Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
satboyz

Default Dewinterizing

have a 2003 Gulfstream friendship trio motorhome had a RV dealer winterize my motorhome now I want to DE winterize it myself would someone give me the way to do it and what valve are open and closed
satboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Dennis4809

Default Re: Dewinterizing

Hook up the water supply and use the mh. Only caution is to ensure that water heater is full before you apply heat. If you have AquaHot, can't hurt it but others will burn out. Check for valves that bypass the water heater, and ensure that the drain plug is in place. If you have the water manifold, there are two valves to bypass the water heater.
Wouldn't hurt to check water levels in batteries. If it's been plugged in all winter, might have lost a little water.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
RayChez1

I never winterize because it does not get that cold here in Southern California, but I believe you need to blow out all your water lines and get that pink stuff out. Flush the lines real good and also your water heater pull the plug out. Since you are pulling the plug out of the water heater you might as well change the anode. You can buy another at Home Depot.

Like I said, not sure what they do when they winterize a coach. I was wondering about the big 100 gallon water tank. You might have to pump it dry, fill and re-dump again.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
03heritagerider

I have the same rig, but I do things a little differently. When I winterize, I empty the water heater and bypass its lines, then drain the fresh water tank and allow them to sit for a few days and finally remove and plug the water filter (it goes to ice maker and drinking water tap on sink if so equipped). Then, I just unscrew the cap on the top of the water tank and pour in a few gallons of RV antifreeze. I turn on the water pump and and turn on everything one at a time. Start at outside water/sewage compartment and turn on hot then cold on outside shower, then the outside hose faucet. Go inside and turn on the hot, cold and drinking water tap at kitchen sink until it runs pink. Then to the bathroom sink, the shower, the toilet (including the sprayer), the washer (run a warm setting just until the water starts to fill the tub). Don't forget the ice maker (I did one year and it split the pump). I run the water pump until all the antifreeze is used up. Add more if you need it. Be sure the antifreeze gets into all the drain traps and down the toilet

Since we live in the northeast and spend January through March somewhere it doesn't snow, I usually de-winterize at the first RV park where the weather cooperates.

To de-winterize, I hook up the city water hose and fill the fresh water tank with about 10-20 gallons of water run a short wash cycle and open all the faucets until they run clear, and the tank runs dry. I then add more water and do it again to flush it all out. Plug the water heater, reverse the by-pass and done. You'll need to make a few batches of ice to clear that line.

When on the road we only consume bottled water. Whatever water is used from the tank is for bathing and toilet flushing. When we get to an RV park or campground, we use the city water.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
howermj

Advice from Dennis4809 and 03heritagerider is good. One thing that I always add is a complete flush/sanitizing of the water system.

Great step by step video here...

howermj is offline   Reply With Quote