Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
LTC_R

Default Getting ready for winter storage

I searched the site and couldn't find anything so here's to a new topic. With winter just around the corner I'm thinking about storing my Supernova 6400. My old 20 ft micro class c Winnebago was easy - drain the hot water heater, open the water line drains, blow out the line, drain the holding tanks, toss in some anti freeze, add some sea foam to the fuel, park it in the barn, put on the trickle charger, and see it in the spring. Well the 6400 won't fit in the barn, has a washing machine, more feet of water line then I know what to do with, and a Diesel engine that I know very little about.

Trying to find a cover for this is impossible, one made for a class C is not tall enough and I think one for a class A won't fit right. It has a hot water heater bypass that helps with that part. I figure that I will need to pay special attention to the washer/dryer but I really don't know if there is something that I need to do to store a diesel. Any ideas would be appreciated as this will be outside for the cold midwest winter. The old farmers almanac says lots of snow an sub zero temps. Much as I'd like to winter in the warmer climes, that just isn't possibe at this time. Thanks.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
LabCab

Default Re: Getting ready for winter storage

Well it isn't much different than any other MH. Do the water lines like you'd do / did before. I pull the rod on the HWH
(Not sure you need to I just do) after I drain it all and blow it out, I run RV antifreeze through the system. Just started to do this 3 yrs ago. Didn't want to take a chance NE winters have been bad of late. Put some AF in all the drains and in the tanks. I also make sure the tanks are empty. The washer line should have some antifreeze in it as well. I also like to take the nozel-sprayer end off the out side shower sprayer. Tjhis has worked for me so far for 6 yrs.

Just common sense things like get rid of any food stuffs that will freeze or be snacks for the critters. I also pick up some packs of "Cab Protector" they are herb pouches with rodent repellant. THEY WORK. They are for Combines etc. where the critters will go in the winter. Tractor supply or a good farm store will have them, they may be called by other names.

The Diesel is a piece of cake. Check the fluids, (put a couple cab protectors where they may want to nest) I put in some Power Serve Diesel Fuel Suppliment with the Artic Range. Helps on not having a gelling effect. Also some Deisel Stable will help too. I have a trickle charger on and the rig plugged in all the time.

I have not found any where where you can get a Cover for a Super C in the size for a SN 6362. If you find one let me know. Hope this all helps.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
LTC_R

Thanks for the insight. I found the manual for the Washer/Dryer on line and it looks fairly simple to winterize that. I stopped by the Farm Supply store this weekend and found a product that wasn't called a cab protector, but looks like it is designed to do the same thing. I ordered an elbow fitting and picked up 20 inches of tubing to put on my water pump so I could pump some antifreeze through the system. I appreciate the reply and really just wasn't sure what to do with the Diesel, it really sounds pretty straight forward.

Gonna price out a metal carport this week......Thanks again.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
Old 10-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
LabCab

Happy I was of help. The stuff you got was correct. Yellow box red lettering? Couldn't remember the name. It does work. I get like 6 of them. 4 inside one behind the couch, one under the sink by HWH two in the 2 bedroom closets. one down in the rear where the water tank is (the little bastards get up there al the time). I also put in a trap. and one in the engine compartment area. They are not cheap but neither is a repaired wire. Let me know how you make out with the building. I'd like to find something to put up as well. Thanks Fred
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
LTC_R

I did get some prices on the metal carport. Just doesn't seem practical to me at this time. One large enough for a 6400 SN was between $7k and $9k, depending on the manufacturer and what bells and whistles you wanted. I like my 6400, but that amount of money will buy a lot of large, heavy Tarps, at Harbor Freight. If I was to buy a new tarp, rope, and bungies every year $7k would last me about 13 years at what I spent this year. I don't expect to be in the midwest that long.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
Old 01-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
LabCab

Thanks! First snowfall here in NJ. I'm thinking of warmer pastures as well. Happy New Year!