Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
familyof5

Default Advice please! 1992 28GS purchase

Hi,
We're on the lookout for a used class C for our family of 5. We have come across a 1992 28 foot GS Conquest with quad bunks. We're a little worried about the year but it seems in good shape. Any advice on how these "older models" hold up? Thanks for any input you have!
familyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
pchicky

There is a wealth of advice I'm sure the GS Owners could give you on this purchase decision. First, I'd have to ask if you're mechanically inclined because with a unit this age, you'll have some things that will come up, and maintenance will be key. If you're not mechanically inclined, as long as you get a really good deal and can afford for somebody else to work on it, then go for it. Have a mechanic go through the powertrain if you're not familiar with such things.

Prior maintenance and care are really critical on an older unit. Does the prior owner have records of repairs? Things like hoses belts, cooling system maintenance, tranny maintenance and of course oil changes are critical throughout the life. Even with low miles, continual maintenance is very important.

Also, with a unit this age, be prepared to replace items in the coach section that may go bad like water heaters, refrigerators, etc. These are not really hard to replace for a do-it-yourself person, but the cost of these devices can be high....just factor that into the purchase price

Tires - find out when they were replaced, irrespective of the tread life. These things age and dry rot with age and believe me, it's no fun having one blow out and you're on the side of the road waiting for AAA to come fix it.

Last, check the coach thoroughly for any water leaks through the roof, dry rot, particularly in flooring areas, and leaks from appliances. These fixes can cost a bunch.

There could be a bunch of other things I could talk about, but this covers the basics.

I'm not trying to scare you away from an older coach, it may be in great shape, with great maintenance, for a great price. If that is the case, and you don't mind a few maintenance and repair issues over time, then go for it.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
woodworker414

familyof5, we have always bought used, with very good results, our current MH, a C, we stumble on a real fine. I was once told a long time ago, when looking at used rvs, let your nose be your guide, stick your head in every cabinet, compartment, storage under the bed, under the couch, if it smells wet, check very closely. Our previous rv, was a large TC, we bought it away from our home area, it was raining, the windows were open, water standing on the countertop, dampness everywhere, but there was not any odor in any cabinet, or storage compartment. We traded, knowing full well that I had a little work ahead of me. I washed the TC very carefully, and found a spot that was leaking, I repaired it. Which meant that I had to remove some of the siding, replace rotten wood, replace the paneling inside, reinsulate, put the siding back and caulk carefully, I am a retired carpenter, so this was no biggey for me. The TC was a dry TC, no leaks. I did the trick with the leaf blower and smoke machine, no leaks. As was mentioned in the previous post, if you are handy you could save a ton of money. You have to be the judge of your skills. When we bought the current MH, the furnace did not work, so I was able to get a price reduction, to cover the cost of replacing the furnace. I thought that the problem was probably just a critter settting up housekeeping in the burner tube. Yep, that was the problem, I found out after I pull the furnace to check, a quick cleaning with a bottle brush, a blast of compressed air, and its back in business. Saved a ton of money.
Good luck on your hunt.
Bill