Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #41
frog60

Default wholesale rv club

We bought ours through them. A lot less than the Texas dealers but of course further away. They always have specials going on so watch for them. Easy to deal with but my concern is with any warranty issues. (Haven't had any yet) I don't know how well I'll be treated by the other dealerships in Albuquerque.
frog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #42
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu
Default Re: mounting a tv and bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarrell
Has anyone mounted a TV on the bedroom wall of the 19 ERD? The wall seems flimsy and thin and am concerned about going thru into the shower.

Has anyone added a bike rack to the Visa? Any suggestions on the best place and method for a bike rack is appreciated.

thanks,
We added a receiver hitch for our bike rack, it's not pretty but it works. This was our second effort the bolts that came with the hitch kit initially sheared and I replaced them with stronger zinc alloy bolts. I also did not weld the support bar originally (part of what lead to the sheared bolts) So this design took trial and error but seems to work well. I am looking for some 3/8 U-bolts to replace my unusual looking bracket on the top of the bumper. Hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #43
pfarrell

Default bike rack for Visa

Hey Don, thanks for the reply about the bike rack. We are camper newbies.

Does your receiver hitch mount at the rear of the trailer? Where did you get the receiver hitch from and where is the bike rack from?

We will be picking up our new VISA 19 ERD on Saturday and any and all advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #44
DonMitsu

Congratulations on your new trailer. Sorry about the pictures here's a link to the pictures I tried to post. http://gallery.me.com/donherring#100240
It is a Buyers RV bumper mount hitch designed for a 4"x4" RV bumper. The Visa has a 2"x4" bumper so I took a piece of steel welded it to the forward side of the hitch and bolted to the rear most crossmember under the trailer. As I mentioned before I'm now using zinc alloy bolts and looking for zinc alloy u-bolts to replace the upper brackets. We got our bike rack at Academy but several places sell good hitch mount bike racks.

IMO Inspect it closely when you do your walk through, get a memory foam mattress pad, get a sway control hitch, create a checklist to make sure everything is secure and inspected, to use before heading out, and enjoy your new tt.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #45
pfarrell

Default bike rack for Visa and other

Good job on the bike rack. Any concerns with the 2x4 bumper being strong enough to handle the weight of the bikes while bumping along down the road?

Our Visa is suppose to have the optional upgraded mattress but it doesn't look or feel so "upgraded". Looks like a 5-6" thick typical mattress covered in blue floral cloth material.

We are in Houston and have only been camping together once a few weeks ago when we rented an R-pod and went to Lake Livingston State Park. We enjoyed it so much we decided to buy the Visa.

Do you have any favorite camp grounds in Texas that you could recommend for a long weekend get away?

Also, since we are camper newbies we will be having to buy everything for our camper. Any good on-line places for buying camper supplies? Any specific recommendations for water hoses, sewer hoses, etc.

We need to get a good trailer lock. Any recommendations?

thanks again for any advice.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #46
DonMitsu

Default Re: bike rack for Visa and other

Quote:
Good job on the bike rack. Any concerns with the 2x4 bumper being strong enough to handle the weight of the bikes while bumping along down the road?

Our Visa is suppose to have the optional upgraded mattress but it doesn't look or feel so "upgraded". Looks like a 5-6" thick typical mattress covered in blue floral cloth material.

We are in Houston and have only been camping together once a few weeks ago when we rented an R-pod and went to Lake Livingston State Park. We enjoyed it so much we decided to buy the Visa.

Do you have any favorite camp grounds in Texas that you could recommend for a long weekend get away?

Also, since we are camper newbies we will be having to buy everything for our camper. Any good on-line places for buying camper supplies? Any specific recommendations for water hoses, sewer hoses, etc.

Quote:

We have a 4 bike rack and put all 4 bikes on the back, without the custom brace we welded on to the receiver, the bumper had some twist that coupled with the weak bolts that came with the mount almost lead to disaster, even though when the bolts sheared my sons bike ended up inches from the ground but no bikes nor the rack were damaged. By welding the brace on and using stronger bolts I believe the bumper is more than strong enough for our Allen 4 bike rack and our 4 bikes.

Our mattress is very thin maybe 3-3 1/2", if yours is 5" you might try without a mattress pad. On ours the memory foam mattress pad made a huge difference.

Make sure you get a water regulator for your fresh water hose, not all campgrounds have them on the water spouts and it will protect your plumbing. Do get some sort of check list to use before leaving and when setting up http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-de ... -checklist and get a dirt dauber screen for the furnace vent (a must in Texas) We have a local RV dealer I get most things from (many things he threw in such as the sewer hose, water hose, regulator, etc), but much of what you'll need you can get at Wal-Mart. We looked very hard at the rPod but liked the layout of the Visa much better.

On your first trip go somewhere close for a dry run so if anything does go wrong you'll be close. You'll probably want to get a Texas State Park Pass free entry for a year to all State Parks and discounted camping will make it payoff very quickly. We're very big fans of the State Parks. In the summer Guadalupe River is fun, Dinosaur Valley is always fun, the TPWD web site is probably the best place to start http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/

Cograts again and enjoy your new Visa!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #47
tinapetel

Default Re: mounting a tv and bike rack

Quote:
Has anyone mounted a TV on the bedroom wall of the 19 ERD? The wall seems flimsy and thin and am concerned about going thru into the shower.

Has anyone added a bike rack to the Visa? Any suggestions on the best place and method for a bike rack is appreciated.

thanks,
I just mounted mine with 2- 5# capacity, 3M "stick-on" hooks stuck to the wall in the upper corner near the TV connectors. (my TV is only 7or8#)
l took off the "foot" on the flat panel TV and just hung it by the carrying handle on the hooks. It goes on and off the hooks easily. I left enough extra TV cable to lay the TV down on the bed without disconnecting,while we are traveling.

I also found an Insignia (Best Buy) LED 22" TV that just fits in the space for the TV near the front door. If you check the dimensions, there are several other 22" TV's that will fit this space.

Pete Collins
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #48
R-P

Hello,
it's my first time on this forum and it's look like a nice site.

I bought my first TT at the begining of August and it is a Visa 19RSD. Very happy with my new TT. It is a nice drive behind my Pathfinder.

But I had some issues like any buyer of a new TT as my dealer said to me '' Don't worry, everybody have small problems with a new TT''

I read this post and I have some problems similar than yours:

- I had my rear window and my brake light incorrectly sealed and leaks.
- My bunk bed reinforcement screwed to the rear wall felt.
- My fridge beeps on 12v
- Almost no reception of the radio

We did more than 2500km or 1500 miles into the last month into 4 week ends camping trips and we are very pleased by the product.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #49
DonMitsu

Congratulations on your new TT. We've had our Visa since June, I don't know if it's been outside in any serious rain but we have noticed no leaks at all. Did the dealer repair the leaks and any damage caused by the leaks?

Our bunk bed reinforcement did fall after I forgot to secure the bunk bed before traveling I repaired it and have made sure to secure it in the down position and it's been fine since then. If you travel without securing it a bump will turn the bunk bed into a hammer on the rear reinforcement.

The fridge problem is common and an easy fix, our dealer fixed it while I was signing the repair order. It's warranty, as many of the Visa's the fridge wasn't wired properly for 12v from the factory, so that is common.

We've been very hit and miss with the radio. We went to a campsite right after we got it and I thought maybe it had no antenna at all, took it to the dealer and all the local stations came in great. I haven't decided if it's the campsites or the antenna, but sometimes reception is good and other times non-existant.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #50
R-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMitsu
Congratulations on your new TT. We've had our Visa since June, I don't know if it's been outside in any serious rain but we have noticed no leaks at all. Did the dealer repair the leaks and any damage caused by the leaks?

Our bunk bed reinforcement did fall after I forgot to secure the bunk bed before traveling I repaired it and have made sure to secure it in the down position and it's been fine since then. If you travel without securing it a bump will turn the bunk bed into a hammer on the rear reinforcement.

The fridge problem is common and an easy fix, our dealer fixed it while I was signing the repair order. It's warranty, as many of the Visa's the fridge wasn't wired properly for 12v from the factory, so that is common.

We've been very hit and miss with the radio. We went to a campsite right after we got it and I thought maybe it had no antenna at all, took it to the dealer and all the local stations came in great. I haven't decided if it's the campsites or the antenna, but sometimes reception is good and other times non-existant.
Leaks have been repaired, but every time I come back from a trip, I inspect all sealant beads and repair/replace them when needed. I have now 2 windows redone. The water coming from the back window was visible on the wall and the leak from the brake light was visible where all the wires are coming into the trailer (under the lower bunk bed).

The bunk bed reinforcement will be repaired by my dealer before winter storage.

My dealer also redone the awning lower wood blocks. They were not very solid.
I also install a Maxair over the toilet fan.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #51
Two Beagles

Default Gulfstream Visa

TUPFAM,
I attended the Hershey, PA show this pass weekend. They had the Visa 19 and Visa 23 on display. The 23' is really seems to be a good size for short trips. Not a lot of storage, but well put together. We looked at the smaller Visa and decided it was a little cramped for two people and two dogs. I was impressed with what they did with a small trailer. Worth looking at if you are looking for a small trailer.
Two Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #52
RedBeard

Are there any updates on how everyones campers are holding up?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #53
DonMitsu

Default Still Happy

We're still happy with ours and currently planning our next outing for for New Years weekend. While I have done things to damage the trailer (nothing major) amazingly the kids and dog have yet to break anything, which is really pretty amazing). A couple of weeks ago we went camping with friends at a nearby Jellystone Park and my daughter had 5 of her friends and her hanging out around the dinette table and bunks (I have no idea why they weren't outside) but even with a half dozen 10 yr old girls crawling all over the inside of the trailer no damage.

Things that will cause damage:

1. Make sure you fasten the top bunk bed before traveling or it will act like a hammer and pound the support out of the wall

2. After dumping make sure to put the cap back on the dump pipe

3. Be careful around deep narrow dips coming out of gas stations (we've really had much less issue with ground clearance than I thought we would but you must be cognoscente of the low ground clearance.

Other than that we camp at least every other month and try to once a month. We've camped in the Texas Hill Country, Plains, Prairies, and Woods; in both hot weather and cold (Texas cold it got down below 40 one night) And we still believe this is the only trailer for our family as it met my goal for weight the wife's goal for bathroom with vanity and separate shower, and the kids desire for separate beds.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #54
RedBeard

thanks that is reassuring
Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #55
deltamark

Default Visa RSD Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard
Are there any updates on how everyones campers are holding up?
Picking our 2011 Visa RSD from the dealer service dept. tomorrow. Been in there for a few weeks. The water pump frequently would not pump water. I would have to take the pump hose off to prime it to get the water to run. They replaced the pump. This is the second time the pump has been replaced since I bought it in April. I'm kind of doubting that the pump is the problem.

I inquired about my black water LED reading 2/3 full all of the time. I also had this issue earlier this year and had it serviced. This time, they told me that they would take it apart, but if something inside the tank was obstructing the sensor, like hair or something, they would have to charge me for it. I told them to let it go.

Other than that, I'm having the lift kit installed. Have traveled a good deal with this trailer and the hitch bottomed out too many times when going in and out of driveways. Hope this solves it.
deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #56
lsnipes

Default Re: Gulf Stream Visa

Can you give me some info on the lift kit you mentioned? We have run into several sights that we could not get into due to the low clearance.
Thanks,
Old 03-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #57
deltamark

I really don't have any details on the lift kit. I had the dealer (Colerain RV in Cincinnati and Dayton, OH) order and install the kit in December 2010. I think it raises the trailer about 3 - 4 inches. Seems to be an apparatus that attaches to the trailer axel. Cost around $450 for parts and labor. The weather was getting bad then, so my 200 + mile drive home has been my only test so far. It was a noticeable improvement, though. I made it up and down driveways that I previously bottomed out on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnipes
Can you give me some info on the lift kit you mentioned? We have run into several sights that we could not get into due to the low clearance.
Thanks,
Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #58
brains77396

We picked up our Visa 23RBK a couple of weeks ago. Got 13.2 MPG towing with our Titan, which wasn't yet broken in. So far so good, but haven't used it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nissan-Visa.JPG (69.2 KB, 5710 views)
Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #59
toaobigal

Hello to all Visa owners, I just ordered a Visa ERD and can't wait for the month of May. That's when I'll take delivery, I live in Canada and the campsgrounds in my area are opening in May. In the meantime, I have to sell my PUP. Oh yeah, and I'm also a new member of this forum.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #60
deltamark

Congratulations on your new Visa ERD, toaobigal! I think you made a great choice. I also believe that with the continued increase of gas prices, the market for more lightweight, easily towable campers like the Visa will continue to grow. Looking forward to hearing your impressions and experiences with the Visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaobigal
Hello to all Visa owners, I just ordered a Visa ERD and can't wait for the month of May. That's when I'll take delivery, I live in Canada and the campsgrounds in my area are opening in May. In the meantime, I have to sell my PUP. Oh yeah, and I'm also a new member of this forum.