Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
LJ4174

Default GulfStream Endura 6341 - International 4200 - ABS Light

Hi All...

So we recently moved out of state and purchased this RV and took it on it's maiden voyage. About 150 miles back home. About 100 miles into the trip I got an ABS light. I started reading about some of the scariness of that ordeal with this model, I'm not getting the buzzing or ringing. I had horrible luck on a previous RV and was hesitant to get back into it and a bit unsettled at this point.

I'm pretty sure this is just a sensor of some sort, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a fuse diagram of the fuse panel behind the dash on the passenger side? I checked the fuse box under the hood and all is well there.

Thanks...

LJ
LJ4174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
bhplumber

LJ,
I had an abs light come on when one of my rear calipers stuck on and created enough heat to melt the sensor. I would look to see if you have any wires hanging down near one of the wheels.
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
LJ4174

Thanks...

So... I wound up taking it to a diesel shop and they hooked the computer up to it and confirmed the faulty ABS wheel speed sensor I suspected. I got a new one, installed it and the light went out. I then drove it home and about an hour from home 2-3 hours into the trip, the light came on again. So now I have to figure out why... Again...

LJ
Old 11-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
SlimTim

LJ

I had the same issue as bhplumber on my 6400. I was going down a long hill and my ABS light came on part way down. When I got to the bottom of the hill I could smell the bakes on the right rear axle so I new the caliper was getting stuck and what sensor was causing the fault. After getting to my campsite I made sure the caliper could move freely on the caliper pins using a pry bar. When I got back home I purchased a new sensor from International; but I think you can get the sensor from any auto parts store. The sensor was easy to install and it fixed the ABS light problem.

I suspect there was some rust or dirt on the caliper pins that would not let the caliper release fully once it got hot. This caused an excessive amount of heat at the axle hub and damaged the ABS sensor. When I was refueling my 6400 at a truck stop on the way home, a truck driver actually told me this was a common issue on the larger over the road trucks. He said any time a break got overlay hot it would cook the sensor.

My suggestion would be to take the 6341 for a drive and apply the brakes enough to get them hot. Then pull over and see if any of the brakes are hotter than the rest; probably the same one you replaced the sensor on already. If you find one that is hotter than the rest I would look at the brake caliper to make sure it is not sticking and causing the ABS sensor to go bad. Good Luck

Tim
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
LJ4174

Thanks Tim and bhplumber...

This is exactly when it happened the first time. I was coming down a long steep hill on the brakes. The 2nd time however, I stopped at a toll both. I suppose it still could have gotten hot, slowing down from 55-60. I will check this.

I got a crack in my front rotor as well. I seen that when I got the new tires put on. It's recommended that I replace rotors and pads on the front. Wondering if I should do them and calipers all the way around. That should be cheap...

LJ
Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
Tered0712

Default Endura 6341 Had the same problem

Driver side rear ABS sensor melted. After replacing the light stayed on. Drove 450 miles home as the electrical and hydraulics worked fine. Took it to my repair shop who found that when the sensor shorted, it fried the return signal wire in the harness (actually in three places the wire had to be replaced) Has worked fine now for 4200 miles. Good Luck
Tered0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
LJ4174

So quick update... I took it to a place to have the brakes checked and fixed. For some reason, as I drove there the ABS light went off. Turns out my front right caliber was stuck, which the mechanic said could have probably caused the rotor to crack. I replaced front brakes all around, pads, rotors &calibers. They checked my rear brakes and everything was OK there... Drove it about 35 miles home and all seems well. Using it for a 300-350 trip to head back home for Thanksgiving, so we'll see how that goes...