Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
Texas Shriner
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boerne
Posts: 15
Default Horn Inop - repaired

Well the horn quit working on the 2008 Independence (F53). I got out my trusty DMM and buzzed out the relay (good), fuse (good), ground (repaired/good). Sigh. Removed steering wheel cover and buzzed out the switch (good) and finally the clock spring (no good and replaced).
Well that was a pain in the ass....hope this helps someone in the future.
Texas Shriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Shriner View Post
Well the horn quit working on the 2008 Independence (F53). I got out my trusty DMM and buzzed out the relay (good), fuse (good), ground (repaired/good). Sigh. Removed steering wheel cover and buzzed out the switch (good) and finally the clock spring (no good and replaced).
Well that was a pain in the ass....hope this helps someone in the future.



Just ordered one (clock-spring) for my 2000 E250 tow vehicle. It's the cruise control that quit on me.



Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #3
Big Shasta
Member
 
Big Shasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Panama City Beach
Posts: 60
Default

I have an intermittent horn on my MH. I've tried to get the horn button off and even with all the screws out of the bottom, it just doesn't budge. It's the standard freightliner wheel with no buttons on it and the horn bar across the bottom.

I'm thinking clock spring is likely my issue as well.

Tricks?
__________________
2006 Gulf Stream Crescendo 8356
First Timers!
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
I have an intermittent horn on my MH. I've tried to get the horn button off and even with all the screws out of the bottom, it just doesn't budge. It's the standard freightliner wheel with no buttons on it and the horn bar across the bottom.

I'm thinking clock spring is likely my issue as well.

Tricks?



I thought I posted this before.


You don't have a "clockspring" on a Freightliner wheel.


Check the horn itself. (hit it with 12 volts and see if it blows).
Look for a horn relay and see if it checks out. (press the horn button and see if there is 12volts out)



Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
Big Shasta
Member
 
Big Shasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Panama City Beach
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I thought I posted this before.


You don't have a "clockspring" on a Freightliner wheel.


Check the horn itself. (hit it with 12 volts and see if it blows).
Look for a horn relay and see if it checks out. (press the horn button and see if there is 12volts out)



Sudsy
It blows depending on wheel position and how hard you hit/wiggle the button . Why I thought I had a bad clock spring...but, if it doesn't have one, my issue is likely whatever type of slip ring the wheel has...if I can't get into it I'll never know/fix it.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 258
Default My Wheel

I am not sure if my Work Horse wheel is the same as yours. And beside that I have never taken it apart. Try to find someone that has taken one apart. It mat be a matter of prying the rubber material (if it's like mine). And you are right about the slip ring for the horn.



But my air horns sound like a cruise ship!


Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-05 16.17.58.jpg (175.3 KB, 1 views)
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
bjcarlin71
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Default Loose ground

I had all sorts of trouble with my console electronics, including the air horn switch. If I had a certain combination of lighter/12v outlets in use, the levelers would function properly. Sometimes it was the slides and constantly cut out the backup video! I kept poking around behind the panel and finally found two things - one, a loose connection on one of the 12v outlets which wreaked havoc with several panel buttons, and a loose ground that affected just about everything. Once I installed our grandson in the panel to hold the connections tight, problems resolved. Seriously, be sure all connections are tight and secure. And if some wires are too short to allow you to take the panel off far enough to carefully examine each wire, cut the offenders and splice in some additional wiring. Once off, you might find some interesting things in there if it's a previously owned coach. I found an auxiliary input wire to the stereo/CD/backup camera onto which I installed a small Bluetooth receiver. Now I can use my phone wirelessly for music. Also found a hidden 12v receptacle. I connected wiring to a 12v light we use on the steering wheel. Just like loose screws all around the coach, check your wiring connections regularly.


2008 Tourmaster 40F
bjcarlin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #8
Big Shasta
Member
 
Big Shasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Panama City Beach
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I am not sure if my Work Horse wheel is the same as yours. And beside that I have never taken it apart. Try to find someone that has taken one apart. It mat be a matter of prying the rubber material (if it's like mine). And you are right about the slip ring for the horn.



But my air horns sound like a cruise ship!


Sudsy
It is nice and loud, When it will blow. My buddy has a 2015 Entegra Anthem and he's jealous of my horn....(I'm jealous of everything else about his coach).

Here's a pic of the wheel, the horn button is the bar across the bottom (it's upside down in the pic). There is 2 screws behind it that I took out but nothing gets loose and I don't want to start prying things off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crescendo 7.jpg (130.4 KB, 3 views)
__________________
2006 Gulf Stream Crescendo 8356
First Timers!
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.