Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Damaged side of motor home

I hit a pipe at the gas station and it damaged the side of the motor home. It has been in the repair shop for three weeks now and the dealer says he is having trouble getting the panels and door from Gulf Stream. It damaged the panel right above the step, the door that holds and hides the water heater and the panel above the rear wheels. Dealer is telling me that the Aluminum panel that hides and holds the water heater will have to be made by GulfStream. I am wondering how long it takes a manufacturer to make one of these doors. I have already had to cancel two camping reservations and have a couple more coming up in December. Have any or the rest of you had this problem of not being able to get the parts. It is a 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager, triple slide.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Arthur Hayes

Default Re: Damaged side of motor home

About 5 years ago I damaged a door in Florida. Called Gulf Stream and they suggested I contact Master Tech in Indiana. www.mastertechrvservice.com . I did and I went there and had it replaced and painted, it took about a week. Not cheap but they are very good.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Arthur Hayes

Darby, I just checked the link and it has changed to http://mastertechrv.com/
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
darbyjudy

Well here is the update on my damaged 2004 SunVoyager. I have taken the MH to Harborson RV in Holiday, Fl. It was taken in on Nov 1 and as of right now nothing has been done other than ordering the necessary repair panels from GulfStream. Gulfstream is the hold up, I talked to the factory and I understand that an outside supplier manufactures the Panels . I am just glad did not happen when on vacation, I guess all you could do would be leave it and go home and return later for the MH. So guys & Gals lets just hope you don't have an accident. It makes no sense to me that there is no parts available for a 2004 MH
I talked to factory and they told me they were supposed to get the panels on Dec 16, then they have to be shipped to Harborson. So looks like no camping for me until first of the year. I have already cancelled three reservations. I guess I will be extra careful from now on. Can't blame anyone except my self.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
03heritagerider

Last December we sustained some damage. Fortunately, it was nothing that would prevent the coach from being driven. It was the first month of a four month trip, so I called the insurance company to initiate the claim and asked if it was possible to delay the adjustment and repair process until we got home. They said it was no problem. They gave me a claim number and said to call back when we were ready.

When we returned home in April, the adjuster came out and got the ball rolling. It did take about 8 weeks for the body work and paint to be done and most of that time was waiting for a windshield (the first one didn't fit), but I was in no hurry.

Just a thought: I don't know if your rig was driveable with the damage, but if it was, perhaps you could have waited until the part(s) were in to take it into the shop and not cancelled your trips.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
darbyjudy

No my motor was not usable, the water heater was ready to fall out of the compartment it was in. I suppose that i could have figured out some way to use some straps and hold it in place but the heater was unusable. the propane supply copper pipe to the heater was broken off and I had to close the main valve to the propane tank. I was just lucky there was no fire.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
David Bott

'It makes no sense to me that there is no parts available for a 2004 MH"

Hummm...Welcome to the world of MH. 2004 might as well be a 2008 or 09 Tour Master or any other Class A they made. Their are NO PARTS stocked and anything that is needed, needs to be made. And then you have the issue that you hope the company that made part X is still around. I greatly fear body damage...A side door is one thing, but try getting a front or back cap for example.

I second MasterTech...If a part can not be found, they usually can find a way to make things happen. I have seen them put a front end on a coach made for from another as you could not find the end. (The front fiberglass look of the coach)

You some times are getting trying to locate an RV Junk Yard to find things.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
darbyjudy

Yea, got the Motor Home back today and it looks great. Gulf Stream came through with the new parts needed to make the repair. Harborsen RV did a good job on the repair, can't even tell it has been damaged. Now I can leave on Tuesday for a week at Rainbow Springs State Park. Looks like the weather is going to be good .I am so Happy i could almost Pee
Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
gsadmin

always great hearing good news come out of a bad situation. Whenever I start reading a thread like this, I cringe as I scroll hoping for the best outcome...and you seem to have had one.

Happy motoring!
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
darbyjudy

We just got home today after being out for 7 days in the motor home, all worked all right except the control board for the front AC went bad and compressor continued to run until I tripped the breaker. I removed the board from the AC. then it got cold and guess what the furnace would not work, I guess it must get its low voltage through the AC control board. Well I just got through ordering one so I am hoping this will make it work. Seems to always be something.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
RayChez1

Yea, that is great news that Gulf Stream come through with the parts. And am also glad that the body shop done a great job. Now be careful when you fuel up, those posts just don't flex very well. I remember in 2005 I was driving out of a friends property in Roque River, Oregon and I started to turn before the tailend cleared the gate. I turned to get on the main road only to look back through the mirror and see a post about the size of a railroad tie fly out. I had put a twelve in gouge close to the rear side of the coach. Right there I found out how well the Scenic Cruiser was built because by all rights it should have pulled the rear end cap off. When I got back to California I took it to my favorite body shop and they done a fantastic job. Can't even tell it had that gouge on it. So when I read your post, it brought back some flash back to what happened to me.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote