Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
JimBob

Default Heads up for Brake Controller Unit failure

Hi gang, heads up for all:

Unit: 2008 Super Nova 6362
Current Mileage: 25923

Symptom: While traveling on US 78/I22 towards Birmingham, we were met with a combination of three warning lights and a buzzer. The dash lights were ABS, Brake Pressure and Yellow Brake Light. The buzzer was constant.

We pulled over at once, did have braking power, did not notice any diminishing brake power. Consulted the International Manuals, not much help there, other than some ominous warnings about getting it checked out right away.
Since we were not in a safe position, decided to move to one. When we turned the engine back on, the lights and buzzer stopped warning. All clear. Figuring at that point we just had a stuck sensor, we drove on. About 30 minutes down the road, the attack of the buzzer and lights re-appeared. We were at an exit with a Wal Mart, so there we went. Called Coach Net- bless them, and they decided to err on the side of extreme safety and ordered us towed to nearest facility. More about that in another post.
Towed to Columbus. Mississippi, to Waters International. Almost at once, they identified the source of the problem as a ?bad brake controller.? Our repairman went on to say words to the effect that International knows they have an ongoing problem with this part, and indicated that they had replaced almost all of the units on their 4200 chassis school busses for the local districts.
They had to order a FRK or field replacement kit- it took about 3 hours of labor, can?t say how much the part was, but it looked really, really expensive! It was replaced under warranty, which for this part is 2 years. We got in under the wire, as our coach is 1 year and 11 months old.
The mechanic indicated we could have driven the coach without loss of braking power, but I was happy to have the tow. He said that on the 4200 models with the push button old style emergency brake, as opposed to the pull up handle emergency brake we have, causes the truck to go into limp home mode, and stops the vehicle literally in its tracks. Hate to imagine a school bus full of kids jerking to a violent stop at 55 mph!!!!
The folks at Walters were super, got us in and out ahead of a lot of other folks- let us keep the unit inside in 24 degree weather.
Hope all benefits from our experience..
Jim Bob
http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
mfa

I love a happy ending. Sniff...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Georunner

Sorry about your difficulties, but your experience points out one of the advantages/disadvantages to the SuperNova. I have found the International shops very good to work with. I think I get a bit better attention and service than someone like say the local Ford or Chevy dealer working on a RV. The disadvantage is International places are a bit harder to find. (I have had GREAT service from shops other than International, it just that on a large rig, it seems International truck service centers are better able to handle things.)
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
pchicky

Thanks for the heads up Jim Bob.....I had a brake warning buzzer on I-70 in Kansas last year coming back from Colorado....pulled over, had good brakes, went to the next exit to get to a safer location. Shut the engine down, and voila', no more buzzer and it hasn't come on since. HOWEVER, given your post, I'm gonna have mine checked at the next oil change.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote