Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
lbdils

Send a message via ICQ to lbdils Send a message via AIM to lbdils Send a message via MSN to lbdils Send a message via Yahoo to lbdils
Default Getting oil in a Sunvoyager SE

Has anyone figured out a "neat" method of putting oil in a Sunvoyager SE. My oil filler spout is so far up under the dash that I can't get a qt. bottle in there without spilling. I have tried a couple of pumps with no luck.
lbdils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Welcome to the Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum!

I am sure that one of the other Sunvoyager owners has come up with a solution and they will post it here.

Look forward to reading more of your posts and being an active member of our forum.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
djqualls

There is a pump that screws into quart oil bottles that will pump the oil out. It is in the marine section of most Walmart stores and it is used to fill the lower units of outboard motors. You can romove the fitting for the motor but then have a pump with the correct threads to attach to your oil.

Here is a link to West Marines site that sells the unit.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

Hope this helps.....
Old 09-13-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
dbmotors

LOL, I just changed my oil last week, and my heart rate has just slowed down from doing it. They put that filler so high up, right under my defroster ducting! I filled my by transferring oil to a small cup, and dumping the cup of oil in. Took forever!

I'll have to check out that pump suggestion. Something...ANYTHING...has to be better!

If you think it is hard to get a quart container up there, try a gallon!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

I was searching and came up with this 12v pump.

It is used to remove the oil from the crankcase, but one could also use it to put oil into the oil fill. It's cost is $19.99 so it is reasonable and fast.

Check it out: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6124_200136124

Ron
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
gsadmin

maybe one could use a ladder to put the gallon jug higher than the filler and use one of those pump syphons that I use for kerosene cans into my heaters.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
dbmotors

You know, it is ridiculous that we are even having this discussion. If I can't dump oil into the oil fill area, it is clearly not designed right. You shouldn't have to buy a special pump to overcome a design flaw, but I suppose that is what comes down to.

That 12v pump looks like the ticket. Thanks for the link
Old 09-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmotors
You know, it is ridiculous that we are even having this discussion. If I can't dump oil into the oil fill area, it is clearly not designed right. You shouldn't have to buy a special pump to overcome a design flaw, but I suppose that is what comes down to.

That 12v pump looks like the ticket. Thanks for the link
I have to agree with you that it is not designed correctly if one can't even get a quart to pour into the filler. But to engineers it looks good on paper, in the field is where things must be done to either correct their mistakes or find a way to work around them, sad but true.

Our diesel I can pour a quart in with no problem, but trying to pour from a gallon container requires a funnel plus move hands than I have.
Pouring 22 quarts into the engine during an oil change is a pain.

So I was thinking of ordering that 12 volt pump also and give it a try.

Ron
Old 09-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
lbdils

Send a message via ICQ to lbdils Send a message via AIM to lbdils Send a message via MSN to lbdils Send a message via Yahoo to lbdils
Default Adding oil to Sunvoyaer SE

OK, the oil pump idea from West marine sounds good, but...what if you are using Castrol Synthetic which has a wider scew cap than standard oil qts. I'm still screwed on this.
My Dad was a service manager for a GM dealer for 45 years and he used to curse auto engineers.
lbdils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Adding oil to Sunvoyaer SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdils
OK, the oil pump idea from West marine sounds good, but...what if you are using Castrol Synthetic which has a wider scew cap than standard oil qts. I'm still screwed on this.
My Dad was a service manager for a GM dealer for 45 years and he used to curse auto engineers.
The 12 volt pump would work since it has a tube that goes into the bottle and the cap is removed.

Ron
Old 09-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
djqualls

Default Re: Adding oil to Sunvoyaer SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdils
Well its not a perfect world.....

I do think it might not be as messy as having a pump and hoses...although I may not understand the procedure on the pump.

Good Luck

Dave.........
Old 09-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
davmac

Ron,

Could you given a descriptive explaination of the pump?

The web picture isn't clear on what tubes are connected where and what lengths the tubes reach. I have a 1999 SVBus where the oil fill is horizontal and also needs a tube to fill. Using a funnel/tube was a mess and the pump sounds like a solution to this problem.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-16-2006, 10:26 PM   #13
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmac
Ron,

Could you given a descriptive explaination of the pump?

The web picture isn't clear on what tubes are connected where and what lengths the tubes reach. I have a 1999 SVBus where the oil fill is horizontal and also needs a tube to fill. Using a funnel/tube was a mess and the pump sounds like a solution to this problem.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
I don't have one, yet, but the way I understand the description you get two different suction hoses. One of these connect to the pump and you place in the container that you want to suck the oil out of. Permanently mounted on the pump (see picture at link above post) is the discharge pipe that you place into where you want the oil to go, in our case in our discussion, we are talking about the oil filler. Turn the pump on and it will pump the oil out of the container and into the oil filler for the engine.

The suction hose would probably have to be shortened for the application we are discussing about using it for.

Like I said, this is my understanding of the description and applying it to what we want to do is put oil into the engine, not out of it.

Ron
Old 01-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
I was searching and came up with this 12v pump.

It is used to remove the oil from the crankcase, but one could also use it to put oil into the oil fill. It's cost is $19.99 so it is reasonable and fast.

Check it out: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6124_200136124

Ron
Since we are spenting the winter in Kissimmee, Florida and there is a Northern Tool store just about 20 miles from us on Sand Lake Road across from Florida Mall, yesterday I decided to drive there and check out the pump that I put the link to in a previous post.

Well, I purchased one and it sure looks like it will be just the thing to pump the oil into the oil fill pipe on any of the engines with limited access making it very hard to pour into.

Although I have plenty of room to pour the oil in with a funnel, this pump will make it much easier, just stick the intake hose into the gallon container and output hose into the oil fill pipe, turn on the switch and in it goes.

Ron