Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
univmd

Default 08 Tourmaster T40C: boondocked first time ever

I boondocked for the first time ever in Shenandoah National Park Loft Mountain Campground. Here are some observations:

Accessing Skyline Drive via Rt. 33 was relatively easy for a big rig, not too steep and not too curvy
Super large level campsites, what a surprise
Campground had sewer dump and potable water, no hookups
Campground limits generator use to 5 hours a day
Inverter was able to keep my fridge running overnight with no problems, which only used 1 or 2 bars out of 14 battery bars on remote Inverter display!

Alas, my Intellitec EMS still thinks I have "30amps" instead of a "generator" whenever I turn on my generator. The "30amp" lights up instead of "GenSet" and so the EMS limits me to 30amps. Thus I was unable to heat my water using electric, kept getting shed by the EMS. (However the EMS does allow me to run all 3 airconditioners, how is this possible?). I removed the EMS cover plate under the fridge, and found that the EMS is not receiving a 12V signal from the generator when the generator is on, although the wire is there and connected to the EMS. Where is the other end of this wire, supposedly it comes from the hour meter of the generator, where is that? Experiences, thoughts, advice?

With warm regards, James
Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
GO BLUE

I have on occasion got to use all three a/c s when on gen and not calling for any other use I E invertor fridge microwave etc.....the breaker on my gen is 35 amps therefore I dont expect to get 50 amps unless i'm on shorepower........Jim K
Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
rdlamb

Strangely, the breaker on the generator is a X2, which means you have two separate lines, each with 35 amps.

Your A/C's are on one line, and as far as I can tell they are the only things on that line. The rest of the coach are on the other 35 amp breaker.

Since there is only one switch, if either of the lines exceeds 35 amps, the breaker "breaks" both incoming lines.

You will have to ask the engineer who designed the system why there are not 2 separate switches wherein one will trip, and the other continue supplying its 35 amps of energy.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote