Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Journey

Default Rocking motion when leveling jacks are down

Hello's, greetings and introductions to all in viewing distance. Okay, we are new to all this. This is our first RV and we should have done it years ago, but that aside, I do have an annoying rocking motion when the leveling jacks are down. Yes, it could be a "user" error.

Our 2007 GS, was just in for a short punch list of warranty items and the dealer said there is nothing wrong with the jacks and "no", the rig should not rock when they are down. I have lowered them on concrete, blacktop and on double stacked 2x10's when on gravel or sandy surfaces. The rig rocks when anyone walks through it and we even feel the rocking motion with a light wind outside.

It's kinda like our days in boating when you learned to get your sea legs. It is annoying to have this motion when on solid ground. If it is a "user" error, what is the suggested sequence to set the jacks? I usually set the front jacks, then lower the rear jacks until at least one of them touches the ground. Using a carpenters level set on the floor, I adjust right rear or left rear to level, then adjust front to rear for level. I then check and adjust right rear and left rear for level again. The dealer says that the wheels should not lift off the ground, unless on a serious incline.

Specs on the RV: (6 weeks new)
2007 SunVoyager 38'8", new 3 zoned floor plan 8389, Diesel (Fred).
Cummins 300HP on a Freightliner chasis.
Jacks are Power Gear Hydralic with the standard dash panel. I really don't care for this panel but the dealer said it would be expensive to change it for one with lights that illuminate when level is acheived. Major rewiring envolved.

Going full time when the house sells ... OR ... if I win the Lotto. Let's hope the house sells SOON.

Glad to be here and a part of the GSOwners group.

PS to the moderator: Please reset, change, delete and reinstate my membership number. 666 is not one that I (or anyone would want). Thanks in advance.
Ron
Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

If you are verifying that all 4 jacks are down touching and you are level you should not be "rocking".

There might be a slight movement, but shouldn't be rocking. This is confusing if all jacks are touching with weight on them.

Perhaps someone with a SunVoyager can jump in and give some insight on what they think might be going on.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Arthur Hayes

One thing you did not mention, but I am sure it is in your routine, is lowering the air bags. Coach will rock if air bags are inflated when the jacks are down.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Journey

Good thought, Art. But the front engine deisels do not have air bags (not that I know of anyway). Someday, I'll grow up to a real deisel that pushes not pulls and has air suspension.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
chamberlain

Rocking will happen if the air bags are not deflated...It happened to me.

Another question. Just this weekend I had some hydraulic fluid come out of the fill/overflow cap of the pump when I let my jacks down. One jack had the rear tires off the ground by about 1" by the time I got the coach level. When leaving I couldn't fill the air bags before retracting the jacks as this one wheel was off the ground so I just retracted them all. Could the extra pressure/weight on the jack have cause the fluid to overflow some. It was a small amount but I'm just curious as to why this happened

Thx John
Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberlain
Rocking will happen if the air bags are not deflated...It happened to me.

Another question. Just this weekend I had some hydraulic fluid come out of the fill/overflow cap of the pump when I let my jacks down. One jack had the rear tires off the ground by about 1" by the time I got the coach level. When leaving I couldn't fill the air bags before retracting the jacks as this one wheel was off the ground so I just retracted them all. Could the extra pressure/weight on the jack have cause the fluid to overflow some. It was a small amount but I'm just curious as to why this happened

Thx John
John,
Journey does NOT have air bags on his front engine diesel. It has spring suspension.

The hydraulic fluid coming out of your tank vent could have been caused by by the amount of fluid rushing back into the tank when you raised the jacks. Possibly a bit of foam/air bubbles will cause this. Had it happen to our coach one time when I had the front jacks fully extented to level the coach. When I retracted them I noticed a little fluid leaked from the tank vent. It has never happened again.

Ron
Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
RJ82much

Ron (Journey),

I have good news/no news. Your membership ID is #973. You are listed at 666 in the "joined date" ascending list. Turn it around to descending & you have a different listing number. Show all members by location, email, number of posts will get you other list numbers. You are safely always known as #973. I didn't look to see who is the REAL #666 - don't want to start a trend! Ha Ha Ha

As for Rocking Motion, I have noticed the same on my Sun Voyager whenever I have the jacks down & extended quite a bit to get level, taking most of the ground contact off either a front or rear axle.

After seeing the jack equipment attachment during factory tour, I'd bet there is a bit of frame rail-web twist amplified by the length of jack extension, plus wobble of the jack piston to cylinder wall also.

I've solved the uncomfortable effect by placing blocks under the jack pads before leveling, to limit the extension. Also, by jamming boards under any tires that need to lose ground contact for level (overlift the wheel, insert board & lower)

Give it a try & let us know the results.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Journey

Thanks Bob,
Both for the membership listing clarification and your suggestion of blocking the wheels for more stability. I had thought of doing that with 12" lengths of 4x6 PT posts placed under the front wheels. The lot where we keep the rig full time has about a 3" slope between front and back wheels. I already have pads for under the jacks. I'm sure the combination of the two will help.

That's quite a catchy and descriptive phrase you have there ...
Overlift, Insert & Lower :P
Not to be confused with the well known "lifts and separates".

I'm sure we all can now visualize your remedy for the rocking boat syndrome. Sorry, I couldn't resist ....
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Overlift, Insert & Lower

I belive that is done in Hollywood according to Jay Leno.

Sorry, I couldn't resist either.

Ron
Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
RJ82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Overlift, Insert & Lower

You guys are cracking me up.... Each of your posts puts me in giggling fits... I'm afraid that I'll hurt myself the next time I level my coach.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

A word of caution when using the Overlift, Insert & Lower procedure on your RV. Make sure that you use your leveling system, don't try to do it by physically lifting the RV or you will get back injury and hurt yourself.

Also, Try to keep a striaght face and not smile or laugh while in middle of the procedure. :P

Ron
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #12
earljan34

Bob, Are we going to see your FAMOUS OVERLIFT INSERT AND LOWER in NH? or

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #13
Journey

Wow ... and to think that we decided to pass on this years rally. Our first opportunity to attend too. But GS quality control put a damper on our opinion of their products based on our first purchase. Quality control and experience issues, but that aside, darn, had I only known that Bob, would be demonstrating his famous Overlift, Insert & Lower manouver, I surely would have reconsidered. That is the type of thing that simply is not demonstrated in the owners manual

GStream40 (Ron), my doctor told me not to lift anything heavy, so the next time I have the opportunity to Overlift, Insert & Lower, I mean level my coach, I'll be sure to use the leveling system so as not to get back injury. I surely don't want to hurt myself as you mentioned. Thanks for the cautionary suggestion.

Bob .... be careful with the giggling fits.
As GStream40 says ... it is extremely important to keep a straight face and do not smile or laugh while in middle of the procedure ... even the best of men have been known to loose hydralic pressure when laughed at while attempting the most basic of manouvers ... ROFLMAO !!! Just ask Bob Dole.

You guys are my kinda people ... great sense of humor and a million laughs. Be carefull out there and don't hurt yourselves. The
Overlift, Insert & Lower, can be very effective and mutually rewarding for both partners. What I used to do all day, now takes me all day to do ... LOL
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #14
RJ82much

Well, lots of material for discussion....

I can picture (but try to erase from my mind) the image that would need appear in the owner's manual to fully describe the "Overlift, Insert & Lower" operation. On the other hand, the less well known, but wildly imagined "lifts and separates" maneuver referred to (by others) has potential in a properly illustrated owner's manual.

...and Earl, on the assumption that the NH sites are level, I probably won't be bending over for adjustment & no heroic measures should be required. I was at a muddy campsite last year where my unit sank to the axle, requiring the resort's bucket loader for extraction. A soon-to-be-famous Tug, slip & pull was required. Not fun though, plus it left a heck of a tire track, as you can well imagine.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
GStream40
Site Team

"Tug, slip & pull "

Oh no, not another one of your phases, Bob...... :P

I think I will leave this alone.........for now.

Ron