Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
djqualls

Default The Perils Of A New Owner Part 2 (Post Replies To This One)

Dave's Claremore RV performed the work flawlessly and even fixed the knuckle joint on the glass closer for the front door, (earlier Post) and fixed my mirrors, (another earlier post) and actually rotated the driver's side mirror around to the back where it is positioned so you can see it out of the side window instead of trying to look thru the front window.

My Man had it there at 8am sharp so they could start the work early.

Now for the drama.......

On the way home it began to rain....and rain.......and rain......

He is an experienced driver, so no problem....not torrential rainfall but steady rain.....

My Man is literally 10 miles from home, when some lady...with 3 children aboard in a new to her, 2005 mustang only 2 days old to her, decided she would pass the Tourmaster which was going about 50mpg on a flat stretch of two lane road after sundown.....

She hydroplanes the Mustang while running side by side trying to pass my money pit.... She admmitted that when she hydroplaned she floored the gas pedal thinking it would get traction...

Well...... she slams the coach square in the front compartment door on the driver's side that houses the propane. It also bent the compartment door behind it and cracks the fiberglass wheel well as well.

The impact slingshots her in to a couple of 360's and spins out into the opposing ditch....

The impact to the coach is so hard that it knocked some of the compartment doors open on the opposite side of the coach.

My man and his wife who were onboard were not injured as of this writing.

Like I mentioned before he is an experienced Class A driver and managed to keep it on the road and get stopped without further incident.

He did say that if he had not had his seat belt on, he would have been thrown out of his seat. You can guess how that would have affected the outcome.

When his wife called all I could think is are you hurt??? She said "No", then I'm thinking a crunched beer can...... A $150,000 crunched beer can......

I arrived on scene in the driving rain and darkness, and it doesn't look bad for what happened.

Mind you that all of this happened after dark.....

Remember from the first post my passion for idiots........

Its a good thing that she (Driver of the car) decided to go to the hospital because she had a back pain......

Bottom Line..... Coach can be repaired..........

Drivers and Passengers can't.........

Children were OK as I was told.......... I want to turn her in to Child services...(remember my disdain for idiots)

Highway Patrolman who worked the accident cited her twice....once for speeding and one for improper driving....

She did have a two day insurance policy...........

I'm just turning the whole claim to my attorney to deal with.

I not only have damage, but lost revenue from loss of the coaches services during the bowl season. (We use it in our business) We had it scheduled for Liberty and Fiesta Bowl work.

I would appreceiate any suggestions to possible hidden damage to look for.

Shock to electronics....electrical systems....generator...frame suspension....anything that anyone can think of that I should be concerned about.

I'm even concerned about the extraordianry depreceiated value due to it having been wrecked.... Remember this was more negligence than a sheer weather related accident.

I would be thankful for your advice.

Oh well......happy holidays....

Dave..................

P.S. i will post some Pics to my picture trail account and put up a link when available.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
coolchas11

A very disouraging story. We have followed all your posts from the beginning a/c problems....... And now the accident. I am in no way a technician, but I would think you would want to go to a Freightliner center to have them check out the chassis. Charlie
Old 12-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

Is there black clouds hanging over you or what since you purchased the TM?

Thank goodness no one was seriously injured that is known. I believe you did the best thing and let the lawyer handle it. High performance car with a low performance brain, not a good mix and with children in the car!

You got some good advice about having Frieghtliner check the frame, also have the alignment checked at all axle postions along with the ride height.

Make sure the frame work that Gulf Stream installs onto the chassis is also checked along with the compartment flooring. I would also have all the bolts fasteners checked for the generator frame. Get a visual inspection of the cabinets to make sure none were loosened or shifted.

In other words a complete inspection of every inch of the coach from front to back looking for impact damage.

Keep us informed of what is happening.

Ron

PS: I just reread your posts about the doors on the opposite side of the coach coming open, it makes me believe that the force was transfered thru the lower compartment framework that Gulf Stream installed. I would definitely have this framing for the compartments looked at and inspected throughly, it could be bent or cracked from the force it received. The force was so great that it made the doors unlatch and open, I would think that it probably did do damage IMHO.
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
djqualls

Here is a link to pictures of the damage.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...66&uid=3871897
Old 12-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

WOW!!!! That was quite a hit. Definitely some framework damage behind the door where it latches.

I really feel for you, I would be sick if that was our coach.

Ron
Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
earljan34

Dave, I would also check the slide-out to make sure its working OK and not leaking! It took a real hard hit good luck with the repairs.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
djqualls

I ran the slide after we got it home and nothing noticed. It was raining. but no visible leaks yet......
Old 12-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
darbyjudy

Default Bad Luck

I reaqlly feel you pain, it seems that all your luck has turned bad since buying the Tourmaster. At least no one was hurt. The tourmaster can be repaired. The worst thing if you are going to be without it for a long time while it is being repaired. I would advise having the frame checked and maybe you will be lucky and it will be ok. good Luck on the repair. Maybe once this is behind you it will be clear sailing from now on.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
djqualls

I took it our for a little run today and filled up the diesel. I ran about 40 miles and it seemed to drive just fine. I had a little tire balance feel between 70-75 but handling was normal and it seemed to want to pull a little to the right but I can't tell if it was the road or what.

The gen was running fine and the sat in-motion and tv were fine. no noticable rattles or such.

I may have some luck as to the extent of the damages. It will be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

I talked to Mike at Master Tech in Elkhart and told them they were who I wanted to do the work because I feel more comfortable having it worked on where most of the components are made or installed local.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave.......
Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

Sounds like you have a good plan and it is a good decision I believe to have Master Tech do the repairs since they work closely with Gulf Stream and should have access to the needed parts more than most.

I take it that they have a body and paint shop? If not Mike's Custom Painting is who did the painting of your coach at the Gulf Stream Factory when it was manufactured. They also have a shop in Bremen, IN.

I believe I would mention to the insurance adjuster that you believe that the front end alignment was knocked out and it pulls to the right after the impact.

Ron
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
gsadmin

Wow, DJ, at this point (and i am not a superstitious man) I would patch that thing up and trade it in to some over zealous and over confident sales person for another similar coach.

Start fresh my man, start fresh...
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
djqualls

A little update.......

Well,... after I called the adjuster's bluff about the insurance compnay not being obligated to have it repaired in Elkhart, they are giving MasterTech a blank check to have it repaired. Tim From Mastertech must made a good sales pitch on them.

As soon as i get time to take it to Elkhart I'll "git er done..."

I have been in San Diego. I rented a RV for a week and went to mexico. It was called the Carnival Spirit.

Held about 2,000 and a crew of over 900. One heck of a motorhome.... Tire pressure wasn't a problem but I think it had one heck of a steer safe system on it.....
Old 04-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #13
djqualls

As I write this post, I'm in the Holiday Inn Express in Elkhart about a couple miles from Mastertech. The coach will be ready for pickup around noon Tomorrow.

I feel very comfortable with the crew there. We have talked several times via phone and email. I'm not expecting any oversights and hope to be back on the road tomorrow afternoon toward Oklahoma.

Myself and a good friend flew to Chicago today and rented a car for the drive to Elkhart and made a mini trip out of it. We couldn't get our wives to come for the journey because we refused to stay in Chicago so they could shop Michigan Ave.

I will post another and hopefully final update to the thread when we get home.

Dave........
Old 04-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #14
trickto322

Dave, how long did they have your coach? How long did it take to fix it?
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote