Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Kurlon

Default 2007 Endura 6318

After hunting for a couple years, I just drove home a 2007 Endura 6318. Prior owners kept it in beautiful shape, but I do have a few things I need to figure out:

1) Shudder/vibration at 1500 to 2500 RPM, rate changes with RPM, intensity increases with throttle. Get it to kick down and it pulls cleanly. I'm thinking misfire but will take it to a shop for a proper diag.

2) Switch above the mirror controls, thought heated mirrors but the owner doesn't recall it HAVING heated mirrors. When he replaced the driver side mirror he didn't recall there being any wires.

3) The porch light, and light in the step well, what turns them on? There is a 'porch step light' labeled switch on the entry way control strip but doesn't seem to do anything.

4) Where is the fuse for the upper, switched acc outlet on the dash, above the cigarette lighter?
Kurlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Restorium

These rigs are all different but I may have some clues;

Switch above mirror controls...hmmm...windshield fan switch?

My porch light switch is right on the light housing.

My porch step light is down underneath and is amber.

Dash fuses are down by the drivers left foot.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
Kurlon

Hrmm, no switch on my porch light housing, guess I'll pull the meter out and start chasing things tomorrow. I assume there isn't a wiring diagram floating around for these rigs? No cabinet lights working either... And what's that light green wire that's been cut under the bench seat where the converter/transfer switch live? Such fun mysteries... kinda.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Kurlon

Ok, looks like a lot of what I'm chasing is dead bulbs, so that's nice.

Code reader says 'Random cylinder misfire, Cylinder #4 misfire' so that's what I'll be chasing next I guess. I can find coil packs from $270 for 10 to $700 for 10 until I hit up Amazon at which point I get a listing for $45... for a 10 pack?!
Old 08-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Lltotman

On my -06-6331 theirs a group of switches by the coach enterance door. One switch controls porch/internal step lights, one switch controls steps on/off. This also controls the amber lamp under the steps. N
Not knowing the cab style you have. Mines a Kodiac. Heated miror switch is on the right dash .
Lltotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Kurlon

All lights working save for the compartment lights, haven't figured out how those bulbs come out. I suspect they're wedge base but don't want to get too aggressive taking them apart yet. The prior owner had ALL the manuals in a nice binder so I was able to figure out the porch step modes of operation, along with the associated lights and it's all good.

Haven't chased the mirror switch but will break out my laser thermometer tonight to see if they are indeed heated mirrors. Fuse 32 sorted my accessory socket. Rig has an appointment for a full service on the motor / transmission, so those issues will be going away soon. That leaves me the following items to chase right now:

1) Ramp door was rebuilt, new door isn't a foam core, it's all plywood now. As a result it's MUCH heavier. It's got four assist springs in the hinge, looks like there is room for two more, how much of a PITA is it to add springs?

2) Same ramp door, the bar locks used to have little press in bumpers so it wasn't metal on metal when you closed the door. The upper bumpers have long since wandered off, so there isn't full preload on it to seal it. Anyone know where to get more of those bumpers, or a suggested replacement?
Old 08-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
Kurlon

Ok, GS, what were you thinking? The primary stereo for the RV is the van head unit, ok. It's a bit odd having to put the van ignition into ACC to get music but whatever. Now, not setting the radio up to run off the house battery, or the power system so it'll charge the van battery when there is 110v available (shore or generator) when you've forced use of the van radio, that is crazy.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
Ok, GS, what were you thinking? The primary stereo for the RV is the van head unit, ok. It's a bit odd having to put the van ignition into ACC to get music but whatever. Now, not setting the radio up to run off the house battery, or the power system so it'll charge the van battery when there is 110v available (shore or generator) when you've forced use of the van radio, that is crazy.
I agree, that set up lacks foresight. I switched my radio over and also provided a connection between batteries.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
Kurlon

How much over-capacity does the converter have? Will 15A draw from an AMP-L-Start be too much for it?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
Restorium

Depends on your batteries.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
Kurlon

Single 750CCA 'deep cycle marine' batt on the house side at the moment. Van batt is a 650CCA unit.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
Sudsy

Quote:
Ok, looks like a lot of what I'm chasing is dead bulbs, so that's nice.

