Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
FlyingFilly28

Default Exterior caulk on 2008 independence

I would like to reseal all the seams on my 2008 independence. I know you are not supposed to use household silicone sealants. All the ones I have tried have been difficult at best to use and the clear (which I need) are shiny, not at all like what was used originally. Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand or type of silicone I can use?
FlyingFilly28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Sudsy

Watch a couple YouTube videos about Dicor products. Dicor is a brand name and I know there are some videos out there about roof maintenance using their products. You are right that it's not good practice to use silicone sealers and such. If you are cleaning the roof or just a just chasing a leak all the items are covered. I just had the fiberglass roof and all the vents and pipes cleaned, scraped where needed and then resealed with Dicor Fiberglass Roof treatment. That and all seals around vents and AC units were then sealed with Dicor Self Leveling sealer. My roof looks brand new.

Sudsy
Old 08-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Frutza

X2 on the Dicor, been down the silicone route, it won't last and you'll be removing it, but, if it has to be clear you will be using silicone, now I usually use a product called Quad, its a Urathane based sealer like Dicor just not self leveling works better on vertical surfaces, and I can buy 3 tubes of Quad to 1 Dicor
Old 08-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
FlyingFilly28

Thanks Sudsy sorry I wasn't clear it is not the roof I have used Dicor and it works great on the roof.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
FlyingFilly28

Thanks Furtza, Quad is what I have used and to be honest I am not very good at it. It sure is unforgiving if you don't get it right the first time. From everything I have read that seems to be the stuff to use. I was hoping for a different answer but I guess I will just have to practice till I get better.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
AchyJake

I always have a jug of foam handwash handy when I'm doing any kind of sealing or caulking. A dap on your finger will allow you to push the caulking into a joint or smooth out the little imperfections that the caulking gun may leave. Just use enough for the caulking not to stick to your finger. It changed caulking for me . . Forever ! !
AchyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Sudsy

Good Eye Deer! Saves spit too!
Old 08-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Washington travler

I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Clear and self leveling do not put it on thick unless on a roof.
Washington travler is offline   Reply With Quote