Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
kito

Default SuperNova International Engine noise?

I am looking at purchasing a SuperNova 6400. Can anyone comment on the engine noise with the International platform and engine? I drove the smaller units built on the GMC engine and they were not that bad at all but i have not driven or ridden in an international. Thanks.
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Texas TC

The International chassis is a class 6 truck platform. Having said that, it is expected to drive and sound like a class 6 truck. After two years and 27000 miles, I still love mine. Some folks think they are too loud. I have not found that to be true most of the time. I had a Kodiak chassis coach before and find it to be comparable in sound.

The engine has a fan clutch. When engaged, it is much louder than when in the idle mode. The fan cuts in from 210 degrees water temperature until it cools down to 190. In the winter or cooler climates, it rarely cuts in. During the summer months and in warmer temperatures, the cycle is more often.

You need to drive one of these beasts to know if it is acceptable to you or not. As I stated before, I truly love my SuperNova. The way these things drive in all kinds of adverse road and wind conditions is unbelievable. If you are truly looking at a Super C, please give one a test drive before you make your purchase decision.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Georunner

This issue has come up several times on this and other forums. It is a matter of personal wants and desires. We don't find the noise level in our Super Nova to be objectional at all. On a trip to Wisconsin last summer, during the heat of the day, the fan would cycle on routinely, and that was louder than when not on, but we could talk, listen to the radio etc. without problem. In our opinion, the drivability of the Super Nova greatly outwieghs the minor noise put out by the engine. As Texas TC said, drive one before making up your mind.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
JimBob

As GeoRunner said, you can check this or other forums for replies on this issue. What the others have said holds: test drive before you buy. The 6400 is a Class 6 truck. The engine is right in front of you. It is not comparable then, to a Class A with the engine 40 feet behind you, if that is your concern. There is a fan motor that will engage for the first five miles or so when you crank up, and rarely, kick in as you are going down the road, but Miss Bette and I have found the engine noise to be totally acceptable in our 6362, which we have had for a year now. The International has performed flawlessly, save for replacing a cooling hose, and all we have had done is routine oil changes. A turbo was replaced under warranty, and we have been very happy with the engine package.
There are other 6400 owners on the forum, perhaps they will check in for you. Good luck on whatever you purchase.
Jim Bob
08 Super Nova
Currently in Greenwood, SC
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
psharri

Default Re: SuperNova International Engine noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kito
I am looking at purchasing a SuperNova 6400. Can anyone comment on the engine noise with the International platform and engine? I drove the smaller units built on the GMC engine and they were not that bad at all but i have not driven or ridden in an international. Thanks.
I have a 2008 Endura with VT 365 engine. It is so loud on hills that my wife and I can not hear each other or have a conversation without yelling. Between the clutch fan and the engine noise my wife has to move to the back.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
dsomonster

6400 owner here. The noise is comparable to the 6362 we rented several times before purchasing.
In fact it is exactly the same.
A friend in our camping group just upgraded and purchased one of the new 6373 models and we just went on the first shakedown trip. I rode with him to fuel up and show him the ropes regarding propane and water before leaving and it sounds exactly like the 6400.
I just had the 1st year service done and no problems to report. The motor is a little sluggish on steep grades with the 20' trailer I tow behind, but nothing too bad.
I love my rig and will not trade for a class A. Just my preference.

Don't take our word for it. Test drive and I think you will be surprised.

-Ron in SoCal