Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Lighted Grab Handle

I have a lighted grab handle at the door of my 2004 Gulfstream Sun Voyager. It has started going on and off. Is this a flouresent tube light?? If so do I need to just replace the tube and how do I do this?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
darbyjudy

Default Lighted door handle

2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager
Surely someone has my answer. How is the grab handle lighted ? It is flashing as though there is a tube in it somewhere. If so is it a special tube or bulb. How is it replaced?
Come on fellows I need some help.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

I don't think anyone has the answer that is why they haven't replied.
I have the same lighted handle, but have never had to replace the bulb in it.

I do plan on removing the the screws that rust with stainless steel screws and will look at it when I do to see what/how the bulb is replaced.

Have you removed yours and looked at it yet?

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
treecounter

Send a message via AIM to treecounter

After seeing your post I decided to see if our handle had a blown light. Removed the screws (stainless) Didn't find any light bulbs or wires. found about two table spoons full of water in the lower holder and corrosion on the screw where it went through the frame. Put it back together and siliconed the lower holder where the handle went in to stop the water from getting in. Thanks
Old 10-01-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
darbyjudy

Default Lighted door handle

No Ron I have not taken it apart yet to see how it is made. It appears as if they may be a flouresent tube in it the way it is flickering. The screws were replaced by LaMesa for it had about haft of them broken off. I plan on filling the gas tank tomorrow for the price has wnet down to about $2.13 a gallon and then I want to replace the fuel rail clip that was sne to me by Workhorse on a recall notice. I want to do it myself for the last time LaMesa took the motor cover off they put it back with out install the screws that hold it tight. It is hard to get someone to do a job like you do it yourself. I was a mechanic all my working life so try to do most everything myself. Saves me some money also. If I get to this tomorrow I will let the Forum know what I find. I just hope it is not a part that I cannot get.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Gas in our area is $1.979 @ Gal. and Diesel is $2.549

Ron
Old 10-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Today I decided to remove the lighted handle and replace the all the mounting screws with stainless steel screws. Three of the eight screws were broken. There was rust were the break was on all three so I assume of this that someone had there air power screwdriver set too high and actually cracked them upon installation.

Was able to get hold of two of them with a small pair of vice grips and screw them out, the third I had to drill out.

While I had the handle off I looked at the light assembly to see what/how it was made. There was two wire connectors at the top base that I could pull apart. The top metal part pulls off the "light tube" part of the handle.
Then I straightened out the wire as much as I could and was able to push the light assembly down out of the top base.

I am not quite sure what kind of bulb/light I was looking at. It has a very small circuit board on it. It appears to be an LED of some type. Whatever it is, I believe it must be replaced as an assembly. I am going to get hold of Gulf Stream Service on Tueday just to get their input as to what this light is and how would one go about replacing it if needed and where to get the replacement.

I them put it all back together and reinstalled it on the coach. Sure looks a lot better without the rusty screws.

Oh by the way, The 12 SS Screws #8 x 1-1/4" cost all of a dollar at Ziegler Nut & Bolt, a local industrial supply company for fasteners. I really only needed 8 but I thought I would get spares if I ever needed them for something else.

Ron
Old 10-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
darbyjudy

Default Lighted Grab handle

Ron I took my handle apart today and it has the same type of bulb and circut that you describled in yours. Please let me know what you find out about it from GulfStream. My handle also had about haft of the screws broked off.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

I also had the handle screws replaced by my dealer under warrenty. Half were rusted and broken. I asked what type of bulb it took and I seem to remember the tech telling me that they just replace the whole handle. I believe a replacement handle was about 68 bucks. The techs did a real nice job on the handle and even siliconed around the thing so no rain can get in. They did the same thing to the rear ladder for me to.

Next time I go back I will have them do the same thing to the top clearance lights. I noticed a little moister in some of the lenses.

Happy camping.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
RJ82much

Ah information, sweet information.

The "assist handle" used by Gulf Stream at the entryway is made by ITC corporation in Holland, MI. The actual part number is 86439nicl18-GS, an 18 inch spiral, illuminated grip handle with light.

The light is a LED, polarity sensitive, and 100,000 hour life. Pictures can be seen at http://www.itc-rv.com/handles.html.

Rhonda Van Oss responded to my request for data within minutes She can be emailed at [email protected], or 616.396.1355.

She also sent me a data sheet detailing the care of their assist handles, & the procedure to change the LED. Email me at [email protected] & I'll forward the attachment of that document.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

RJ

Great information, you beat me to it. Good Job!!

I called GSC Service and talked to Bobbie and she said they replace the whole handle whenever there is a problem, but that is very, very rare.

She said the LED bulb assembly was $22.00. She is getting the manufacturers name and info, but it was late in the day and will get back to me tomorrow. But RJ has provided that along with the part number for the handle.

Darby,
Bobbie wanted to know if you found any moisture in your handle. She thought that might be why it is flittering. Suggested drying it and see if that stopped it. Guess that is one thing that they had happen before.
Bobbie suggested that we all should make sure that the handle is sealed with clear silicone sealant where it mounts to the coach.

Ron
Old 10-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
georgn

I ordered a replacement for the pigtail bulb that goes in the top of the grab bar from a local rv dealer.
The part # is a Fleetwood part#: 370952 Pigtail Light.
Works like a charm. The reason they go bad is condensation accumilating on the little board, it just plainn ruins it.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
darbyjudy

Default Replaced bulb assy.

I bought the bulb assy from ITC, removed the handle and installed the bulb assy . Reinstalled the handle with new SS Screws and works fine now. It took me longer to clean off the old sicilon sealer than do the job. Now I am looking for the weep hole covers for the side windows. I have a lot of wind noise and I thought I would try those if I can find them.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #14
Earl S

Default Re: Lighted Grab Handle

Is there a switch to turn the light on & off? If so where is it?
Earl S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #15
RayChez1

Default Re: Lighted Grab Handle

Had not been in the forum in awhile, but yes the handle usually have a small LED bulb in the end of the grab handle and it lights it up with a fiber optic running through the center of the handle. Glad you guys got the problem solved.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote