Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Dick Papaleo

Default Back wash grey and black tanks

Need some help, I have a water hook up for back flushing my holding tanks there is an in line chamber for holding some sort of cleaning agent ? Can some one tell me what they use can't seem to find anything that is sold to be used in this unit.

Thanks
Dick Papaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
rdlamb

Hi Dick:
I use a bromine tablet in mine. Bought it at a spa store, small peanut sized thing that lasts a long time. It brominates the tank, killing bacteria. Have used a chlorine tablet, used to make bleach, but it dissolves in a few seconds. The bromine lasts for months.

Have tried a dishwasher soap/rinse/jet dry tablet. It works well.

As an aside, there is a anti-siphon valve behind your washer/dryer area that keeps water from the holding tank flushing from siphoning back into the hose that provided the water to flush. Not a great engineering idea.
I removed my valves when my washer needed service because I didn't want water dripping in the coach if the anti-siphon activated.
Safe travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Dick Papaleo

Rick, thanks for the response, very helpful I had no clue I will try all of your suggestions. I knew someone knew what to do!

Thanks
Dick
Dick Papaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
rdlamb

My pleasure.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Chuck v

Rick (and all you other helpful owners,)

We bought our 2007 TM used, and it did not have very much in the way of original accessories still in it (was a bank repo...) I do not have the hose with an in-line chamber that is apparently used with the tank flush valve. I note that this valve input fitting is a reverse of the normal garden hose gender (male at the valve instead of female.) Did the coach come with a double female end hose like a washing machine? As often said elsewhere in this forum, the documentation that comes from GS is less than helpful on small details like this.

If I am missing something for this function that is specific to the GS coaches, how/where do I find one to purchase?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information you may have...particularly the procedure/sequence for using the flush valve. Nothing is mentioned in the literature that I got with the coach, nor is there anything overly helpful on the GS website in the 'generic' manual PDF available there that mentions the optional "kit" but does not show an illustration.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
RayChez1

When I bought my coach new it come with some kind of tablets from the factory for that particular back wash. I used some of the tablets and I knew it was some kind of disinfectant but I never got a name of the product. Maybe if I was to go and read some of literture that come with the coach it probably would tell me what kind of capsules they were. I just flush both tanks when we dump and are getting ready to leave the preserve. I use Happy camper in the tanks and it keeps them pretty clean and my sensors stay clean and give a good reading every time. Not only that but it also kills all the odor of the waste.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
hyall

I didn't remove the vacuum breakers grey and black but changed them to brass type more postive and doesn't leak at start of flush or when turning it off hate to have it siphon back into drinking water or hose=one of the important things that I did I hook the drain from WM and used a ferco rubber connector 1 1/2 x1 inch reconnected so no more sewer gases escaping when traveling
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Chuck v

Well, I used the flush valves on the tanks when I did a final dump before putting the coach into the rented storage building. Just used a short hose from a washing machine fill hookup, as I do not have the part that came originally with the coach that accepts the 'tablets' as noted above. Easy enough to do the flushing, and by using an accessory clear section of tubing on the waste fitting before putting the corrugated hose on I was able to see when the flush water added through the valve was running clear out of the waste fitting.

It still did not improve the tank level reading accuracy any -- gray tank shows one lit and black tank shows 3 out of four lit. Guess I will just have to look into a SeeLevel II monitor or similar...hate to spend that much or get that involved in modifications to just know what should be a standard informational function of a coach of this category. For now, I will just use the coach for short trips, but as we contemplate longer excursions an accurate and reliable level reading gets more important.

For those of you that spend many days in your rig between moves to another park, etc do you use the flush valves each time you drain the tanks? Do you drain on a time of use/number of occupants basis rather than trust the level lights in the panel?? TIA for any insights...

Chuck

Old 12-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
hyall

check this out for the black tank they're great http://www.horstmiracleprobes.com/
Old 12-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Chuck v

Thanks Hyall !! I will definitely look into this product.

By the way, how do you like the CR-V as a toad? We now have two Subaru wagons (one Forester and one Legacy...) that have been very good drivers, but they can't be flat towed so one or both of them will need to be replaced with a tow friendly equivalent. I want to stay with an AWD as the wife doesn't feel comfortable messing with chains, etc for the very occasional snow we get here.

Chuck

Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
Fl Mike

[
It still did not improve the tank level reading accuracy any -- gray tank shows one lit and black tank shows 3 out of four lit. Guess I will just have to look into a SeeLevel II monitor or similar...hate to spend that much or get that involved in modifications to just know what should be a standard informational function of a coach of this category. Chuck[/quote]

Before you spend a lot of money on a new system try the ice cube trick. Put in enough water to fill the tank about 1/3 way then put in 10# or so of ice cubes through the tiolet. Drive for an hour or so with stops, starts, turns, bumpy roads, etc. Drain the tank. The ice will knock off stuff that has stuck to the walls of the tank....

Works well for me....
Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
hyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v
Thanks Hyall !! I will definitely look into this product.

By the way, how do you like the CR-V as a toad? We now have two Subaru wagons (one Forester and one Legacy...) that have been very good drivers, but they can't be flat towed so one or both of them will need to be replaced with a tow friendly equivalent. I want to stay with an AWD as the wife doesn't feel comfortable messing with chains, etc for the very occasional snow we get here.

Chuck
I had a Odyssey before now CR-v both excellent four down vehicle great for towing