Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Rv12

Default Fuel Tank Issue

Has anyone had problems with crossover tube not working on Supernova 6400? Just ran out of fuel on the highway with 70 gallons of fuel in the left tank. Was able to place some fuel in the right tank, bleed the fuel canister and start the truck to make it to the next gas station to get diesel fuel. The RV ran out of fuel with 70 gallons of diesel fuel in the left tank...and we were only 40 miles away from home after traveling 2200 miles. Fortunately we ran out of fuel in the right tank on a beautiful night with cell coverage, but the shoulder was very narrow and the cars and trucks were blazing past us in excess of 75 miles an hour. Fortunately the hazard lights and triangles we placed behind the RV prevented us from being ran into. Taking the RV to the shop next week to be repaired, but just curious if anyone else has had this same problem. We love the RV, but running out of fuel with 70 gallons of fuel in the left tank was very unexpected. Looking forward to any advice or comments. Thanks.
Rv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
rld63

Wow!. I love our 6400 but really wish it had gauges for each tank. I am always concerned about how much fuel I really have on board. Glad you made it home safely.
Roy.

2008 SuperNova 6400 Grand Hotel
Pulling a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
rld63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Rv12

We also love our 6400. I usually reset the trip odometer every time we fuel up and refuel when it hits 800 miles. Can get 1100 miles when both tanks are full, but 800 miles ensures the tanks never run dry. Just do not understand why it ran out of fuel this time with 520 miles on the odometer. When I checked the left tank, it was full...and the right tank was empty. Will know what caused the problem soon, because it is going in the shop on Monday. Will let everyone know what I find out.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
Automan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv12 View Post
Has anyone had problems with crossover tube not working on Supernova 6400? Just ran out of fuel on the highway with 70 gallons of fuel in the left tank. Was able to place some fuel in the right tank, bleed the fuel canister and start the truck to make it to the next gas station to get diesel fuel. The RV ran out of fuel with 70 gallons of diesel fuel in the left tank...and we were only 40 miles away from home after traveling 2200 miles. Fortunately we ran out of fuel in the right tank on a beautiful night with cell coverage, but the shoulder was very narrow and the cars and trucks were blazing past us in excess of 75 miles an hour. Fortunately the hazard lights and triangles we placed behind the RV prevented us from being ran into. Taking the RV to the shop next week to be repaired, but just curious if anyone else has had this same problem. We love the RV, but running out of fuel with 70 gallons of fuel in the left tank was very unexpected. Looking forward to any advice or comments. Thanks.

Haven’t exierienced that but wondered about it It sounds like the fuel transfer from left tank isn’t happening as it should The computer gets level signals from sensors in each tank and controls the transfer pump and works to keep fuel level the same in both tanks In our 6400 as we go down the road we can watch the gage drop and then rise as the transfer happens then drop again then rise again It is a slow process but noticeable and works Suggest an International dealer should be able to diagnose and fix the concern
Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
LTC_R

My 6400 started having issues this year with the fuel. When the crossover pump tries to engage, it can't draw from the Driver tank and the fuel gauge wraps all the way around clockwise to 6, regardless of where it is, a red light comes on and it beeps. After a few moments it stops and resets going back to where the gauge was, with no fuel being transferred. Diagnosing this, I discovered my drivers tank fuel vent was not working properly, I guess it creates a vacuum in the tank that the crossover pump can't overcome. This caused the gauge error and prevented the fuel from balancing. I need to drop the fuel tank to get to the vent and replace it. In the meantime, I have been running with the drivers side fuel tank cap loose - allowing it to vent - and the problem has not recurred. This winter, I will be dropping the tank and replacing the vent.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
Automan

Thanks for that we’ve had our 09 for a year so still getting familiar Sounds like you’ve had more time with yours to get acquainted with it’s systems I appreciate your input How many miles do you have your rig ?
Old 10-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
LTC_R

No problem. It has just under 85K miles on the chassis and 4K on a new engine. It has been a learning curve, but really love it. I grew up in an RV family and as a kid it was the best way to travel - still is, so I guess I'm still just a kid.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
Automan

We are RV folks for last 50 years , The SN replaced our 06 32’ Bigfoot on Kodiak chassis Loved it But love the SN as well The SN has about 32000 miles Any weak spots I should watch for in coach or chassis ? Thanks
Old 11-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Rv12

Regret the delay with this response. Found out the sensors in both tanks needed to be replaced. Had the work done at an International shop. Drove the RV back into the garage for the winter. We really like the RV and this fuel tank issue was the first problem we encountered. We cannot wait for our next long trip...planning them out now.