Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
univmd

Default Gulfstream only Class C

I talked to Millie yesterday to get a replacement fog light for my 2008 Tourmaster. Alas she said that Gulfstream is not making any Class A's anymore and that they are only making Class C's. She literally told me that there is no demand for Gulfstream Class A's anymore by saying it's all about supply and demand from the dealerships.

So she didn't have any fog lights for me. But I did find them from the manufacturer for $75. Bought the RV brand new just last year.

I agree with David and Kate. There are many QC issues with our coach too. Next time we will also not buy Gulfstream.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #22
RayChez1

It is too bad to read that Gulf Stream is not manufacturing class A coaches. I alway thought TourMaster, Scenic Cruiser and Friendship coaches were a lot of coach for the buck.
I really believe this is temperary while the economy is down and has hurt a lot of companies. Good coach companies like Country Coach, Newmar, Travel Supreme have either gone belly up or like in Newmars case, they will only manufacture if you special order one.
The only companies that are still mass producing is Winnebago, Fleetwood and Tiffen.
But there is a lot of difference paying 300K for a TourMaster vs a Eagle for 600K.
I can't complain about my coach, it has been a good one, but I sure have read a lot of other owners that have had bad luck with their coaches. And that is really tragic because some of these folks have spent lots of money for their home on wheels.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #23
David Bott

IMHO, with GS, it all came down to Customer Service and MOSTLY QUALITY CONTROL! While most of the employees wanted to offer help and did when they could, it seems that the company was not so helpful. Their are a lot of great people at GS that has helped us, Dave, Cindy, Pauline, & Millie to name most.

But what I feel hurt GS the most, was the pure lack of care when it comes to the build process. No standards it seems. No QC it seems. A total lack of respect for the money being spent for their product.

Such a shame, for we now love our TM, seeing we did all the fixup that should not have been in the first place, but will look to Newmar we think for the next coach if and when that day comes. Also looking forward to seeing what the new Nexus comes up with, for the good people from GS that left are building that company. And being customer centric will be the goal.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #24
Jim

Default reply

I was at the Hurshey show last week and Gulfstream only had 2 motor homes there a class c and a class B. There were a few towables there but not much of a show for them. They say if you want a Motor home they will make one if you want to order it.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #25
RayChez1

I believe this is just a temperary thing while the economy is struggling. Since this company is a family owned company, they afford to be flexable. They are not the only one doing that, Newmar also in Nappanee, Indiana will only build the coaches to dealers that have the hard cash and ready on a sale. Country Coach was another company that would build you a coach on special order. I really believe that once the economy picks up which it seems like it is finally getting turned around from 750 thousand jobs being lost every month, we now are losing this month like 50 thousand. So I hope that this economy gets turned around and all these RV companies start manufacturing coaches again so that we have a big selection. Gulf Stream is doing exceptionally good on TT and Fivers according to Creech. So it is not like they are about to go belly up like some of these other companies that are not diversified.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #26
David Bott

I do not think they will go Belly Up. I think they will still not be able to manufacture a solid coach if and when they may start up class A's again. Most of the people that really cared about the product are no longer their. But even when they were their, their hands seemed to be tied.

No, do not think they are going anywhere...but I at this time, though we love our TM, I do no think a new GS would be in out future. And I say love only after we fixed almost 2 years of issues.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #27
univmd

Newmar is definitely not Gulfstream. There are many 2011 Newmar King Aires and Essexes (all over $600,000) for sale at dealerships. Newmar is still mass producing class A coaches and sending them out to dealers who have ordered them without finding a buyer first. Just google search 2011 Newmar Essex. Country Coach tried the smaller "we'll build it if you order it" business, but it was too late by then, and they were dissolved within a year before any orders came in. People like to see RVs at shows, and check out the latest RVs on websites. Gulfstream's website seems so out of date compared to other websites. The product catalog under Tourmaster is not updated, I am not sure why a current Tourmaster owner would want to buy another newer Tourmaster in the future if nothing has changed online.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
RayChez1

It is ashame that Gulf Stream owners (Shea family) have allowed their company to have such poor quality control and customer service. I always liked their top of the line coaches, but their were several issues that had to be taken care off by the new owners before it was ready for use. That should never happen with good quality control in a company. That is how reputations are built on whether your company will survive or not. I don't think the coaches of some of these other companies such as Tiffen or Newmar are built that much difference, but the thing about those to companies is that they stand behind there product and make sure that when that coach leaves the factory the customer is completely satisfied. While Gulf Stream has some kind of arrangement where they would push the coach through the assembly line and let the retailer finish the last minute touch ups, where your quality comes into the picture. The dealers have not done a good job of it and so Gulf Stream has built a bad reputation from some of unsatisfied customers. And that is really too bad because I have seen some TourMasters that are simply beautiful coaches. I even considered buying a Constellation, trading up from my Scenic Cruiser, but they stopped making the Constellation as to what I have read. I never did see one, just read about them and saw some pictures. It seemed that it would have been a hit and given other companies some competition.
I have forty thousand miles on my coach and is running perfect with no big issues, so we will enjoy it as long as that Cat engine runs. I am 67 years of age already, so I don't know how much longer this adventure will last. That is why I keep my two houses, one in California and one in Miami incase I get tired and just give to my daughter.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #29
11B

Good post Ray, you and I have been defending GS not only on this site but others for quite some time. I agree whole heartedly with you that a GS coach is every bit as good in all ways with many other builders but their customer care and QC stink. If you weren't able to get your coach back to the factory for repairs.

I will stack up my Friendship anytime option for option against any other builder out there. I was one of the lucky people that stayed on my dealer to fix all problems in the beginning and they were fantastic down to even a major paint touch up and a on the road fix that GS covered with a non-dealer under warranty.

At the time I purchased my 07 friendship GS had a Western Region sales rep. by the name of Joe that was great to work with and had come to them from Nemar that told me all builders were the same when it came to warranty work. He also contacted me on one of the new constellation they built for a great price but we couldn?t make it work. Funny thing is Joe had told me of some of the new option designs (fully curved cabinets) that GS had acquired that gave them the ability to really make some fantastic changes to the interior of their coaches.

Sad to say it looks like they never got to put them to use as the economy went south. Well I guess the Shea boys feel like if they can screw over the Federal Gov. like they did on the thousands of FIMA trailers they built why worry about John Q. Public.

Sad because I was and still am a satisfied customer
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote