Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Nanaeve

Default 12V to Tailer Plug

Upon our arrival in Arizona, we found our Toad (06 Jeep Liberty)wouldn't start. Dead Battery. I had wired it to have 12V off the Endura trailer plug and did some elementary troubleshooting and found I now longer had 12v in the plug. Anyone know where this 12V came from? I'm leaning to the Power Distribution box under the hood but have no real idea. All my other vehicles have 12v in the plug and this did. Thanks for any help, Steve.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
RayChez1

Nanaeve, I just can't see how you didn't notice the slide out seals missing when you bought the motorhome new? Didn't you see like maybe some light coming in where the seals were suppose to be?
It is hard to believe that they were completely missing. Sorry!

My response was to the signature where he states the slide seals were missing.
Now as to why the battery is going dead on your toad, it is because you probably don't have diodes to prevent a back flow of current off the toad battery.
Also if your battery on your toad is already on its way out, it will not take the drain from a brake buddy even if you have everything turned off.
I had a similar situation on my Honda Pilot. So I gave it a load test and it showed that the battery was already going out. So I bought a new battery and no more problems with the battery going dead. So the little bit of drain from my brake buddy was enough on long trips to drain the toad battery.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
pchicky

Hey RayChez....I was pulling a Honda Pilot behind my unit and running a 12V constant power source to the Pilot's battery to keep it charged during trips. I had tied into the constant power source on the RV plug in, with a separate connector for the Pilot that I plug in with a 2 pin connector. It's worked like a charm. I use the same setup for the Jeep Wrangler I now tow (although it doesn't need a constant power source since the key in the first notch isn't powering anything on the Jeep).

Not sure where the power source originates on the trailer connector on your rig....have you checked all fuses to make sure nothing's blown? You could also run a separate line from your coach battery (with an inline fuse of course near the battery) to get around this problem you're having. Just a thought. It would be easier (I would guess) than having to trace a wire in a wiring harness all the way back upstream....that doesn't sound like too much fun.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
B44D

Did you have 12v power at the plug before you went dead? There is a post here somewhere that said the 12v wire is not connected from the factory. You have to wire it in yourself.
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
pchicky

Mine was connected with power from the factory, so maybe I was lucky. I just had to go into the back of the plug and run a separate 2 prong harness for the tow vehicle power.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Nanaeve

Default 12V to Tailer Plug

I had 12V to the plug, at approx 130 position in the connector, and have not found any fuses in the power distribution box on the firewall to be blown. I have made two trips to International for problems that were connection/connector related, the last being it wouldn't start and they found 2 failed connectors that they butt-spliced together on the 12v line from the batteries to the starter. International said that failed connectors are common and to always check them first. I'm attempting to get a wiring schematic from them and will post it if I get it. I've not given up on it, just have been side tracked with other projects.
The missing seals were found by the repair facility that GS picked-up and sent my unit to after 3 local dealers said that the slides would have to come out and they didn't have the facilities to do the repairs. I'm quoting the repair facility, all I know is that the carpets were soaked on the drive home from SoCal where we purchased it to our home in NorCal. The facility there found missing seals and repaired it and they have worked like they should ever since. I cannot say enough about J&L RV as they kept me informed about what they found, how they were gong to fix it and when they would be done, all things the last two facilities that looked at it failed to do. Thats possibly why there are no longer any GS Dealers in NorCal.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
eldercaddy

Default Re: 12V to Tailer Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaeve
Upon our arrival in Arizona rv rentals, we found our Toad (06 Jeep Liberty)wouldn't start. Dead Battery. I had wired it to have 12V off the Endura trailer plug and did some elementary troubleshooting and found I now longer had 12v in the plug. Anyone know where this 12V came from? I'm leaning to the Power Distribution box under the hood but have no real idea. All my other vehicles have 12v in the plug and this did. Thanks for any help, Steve.
Hey man. I am selling 12v. It is new. I have own shop selling that 12v or anything that related to it. Shoot me PM if interested.
eldercaddy is offline   Reply With Quote