some have struts with retaining cables to keep them from rising to the level of the slide, some have manual prop-ups, and some (electrical and fresh water service compartments) have not whatsoever.

Gulf Stream insists my coach is "built to design". But, they will not answer why the design would be made such that the hatches must be propped up with a broomstick and then drop on your head.

What is the situation with other Class A owners? Do you have struts or supports on all hatches?
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:25 AM   #2

Default Compartment door struts

Yes! My Scenic Cruiser has struts on all the compartment doors. Where the slides are they only open so far, so that they won't hit the slide. But where there is no slide they have real long struts to keep the compartment doors up.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
gsadmin

Thanks for the feedback. Since your coach is two grades in luxury above mine its not necessarily a fair comparison...but thanks for the feedback.

Maybe someone else is out there with an Ultra Supreme that can tell me how there's is configured.

GS has refused to make amends on this...I cannot believe that non-supported hatches were designed intentionally that way (which is their pathetic response)
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
RJ82much

I have struts or props on EVERY compartment with limiters where there might be slideout interferance, or damage from water heater hot exhaust.

It's absurd that a manufacturer would claim they leave off struts or props "by design" - absolutely absurd.

I'd love to see Gulf Stream make that statement in major advertising: "And to save weight & improve balance, we've been able to eliminate unneccesary items such as compartment hatch props & struts."

or better yet: "Here at Gulf Stream, our Product Development Engineers have come up with a new 'safety feature' we like to call the ACC (Auto-Closing Compartment). No more asking yourself 'did I remember to close the compartment doors?'"

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
s79vette

I have the same problem on my 03 Ultra Supreme so you ain't alone. It's
something I've complained about to myself but thats all. I wish they had
something. Maybe I'll install new struts. I took the cable off the big
hatch on pass. side for easier access. Did you read my posts on tank
valves? Is your black tank, facing hatch, on the left? This is directed to
administrator. Steve
s79vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
gsadmin

At least GS is consistent. Even if their engineering is lacking. My issue is why they can't see this as a safety issue and just rectify it. I have whacked my head on the electrical compartment two times already and its only a matter of time before the sharp edge of the fresh water compartment gashes my skull.

Built to design...what a cop out.

My black tank is the tank on the left and the grey on the right.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
AAFD

I have struts on all my compartments. Those that don't have slides above them open all the way the others have the wire rope that only let them open part of the way.

KC
Old 06-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #8
AAFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
I have struts or props on EVERY compartment with limiters where there might be slideout interferance, or damage from water heater hot exhaust.

It's absurd that a manufacturer would claim they leave off struts or props "by design" - absolutely absurd.

I'd love to see Gulf Stream make that statement in major advertising: "And to save weight & improve balance, we've been able to eliminate unneccesary items such as compartment hatch props & struts."

or better yet: "Here at Gulf Stream, our Product Development Engineers have come up with a new 'safety feature' we like to call the ACC (Auto-Closing Compartment). No more asking yourself 'did I remember to close the compartment doors?'"

ACC sounds like it would be expensive and could cause alot of problems down the road. We have issues on our fire trucks compartment doors, we have warning lights that let us know if a compartment door is left open.

KC
Old 06-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
gsadmin

KC, Bob was making a TIC (tongue in cheek) comment about GS selling it as a feature (not having a support)

- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #10
AAFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsadmin
KC, Bob was making a TIC (tongue in cheek) comment about GS selling it as a feature (not having a support)

A light that would show weather or not you left a compartment door or not would be nice

KC
Old 06-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #11
RJ82much

Actually, I think AAFD DID hit the nail on the head. "ACC" (Auto-Compartment-Close where the compartment lid just falls closed) would be sold by GS to the customer as an EXTRA cost safety feature.

"For an EXTRA $300 engineering charge, we will leave out struts & props to insure closure of the lids before you drive away."

After all, they really did do this to me (or the dealer did, I'll never know who). GS advertised & the dealer demo'd FlexSteel front seating. Then they tried to deliver their own inferior, uncomfortable brand. When I insisted on my FlexSteel, they said there was now a $1000 engineering UPGRADE fee (maybe more, I forget, I was so livid).

By the way, does anyone have the non-FlexSteel front seating? This would be on '05 models. FlexSteel has the oval logo on the armrest... No oval, NOT FlexSteel. What do you think of them?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #12
AAFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
Actually, I think AAFD DID hit the nail on the head. "ACC" (Auto-Compartment-Close where the compartment lid just falls closed) would be sold by GS to the customer as an EXTRA cost safety feature.

"For an EXTRA $300 engineering charge, we will leave out struts & props to insure closure of the lids before you drive away."

After all, they really did do this to me (or the dealer did, I'll never know who). GS advertised & the dealer demo'd FlexSteel front seating. Then they tried to deliver their own inferior, uncomfortable brand. When I insisted on my FlexSteel, they said there was now a $1000 engineering UPGRADE fee (maybe more, I forget, I was so livid).

By the way, does anyone have the non-FlexSteel front seating? This would be on '05 models. FlexSteel has the oval logo on the armrest... No oval, NOT FlexSteel. What do you think of them?
We have a early 05 and our seats are Flexsteel

KC