Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Rhodesia

Default Fresh Water Tank Question

Hello I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 37 foot motor home I filled my 70 gallon fresh water tank up before my trip and when I arrived at the RV park they had a water line break so I used my on board tanks for a day well within an hour my water was turning black like charcoal color looking. The motorhome is not leaking inside nor do I have any line breaks my tanks have been cleaned so I have no ideal. I'm now using the RV parks water system now. so my question is do I need to have my tanks cleaned out again? I have a water filter system but it does not have charcoal in it. Thank for any ideals that will help.
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Restorium

Black sounds like mold. I would take it back to whoever cleaned your tanks and ask them what is going on. Potable water is a serious thing. People need to treat their tanks better.
I have two separate tanks, a pump, and a faucet just for drinking water. Before that I used jugs just so I knew I had good water to drink. Dirty tanks and plumbing is no joke. Plastic remembers. You need to start with food grade and stay with food grade. Putting antifreeze in a tank you will drink out of and pumping that stuff through your plumbing doesn't make sense to me.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Rhodesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Black sounds like mold. I would take it back to whoever cleaned your tanks and ask them what is going on. Potable water is a serious thing. People need to treat their tanks better.
I have two separate tanks, a pump, and a faucet just for drinking water. Before that I used jugs just so I knew I had good water to drink. Dirty tanks and plumbing is no joke. Plastic remembers. You need to start with food grade and stay with food grade. Putting antifreeze in a tank you will drink out of and pumping that stuff through your plumbing doesn't make sense to me.
Thank you after I hooked up to the RV parks water system I was still getting black coal looking water until I let it ran until it was all flushed out. I do have a water filter system just for drinking and no black coal looking water came out of it. I'm just going to have to drain the fresh water tank and take it back to have them really flush out the entire water lines.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
juan

I would think that somewhere you do have charcoal in the system. Or who ever cleaned your system used charcoal. If your fresh water tank has a drain, drain some out and see what color it is. If it's clear you have a filter that needs to run a little longer to flush out the charcoal residue. If the water in your tank is gray you need to go back to whoever cleaned your system, they probably used a system that included charcoal filters.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
Rhodesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan View Post
I would think that somewhere you do have charcoal in the system. Or who ever cleaned your system used charcoal. If your fresh water tank has a drain, drain some out and see what color it is. If it's clear you have a filter that needs to run a little longer to flush out the charcoal residue. If the water in your tank is gray you need to go back to whoever cleaned your system, they probably used a system that included charcoal filters.
Thank you the water has that charcoal color look to it in the fresh water tank I will go back to the RV place that cleaned my tanks So far I'm using the RV parks water system with a Water filter so far no problems with charcoal color water coming out of the sinks. again thank you for your help