Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
aux_man

Default Sorry th hear all your problems...

I have been reading hundreds of posts from GS owners on this and other RV forums. The consensus is always the same; dont buy a Gulfstream. Even those who have tried so hard to get by the multitude of minor problems cannot really express any level of satisfaction. And where did this company get there dealer base? I have been contemplating the purchase of a RV after having been through all the same issues with shady boat dealers/manufacturers and over 100K in losses. I love the open air, water and mountains, but I am really wondering if traveling around the country in one of these things really all that fun? I think I will see if Winnebago is an different.

Best wishes
aux_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

I am a repeat buyer of Gulf Stream in the fact that this is our second diesel pusher coach that has the GS name on it.

Did we have problems when we purchased them, Yes, BUT as a whole I would purchase another Gulf Stream if when we were ready GS has one with the floor plan, ETC. that we want.

One must remember that people only complain and put in print about the negatives of anything, that is human nature. If you read about all the other RV manufacturers you will find they all have the same or similar complaints. What really makes one manufacturer better or worse is how they handle the problem that their customer has.

As for myself, Gulf Stream has always worked with me and the dealer to take care of any problem that has came up with our coaches. I have heard others that did not have a good experience, but many times it is actually a problem with the dealer's service or lack of where the problem lies.

Could Gulf Stream improve? Sure, all the manufacturers could and should. Any business that does not, will not be in business in the future.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Roy Buzzard

I would agree that people only tend to write about the negatives, However, GS is the 3rd manufacturer I have purchased a unit from and I have never had any problems from the others. My GS constantly has something else wrong with it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Roy,

I know exactly how you feel. In June they had to put a new driver's side front fender on our coach because the original cracked when we sitting in Florida in Feb. New fender looked great, paint job was perfect.

Four weeks later it started getting a "dent" in the front part of the fender, then one started towards the rear of the fender. Dents and ripples started showing up all along the top of the fender.

Well, Gulf Stream approved of the dealer to install another fender and I took it in on Oct. 25th since we wouldn't be using the coach until we leave for Florida after the holidays. The dealer called and said it was done last Friday.

Today, we went to pick it up. The fender looked good along it the two other items they were to repair. I stepped back to look at the fender at a distance and what is that???

The "waist trim" above the fender is cracked!! That wasn't cracked when I bought it in to the dealer. Back inside to the service manager I go, he got ahold of the body shop manager. He looked at it and agreed " Yep, it's cracked." So now the coach is still at the dealer's now waiting on a new "waist trim" molding to be shipped from Gulf Stream.

Dealer's body shop had to have cracked it..Grrrrrrr..

They are supposed to have it shipped FedEx overnite from GS and I am going to contact GS Parts Manager to see that it is. Gulf Stream has done this before on the fender that put on in June when I asked them to so that we could go to our rally.

Yep, Always something, but this is actually our fifth RV from three different manufacturers, Guess what? The only RV that I didn't have a problems pop up after the first month was our first Gulf Stream coach.

Dummy I should have kept the other coach.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
gsadmin

From what I have seen and read online, all RV manufacturers have quality issues. Unless you are talking about >$250K coaches, the way that they assemble these things and some of the parts and techniques they use can only be categorized as "mickey mouse" by myself and others. But, because all of them are basically the same in that manner, you roll the dice and choose the manufacturer that you believe has the layout, features, and value you desire. Since there are so many inconsistencies in the manufacturing processes for most all RVs it really is a crapshoot RV to RV and serial# to serial# whether or not you will get a good one or a lemon.

Now, the real issue...select a coach based on dealer and manufacturer support and service. This is where I (and others) have the biggest issue with GS. This is the reason that I created the petition to encourage GS to release technical docs like Winnebago and others do. That way we can maintain and fix some of these byproducts of inconsistent manufacturing AND design.

I do not believe that people only post the negative...this post itself proves that incorrect. True, the balance is probably 80/20 bad to good where the reality is the reverse, but ultimately how the companies respond to the negative issues they have is where great companies shine through. I will let you decide for yourselves where unanswered email and closing down and deleting posts from their web forum places GS on that customer service continuum.

For the record, despite its quirks, I love my GS coach. Is it perfect, far from it, its just the balancing act that you must do when deciding on an RV.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
treecounter

Send a message via AIM to treecounter

We bought a used 03 Friendship Form La Mesa RV in Coburg OR. They did all the repairs we pointed out before delivery. Some body work and minor things inside. You can't tell where the work was done. They closed the Coburg store and we had to take the rig to Portland for th 30 day warranty work. They then closed all their NW stores and we had to deal with San Diego over the phone. The only problem we were having was getting the registration papers. Each time they closed a store the papers got sent some where else and were on the bottom of the pile. Customer Service got our paper work done and we finely got our plates and registration. We haven' had any problems with the rig other than the ones they took care of under warranty. A real bad leak around the front AC. Seems the factory hadn't snugged it down. We like our coach. So far we haven't had any of the problems we rear about La Mesa either. We get right through to Customer Service when we call and they do their best to take care of us.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
georgn

I am to have been satisfied with the coach. The only problem is cutomer service from GS. I contacted them numerous times with little problems and three out of four never got resolved. GS in most cases never calls back or replies by e-mail. The coach is not a top level coach as far as price is concerned, however, for the average joe it's a pretty good investment.
My biggets problem is with the gel-coat on the street side, it looks like the coat is fading and discoloring, after contacting GS, I was told to contact the people that do the gel-coating, they tell me there is no warranty on the coach anymore. So, I am left to either get a lawyer, which I can not afford, or get the coach repainted.
Somewhat of a long ramble, but it's frustrating to deal with GS.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
tearza

Default 2005 Sunvoyager

This the second gulfstream I have owned. I have had some problems getting warranty work done but have been very persistent in getting gulfstreams approval on warranty work. Before owning a gulfstream I had a Alfa See ya and it had so many problems I finally had to sell it. Most of the warranty work on the gulfstream have been minor except for the bed slideout which I'm trying to get addressed at the present time....Every RV Manufacter needs to improve on their quality control...They would be saving alot of $$$$$ On having to pay for warranty work...
tearza is offline   Reply With Quote