Code reader says 'Random cylinder misfire, Cylinder #4 misfire' so that's what I'll be chasing next I guess. I can find coil packs from $270 for 10 to $700 for 10 until I hit up Amazon at which point I get a listing for $45... for a 10 pack?!

Try just changing the plug wires first. They are only about a foot long each. On my Sun Voyager I can turn the wheels all the way right and change the right side from the wheel well. Left is the same. Some folks specify the wires. I used a set from NAPA. I think I could do the plugs from the wheel well too.

Sudsy
Old 08-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #13
Restorium

I would concentrate just on #4 first. Wire, plug, coil on #4. One at a time. Get rid of the code.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
Sudsy

Default Hi Failurre Items

I have read a lot about the Chevy 8.1 V8. The ignition failures are most commonly the wires. Next in line are the plugs. I don't much mention of changing coils and I would never buy a 10 pack for an 8 cylinder motor.

So.

Pull the #4 plug and look at it. It may or may not show problem. You could swap the #3 and #4 plugs and wires and see if the problem follows. Easiest would be to swap the plug wires between the cylinders.

THESE ARE NOT AT ALL LIKE THE FORD V10 COILS

Given the age and low mileage I suspect a set of wires will do it.

Sudsy
Old 08-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Sudsy

Quote:

Mine has a rocker switch with a musical note on it. If you turn it on the radio works. Look for one of those.

Sudsy
Old 08-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #16
Sudsy

[QUOTE=Kurlon;25800]All lights working save for the compartment lights, haven't figured out how those bulbs come out. I suspect they're wedge base but don't want to get too aggressive taking them apart yet. The prior owner had ALL the manuals in a nice binder so I was able to figure out the porch step modes of operation, along with the associated lights and it's all good.

Haven't chased the mirror switch but will break out my laser thermometer tonight to see if they are indeed heated mirrors. Fuse 32 sorted my accessory socket. Rig has an appointment for a full service on the motor / transmission, so those issues will be going away soon. That leaves me the following items to chase right now:

I have a Master Compartment Light switch right inside the door where the step switch is.

Inside the door. All switches down = Normal operation. I have 4 switches.

Porch Light, Entrance light, Compartment lights, Auto steps.

Sudsy
Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 AM   #17
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I have read a lot about the Chevy 8.1 V8. The ignition failures are most commonly the wires. Next in line are the plugs. I don't much mention of changing coils and I would never buy a 10 pack for an 8 cylinder motor.

So.

Pull the #4 plug and look at it. It may or may not show problem. You could swap the #3 and #4 plugs and wires and see if the problem follows. Easiest would be to swap the plug wires between the cylinders.

THESE ARE NOT AT ALL LIKE THE FORD V10 COILS

Given the age and low mileage I suspect a set of wires will do it.

Sudsy
He was lucky enough to get the code. A lot of the time you just have a random miss with no code. So I would delicately just work on 4 and see if the code goes away. Not messing with any other cylinder. No swapping around. That's the best way to get this taken care of without chasing your tail because you started swapping more things out than you had to.

Why the Ford coil comment? You think I only work on Fords? I was actually using what I learned on a Cadillac to give advice here.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #18
Restorium

Does it use any oil between changes?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #19
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
He was lucky enough to get the code. A lot of the time you just have a random miss with no code. So I would delicately just work on 4 and see if the code goes away. Not messing with any other cylinder. No swapping around. That's the best way to get this taken care of without chasing your tail because you started swapping more things out than you had to.

Why the Ford coil comment? You think I only work on Fords? I was actually using what I learned on a Cadillac to give advice here.

The Ford Coil comment came from the OP seeing 10 packs for $***.

But I'll tell you I am really getting tired of beating heads with you on everything I respond to. So count me out.I will let you go ahead and confuse the folks.

Sudsy
Old 08-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #20
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
The Ford Coil comment came from the OP seeing 10 packs for $***.

But I'll tell you I am really getting tired of beating heads with you on everything I respond to. So count me out.I will let you go ahead and confuse the folks.

Sudsy
Beating heads? lol

This is how you get it done when there's more than on person giving advice.

How is telling someone to work carefully using the code confusing?