Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
GStream40
Site Team

Default Preparing Home Base While Traveling

I was having a discussion with Bob(rj82much) and he thought it might be interesting to start a discussion on what the RVer's here on the forum do to prepare their home base while being gone to warmer climates in the winter months since we spent at least four months staying warm in Florida and leaving our home in Ohio to the cold winters.

Here is what we do and it has worked for us for the last five years with no problems:

In winter months, we just turn the thermostat down to 55, shut of the main water supply valve, pour anti-freeze down the drains
so in case in the furnace would fail the traps will not freeze. Put anti-freeze in the toilets for the same reason. Turn the water heater down to the lowest temp setting.

In the summer, we just shut off the water and raise the thermostat to about 85 for air conditioning to keep the humidity down because we have antiques in the home. We do this even if we are going to be gone for a week or two.

Then we drive away.

What do any of you do to prepare your home base for your absence?

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
earljan34

When we travel we definitely turn off the water! We came back from a trip 4 years ago to find 4" of water in the cellar the hot water tank had sprung a leak what a mess lucky for me there were no tools on the floor. We also turn the heat down in winter and leave the air on in summer, But we have a friend that check"s the house twice a day and we do the same for her when she is away. (she didn't check the cellar the time of the flood but always does so now)

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Earl,
Guess you learned the hard way to shut off the water supply valve.

It's great that you have someone close that can check your home for you. We have a neighbor that keeps an eye on the place for us also, but I only ask her to check it every week or so. She keeps an eye for the furnace and since she can see the outlet for the furnce, she just looks at it to see if there is a vapor coming out from it showing the furnace does come on every now and then.

Yep, it is nice to have a good neighbor to keep an eye on the home base when you are an RVer.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
RJ82much

I live in an area where people can't get to in the winter - 1/2 mile drive that would plug with feet of snow.

I have heard of programmable controls/alarms where perhaps a variety of sensors can be installed that would call (someone) if certain parameters are exceeded. Temperature too high or too low, loud noises, humidity, intrusion, etc. Does anyone have any experience along these lines?

I found an interesting online site of just what can be done with a camera:

http://mainecam.dyndns.org:50004/CgiSta ... Language=0

If you play around, you can see this owner can tell the air temperature at his remote Maine cabin. He can see the snow depth, look for tire or foot tracks. Also, if the bird feeder needs filling! Ha Ha Ha. I guess you can tell if the electric is off as well! (no picture)

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
coolchas11

Bob, sorry I can't give you any high tech experiences. At our house in VT we have a red light which goes on if the temp drops. Believe me it works! This past March our neighbor in VT called us in CT stating that the light was on and no heat with temp about -15. Got the furnace people out fast. Charlie
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
justlizz

When I go away at any time all I have to do is make sure the freezer is full of easy food and I have a cleaning Fairy come in on fridays I leave my 20yr old daughter at home so far it has worked well
lizz
Old 05-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlizz
When I go away at any time all I have to do is make sure the freezer is full of easy food and I have a cleaning Fairy come in on fridays I leave my 20yr old daughter at home so far it has worked well
lizz
Cleaning Fairy???????
Boy could I use one of those!!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
RJ82much

Timothy, in the US, you have to be careful what you ask for!

I would think that it would suffice to turn off the breaker to the well-pump, empty the water lines, anti-freeze the drains, turn the thermostat to the electric heat to minimum (or off), unplug all electronics (& especially phone modems), empty, unplug, & open the fridge door, lock the windows & doors & turn out the lights...

I'd guess an additional precaution would be an abundance of electric ultrasonic mouse repellers, plus empty the pantry of foods, canned or otherwise. Back to the phones, lightning strikes are more likely to enter your home via phone lines than electric lines (personal experience), I'd consider diconnecting the "network interface" outside of your home,,, unless of course, you depend on the phone for security & monitoring service. A computer can get blasted through the modem even if turned off.

Am I ready to go camping?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Timothy

[quote="RJ82much"]Timothy, in the US, you have to be careful what you ask for!

Bob, to clarify:

fair?y /ˈfɛəri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fair-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural fair?ies, adjective
?noun 1. (in folklore) one of a class of supernatural beings, generally conceived as having a diminutive human form and possessing magical powers with which they intervene in human affairs.

Hope this clears things up lol.........Tim
Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
RJ82much

Ah,,, I could also use one of them too. I need intervention in a lot of my affairs!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351