Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
seamood

Default Leak in storage compartment

We have a 2005 Sun Voyager that has a leak in a storage compartment underneath the kitchen slide. On the top of the compartment there is a black plate with screws and it seems water is coming from the plate whenever it rains. We aren't sure what the plate is for and haven't taken it off to look at it. Has anyone had this problem or can help us in identifying what's causing the leak? We just got the RV 2 months ago and are newbies at this! Thanks.
Carla
seamood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
earljan34

Seamood welcome to the forum. I too have a 05 only my leak is on the drivers side in the front where the 12v electric is on another post someone said there was not enough foam sealer on top of the compartment I have not been under there yet but leak is so bad I drilled a small hole in the floor to let the water out as it would get to the top of the bottom door seal, We are expecting heavy rain tonight so I put a pan in where I think it's leaking I will let you know if I find the leak and where it's coming from.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
RJ82much

I'm the one that had that leak in my front, driver's side compartment. It was successfully repaired by the dealership. They said it was "inadequate foam", & foamed the crap out of it... The leak stopped for a year now.

Off 'n on we've had water get in other compartment, but not regularly. At my factory tour, the guide made the claim that a pressure test is performed at the factory to eliminate leaks.... guess they missed mine, Earl's, & now yours .. Ha Ha Ha.

Seriously, take it to your dealers (if it was purchased thru a dealer) & have them correct it. If you bought privately, you're on your own to look all around the inside, upper part of the compartment box. I was also warned by the factory, that the compartment door seals must be compressed for the seals to work. I have to actually press my leg against my doors to get them to latch, after the factory adjustment. Take a close look at your door seals.

Let us know what you find. Thanks

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
darbyjudy

Default Compartment leak

I have a 2004 that had a compartment leak. I thought it was the door seal and worked with it but it didn't help. I then found out that the inside top of the compartment is not one piece. It is made up of two peices. The factory foams the top of the compartments but did a poor job on mine. Since I was out of warrenty I went to Loews and bought a couple of cans of foam. Had a heck of a job getting too the top of the compartment but after two tries now have the leak stopped. Once again it is poor design by the factory.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Tundrasport

Yep...working on the third time having this properly repaired under warrenty. This will be repair trip 8 or 9...I have lost count
Old 08-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #6

Default Leak in storage compartment

Is the foam just sprayed on top of the compartment to seal it?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
darbyjudy

Default Foam

Yes the foam is just sprayed over the top to seal it. I went to Home Depot and bought several cans of foam and sprayed it over the top and corrected my leak. I had a time getting in to where to spray it though.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #8

I'll try that for sure. I have had the dealer try to fix it twice to no avail, and now they dropped Gulfstream. (I wonder why?) LOL
Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
darbyjudy

Default Why did they make them that way

I had a rd time figuring out where the water was coming in. I never dreamed that it would be through the top. I thought the top would be a solid welded piece of medal but it is just some type of fiber board.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #10
holmesaw

I have also had this problem on the passenger side front compartment.
It does not happen when the coach is parked, just when going over
the road.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:17 AM   #11
earljan34

First of all welcome to the forum!
As for the leak look behind the mud flap on the front wheel, See if there is any foam on the seams, The foam plus screws hold the flap in place, I had that problem too but this fix took care of it don't be afraid to spray the foam in there as this is also GSs approach to the repair.

Hope this helps you!!

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
holmesaw

Checked behind the mudflap and there seems to be plenty of foam
around all the edges. I don't think that is the problem.
It must be coming in around the door seal, but that looks ok also.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
quikduk

I have found out the following re: the basement compartment "construction" on our '98 DP.

The compartment "walls" near or adjacent to the doors are usually made out of "pieces" of sheetmetal. These are not stitch welded together nor are they backed by anything but air. The connection of these panels behind/to the areas on the sides, top and bottom is minimal at best.

I will have to take some remaining before and after shots but here is what I have done so far.

First, I tore off all "foam" rubber or sealant at the vertical edges. I then taped the front and foamed the rear with self expanding foam. Sometimes I had to tape the rear and foam fdrom the front but the final product is sealed with an adhesive quality.

Second, I back cut the foam at the front to leave a little reveal. I then filled this with 100% silicone and painted it (when dry) with matching flat black paint.

Third, in some cases, I has to use pop rivets (like the factory) to secure parts of the body fiberglass/fender skirts/edges to the aluminum tube sub-frame. I then filled these with silicone and will match once I procure the matching paint.

Where the sheetmetal panels "misses" one another, I will be plug welding some steel flat stock behind and then fully stitch welding the seams, then seal and paint as usual.

OAN, GS's QC doesn't deserve any kind words (being PC here).