Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
elektrik

Default Words of advice-thinking of buying our first RV

Hi Folks. We live in California and are looking to get into RVs (with a limited budget) and there is an ad for a 1988 Regatta High Rise Class A by Gulfstream Motor home in or local ad. Can anyone give any pointers and/or advice about potentially buying an RV so 'old'? I posted the following questions and got the following answers:

1. How many miles does the RV have on it? --->21000 miles
2. What issues (if any) are you aware of with it?--->No issues that we have experienced
3. Is it currently smogged/registered? --->It is not currently smogged or registered (non op) but we will smog before selling.

I noted the fact that they said they would smog, but they omitted the 'register' part, which concerns me a bit. Besides that (assumingly hefty California registration) fee, I'm just a little concerned by the age-don't want to waste our money.

Thanks in advance for the newbie help!!
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
nomad

Default Re: Words of advice-thinking of buying our first RV

1988 wow that is old .
21000 miles is really nothing but still 1988 that alone would deter me .
In my state that would qualify for historical plates
8000 watt Onan Generator
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Mary David Fiala

Hi, We are also Newbies. Just purchased a 1988 Gulf Stream Sun Sport. We would like to use it for weekend destinations. We're experiencing some difficulties with finding parts, such as the plastic clip on the generator. Some newer parts are compatible; but would like to find a reliable website/source for original parts such as plastic clip on generator. Found it difficult to navigate at http://www.rvwholesalers.com Anyone know of a better website for locating used parts?
Mary David Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
RayChez1

Since Gulf Stream got out of the motorized coaches, it makes it harder to get parts. It was hard even before. Then comes the age of the coach making it even more difficult. There are after market places where you can buy and will work just as good.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote