Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
72chevy4x4

Default overhead light options

anyone come across overhead light options instead of the 12v bayonet bulbs? is there a (powerful) led option? what about a 12v low profile florescent? considering heat and power consumption in my search
Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
David Bott

Hi...

When looking to add lighting or replace lighting in your RV, I would always look to LED. LOW power consumption and little to no heat.

Search eBay for your needs. But I use this guy...

http://shop.ebay.com/scintiluna_led/m.h ... ksid=p4340
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
ummalterman

Default Effective LED strip lights UK

Hello! 72 Chevy, Tom from England here, just spotted your name on this topic...you may recall me saying I was renovating our Sun Voyager bedroom/bathroom and ceilings etc., I have used some Very good LED lights from a chap based in London, UK.

He sells MR16 type, 2 pin, 60 LED, Warm white lamps that will fit into any standard MR16 Halogen fitting and they are excellent. They give a lovely warm wide-beam light equivalent to a 50 watt Halogen bulb without heat and only using 0.15 watts per lamp. (verified with my sophisticated voltmeter/charger setup)

Further, he has some 5 meters long, 300 LED strips that are only 8mm wide and 2mm thick, self adhesive on the back, again, in warm white. (a slight warm tinge of pink, NOT cool blue at all).
The strips could be simply stuck to the ceiling full-length and look great OR, if you're handy with a soldering iron, can be cut to any length, minimum about 3 inches, and wires tagged on to be used virtually anywhere. I have them inside wardrobes, under cabinets etc., they should last for many years without replacement. They use virtually no power so great for "Boondockers" as you call them.

Of course, I don't know if they use "MR16" type fittings in the US, and the lamps aren't cheap to start with...?49 for the strip light here in the UK, plus you'd pay postage, but a great product. The MR16 bulbs are currently ?4.30 UK here, MR16 fittings run about ?3 each here. So, don't know if that's helpfull, here's the website address so you can look for yourself.:

http://www.lustrumlight.co.uk/Strip_Lig ... arm_white/